Farmer/Golson/Jazztet Set

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this one. I thought it was out of print (not sure why), but it's not. What do you all think about it? Seven discs seems like a lot, but the two Farmer/Jazztet CD's I have make the idea compelling.

Alternatively, if anyone has one to sell, let me know!

Thanks for your thoughts.

It's very much in print and available either from Mosaic direct or as a Universal 'Euro-Mosaic'.

I got my copy from Zweitausendeins when they were doing those incredible 35 Euro deals some months ago.

It's an excellent set - consistently good material and I think Benny Golson's soloing was particularly fine during this period with a rich, warm sound. Not to mention the consistently excellent work by Farmer. Nice features too for trombonists Curtis Fuller and Grachan Moncur III (in some of his earliest recordings).

I always enjoyed the Argo/Cadet LPs of this material so this set was a shoe-in for me. Added bonus are the very nice solo albums by both Farmer and Golson, which are also included on this set.

An un-reserved :tup !

It's very much in print and available either from Mosaic direct or as a Universal 'Euro-Mosaic'.

I got my copy from Zweitausendeins when they were doing those incredible 35 Euro deals some months ago.

It's an excellent set - consistently good material and I think Benny Golson's soloing was particularly fine during this period with a rich, warm sound. Not to mention the consistently excellent work by Farmer. Nice features too for trombonists Curtis Fuller and Grachan Moncur III (in some of his earliest recordings).

I always enjoyed the Argo/Cadet LPs of this material so this set was a shoe-in for me. Added bonus are the very nice solo albums by both Farmer and Golson, which are also included on this set.

I agree. It is very nice having the Farmer & Golson solo lps. This set is a winner!!!

I also got this from Zweitausendeins - and I enjoy it much more than I thought I would. The band was really together, and the differently conceived albums from quartet size up make for varied listening. Not to mention the consistently excellent soloing from everyone involved.

Another recommendation here!

I actually prefer the solo albums to the Jazztet stuff, they don't seem so restrained musically. It's all good, though. :)

i completely agree :excited::excited:

Speaking of 2001, when are we going to see some action from those boys on Gillespie/Nelson/Rich. Come on gents, I'm waiting...

not in 2006 I would guess....

but another recommendation from my end for the Jazztet one. I enjoyed it much more than I initially thought and some disks have played frequently since I got it from...yes, 2001

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

This is one I haven't picked up - but only because before it was even on the horizon, I tracked down all the un-reissued LPs the band put out, and had also picked up the Golson Mercury LP, too - so you know how I must feel about the band. :P

Great, great music, and if there had been some unissued material on the Mosaic, I'd have been all over it. :tup

• 7 months later...

Don't have it yet, but it's been high on my want list for awhile now....all I gotta do is get my want list and my wallet speaking to each other again...then I'll grab it. I'm familiar with the majority of the sessions and I gotta say this is consistently some of the most enjoyable small group jazz of the era. You can't beat Golson...

Another :tup for this set!

The highlights for me are the two Golson quartet albums and the Jazztet Meets John Lewis, but actually all of the music is first rate!

The Jazztet stand out from "your usual ole hardbop" in that they have tighter arrangements (in fact: they have arrangements, simple as that...) and their music is more varied than just the usual strings of solos. Maybe the Mosaic to compare this most is the J.J. Johnson. The musical results may be a bit tamer often than say your ole BN album, but there's much more to grab your attention, too.