Clarke-Boland Big Band

Late

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well PERSONALLY I'd like to see them collect the radio broadcasts that were made and that I would love to hear. That's selfish because I've sought out all the released material and love it. . . don't really need to have it collected by Mosaic, but agree that it would be an awesome set (and would hip so many to this incredible band!)

Wonder what dealing Mosaic could do. . . .

Well PERSONALLY I'd like to see them collect the radio broadcasts that were made and that I would love to hear. That's selfish because I've sought out all the released material and love it. . . don't really need to have it collected by Mosaic, but agree that it would be an awesome set (and would hip so many to this incredible band!)

Wonder what dealing Mosaic could do. . . .

There's plenty of unissued CBBB material in the Gigi Campi archives, now in possession of Rearward/Schema label here in Italy. They have long been considering the possibility of a box set, and I think it will definitely happen (but in the long run).

Luca

Well that's good news.

I once saw a listing that included a number of hours of broadcast material. .. I'd really like to hear that as exciting as their live material I have heard has been!

Rearward has a whole bookshelf of CBBB tapes (and scores, and tons of assorted memorabilia). I saw 'em, it was like being in a candy store :blink:

Well that's good news.

I once saw a listing that included a number of hours of broadcast material. .. I'd really like to hear that as exciting as their live material I have heard has been!

Rearward has a whole bookshelf of CBBB tapes (and scores, and tons of assorted memorabilia). I saw 'em, it was like being in a candy store :blink:

:eye::eye::excited::excited:

That's GREAT news !

I've been looking forward to more CBBB gems on the Rearward website. The last new one they listed was 'Off Limits' I think.

And they do vinyl ! :tup

The latest edition of Michael Frohne's Kenny Clarke discography which comes with the recent German translation of Mike Hennessey's book lists a ton of radio and tv broadcasts, but not all of them were preserved. It will be hard to decide what to release and what not - there are dozens of versions of the same tunes.

Most of the studio stuff was reissued in some form on CD, by Koch, Collectables, Universal .... to have all of it in one place would still be nice.

AFAIAC it should start with the Don Byas EP session - the first with both Clarke and Boland.

A first box set could stop with the first session that introduced second drummer Kenny Clare on one track.

Edited by mikeweil

There were a couple of 2CD limited-edition sets that came out on the Italian label Emanon. They were issued in cooperation with the 'Jazz Is Universal ' society.

I have one of them which has tracks from four albums 'Volcano', 'Rue Chaptal','At Her Majesty's Pleasure' and 'Off Limits'.

Good remastering on these.

Any idea if additional sets came out?

There were a couple of 2CD limited-edition sets that came out on the Italian label Emanon. They were issued in cooperation with the 'Jazz Is Universal ' society.

I have one of them which has tracks from four albums 'Volcano', 'Rue Chaptal','At Her Majesty's Pleasure' and 'Off Limits'.

There were just these two, produced by Gigi Campi himself.

There were just these two, produced by Gigi Campi himself.

I think there were two more Emanon 2 CD sets, "Historically Speaking" and "The Power of Positive Swinging", aside from the one Brownie mentions which must be "Blowing the Cobwebs Out". Never seen any of them, though.

Edited by Daniel A

Perhaps I was in error, Mike. It is mentioned here:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/ency...edia/c/C148.HTM

and I also thought I remembered this from the shorter version of Frohne's discography which used to be available on the Internet (before the book was published, I suppose). But I was confused by some catalog numbers I had written down; do both Emanon 17039 and 17040 refer to the same "Historically Speaking" set?

I am a *big* fan of the CBBB. I got the recent re-broadcast on arte of that Francy Boland homage, including lots of music from different concerts as well as an interview with Gigi Campi in between, and portraits with footage of some of the more important band member (Klook, Clare, Griffin, Ake Persson, Benny Bailey...). Very, very nice.

And I have also been able to get a bunch of live recordings/broadcasts, and as much as I like the studio releases I was able to find (both Two Originals, the one with Getz, Smiles, More Smiles), these live sessions are absolutely superior. The band was a true band, very stable personnel, and not much about ego - in fact there are tracks with no solos or just short glimpses of solos, and everyone is fully present, everyone gets a chance on those tunes - granted, there were main soloists, mostly in the brass sections, almost no trombone solos that were not taken by Persson, and trumpet duties mainly taken care of by Bailey but depending on who else was in, you'll also hear fine Idrees Sulieman, Art Farmer or Dusko Goykovich solos.

Anyway, what struck me most, watching the Francy tribute DVD, was how together the band was, how they had their unique sound - and no matter if you like Clare or not, the twin drums were able to generate tons of heat, not just on their feature tunes like "Kenny & Kenny", they just turned in an irresistible forward-moving swing.

I forgot: as the studio stuff is so scattered around on many labels, and some of it has gone OOP fast, too, I'd welcome a studio box, too, but a collection of some of these half-hour broadcasts done for WDR, that would be the greatest! And please with one or two bonus DVDs including some footage, too!

I forgot: as the studio stuff is so scattered around on many labels, and some of it has gone OOP fast, too, I'd welcome a studio box, too, but a collection of some of these half-hour broadcasts done for WDR, that would be the greatest! And please with one or two bonus DVDs including some footage, too!

There's a great Boland DVD on 'the other site' (but you probably know about that I guess).

I am a *big* fan of the CBBB. I got the recent re-broadcast on arte of that Francy Boland homage, including lots of music from different concerts as well as an interview with Gigi Campi in between, and portraits with footage of some of the more important band member (Klook, Clare, Griffin, Ake Persson, Benny Bailey...). Very, very nice.

Woops - indeed you did get it. Missed this.

What a great tribute this programme is. 'arte' did him proud with this broadcast.

- and no matter if you like Clare or not, the twin drums were able to generate tons of heat, not just on their feature tunes like "Kenny & Kenny", they just turned in an irresistible forward-moving swing.

Love the way these two worked in tandem. Clare generating the fire, giving Klook loads of space to add the subtle fills and swing. Unbeatable !