Genesis reunion

Guy Berger

link

Rock veterans Genesis are to reform, 10 years after frontman Phil Collins left.

Collins, 55, with guitarist Mike Rutherford, 56, and keyboardist Tony Banks, 56, have agreed to take part in a major tour.

Genesis sold over 130 million albums during the '70s and '80s, despite losing singer Peter Gabriel in 1975.

A spokesman said specific details of the tour and "long term plans" including possible new material would be announced in the next few weeks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I know it would be covering old ground, I'd still like to hear a full Genesis reunion (even just a one-off performance) that includes Gabriel. I'd really like to hear PG cover some of that old material, informed by all the music he's done since.

No, it wouldn't be important, or even all that significant. Just something perhaps enjoyable. :)

And I say that as someone who isn't an early Genesis devotee. I've got way, Way, WAY more solo Gabriel than I do Genesis (pre or post Gabriel). Heck, I've even got PG's 3rd and 4th solo albums all in German, for cripe's sake.

I'd just like to hear his current voice covering some of that older material. Is that too much to ask??

I thought this was quite nice: Carpet Crawlers 1999 - Genesis (with PG!)

1ST OF ALL HOW DID YOU GUYS EVEN KNOW I LIKE GENESIS?!?!? DID YOU JUST ASSUME? I DONT THINK IVE TALKED ABOUT MY LOVE FOR GENESIS W/ U GUYS VERY MUCH....

....I AM HAPPY ITS COLLINS-LED GENESIS- GO PHIL!

...I AM GOING TO GO COMPLETELY CRAZY AT THIS CONCERT. I AM GOING TO BE AT THE FRONT ROW OF EVERY SHOW.

NO BUT SERIOUSLY I'VE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS SINCE LIKE 6TH GRADE I CANNOT WAIT TO HEAR ABACAB AND THE ENTIRE INVISIBLE TOUCH ALBUM. I LIKE WHEN PHIL SINGS THE OLD ALBUMS MORE THAN P.G. I HAVE BOOTLEGS OF THE 1ST TWO SHOWS PHIL DID SINGING AND EVEN AT THE 1ST TWO HE ROCKED. PHIL CAN SING ALL 20 MIN. OF SUPPERS READY JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN PG AND EVEN PG HAS SAID THIS IN INTERVIEWS. ANYWAYS THATS NOT WHAT IM HERE 2 ARGUE WHAT IM HERE TO ARGUE IS THAT I CANT WAIT FOR THIS I AM GOING CRAZY. I JUST HOPE I DONT HAVE TO BUST MY HUMP TO MUCH TO MAKE THE GIGS. I WOULD BE DOWN TO DO A VANCOUVER/SEATTLE/PORTLAND JAUNT AND THAT MIGHT SATISFIFY ME, I WOULD EVEN THROW A CALGARY/EDMONTON/SAN JOSE IN THERE IF I HAD THE OPTION. THIS HAS TO HAPPEN. THE BEST GENESIS SONG OF ALL IS 'DOMINO'

David -

Let me know how it goes. They play Hamilton, Ontario in November, not far from me. I've never seen them play, but they get lots of mention in the press. They have a Massey Hall gig in December, at twice the price of Hamilton! No one's yet mentioned it's a Canadian group :P Montreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yocu-pmnIO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJN9e7um0BQ

Edited by Robert J

Phil Collins is a great drummer, who has devolved into a shameful schmaltz-monger. That said, props must be given concerning this reunion--- he was working hard trying to influence Gabriel to do a Genesis reunion, and wanted to retain the spotlight for his true talent: hitting the skins. The only reason this isn't a genuine Genesis reunion, with Steve Hackett included, is because of Gabriel.

No, I got it. I was referencing the lyric from "Supper's Ready", which is the tune that Gabriel used the flower mask for.

Wandering in the chaos the battle has left,

We climb up the mountain of human flesh,

To a plateau of green grass, and green trees full of life.

A young figure sits still by a pool,

He's been stamped "Human Bacon" by some butchery tool.

(He is you)

Social Security took care of this lad.

We watch in reverence, as Narcissus is turned to a flower.

A flower?

If you go down to Willow Farm,

to look for butterflies, flutterbyes, gutterflies

Open your eyes, it's full of surprise, everyone lies,

like the fox on the rocks,

and the musical box.

Yes, there's Mum & Dad, and good and bad,

and everyone's happy to be here.

etc. etc.