Genesis reunion

Guy Berger

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUT DO THEY DRESS UP ALL COOL AND STUFF LIKE PG DID AT THE HEIGHT OF THEIR FAME AND FORTUNE? HELL YEAH!

Not only does The Musical Box dress up, the actually use the original costumes and sets from the 1970s Genesis shows! In all of the ads for their show, they feature a quote in which Peter Gabriel himself says that "they play Genesis better than Genesis." That could be read as a compliment to The Musical Box, but also as a slam at his former bandmates. After all, I don't think that reformed Genesis (minus Gabriel and Hackett) could perform all of "Selling England By The Pound..."

No, I got it. I was referencing the lyric from "Supper's Ready", which is the tune that Gabriel used the flower mask for.

I always thought "Supper's Ready" was a little overrated, but it's awfully good from "Willow Farm" onward!

Haven't listened to Foxtrot in a while. I love "Can Utility and the Coastliners"!

Guy

Yeah, but I don't blame PG. The guy has always looked forward, not back. It's just not his style.

Even Miles looked back a tiny bit, from time to time (OK, mostly only at the very end).

Still, it might be interesting if PG did look back once every other decade or so (and more than just one song). And by my watch, he really hasn't done any old Genesis material for a good 30 years, save for one song on a box set.

• 8 months later...

The setlist for the recent European tour seems to be:

Behind the lines

Duke's end

Turn it on again

No Son of mine

Land of confusion

In the cage

The cinema show

Duke's Travels

Afterglow

Hold on my heart

photo time

Home by the sea

Second home by the sea

Follow you follow me

Firth of fifth

I know what I like

set 2

Mama

Ripples

Throwing it all away

The domino principle

Domino

Drum duet

Los Endos

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

Invisible Touch

I can't dance

Official introduction of two people

Carpet Crawlers

I have to say that this is better than I would have expected.

Guy

Given the line up, I'd can 5 songs (No Son of Mine, Land of Confusion, Hold on My Heart, Throwing it all away, and Invisible Touch), and include 5 othesr (Your Own Special Way, Misunderstanding, Paperlate, No Reply at All, and Abacab), for what I'd call the best set list for the three man lineup:

Behind The Lines / Duke’s End

Turn It On Again

Your Own Special Way

Misunderstanding

In The Cage / The Cinema Show / Duke’s Travels

Afterglow

Paperlate

Home By The Sea

Follow You Follow Me

Firth Of Fifth / I Know What I Like

Mama

Ripples

No Reply At All

Domino

Drum Duet

Los Endos

Tonight Tonight Tonight (intro)

Abacab

I Can’t Dance

The Carpet Crawlers

Given the line up, I'd can 5 songs (No Son of Mine, Land of Confusion, Hold on My Heart, Throwing it all away, and Invisible Touch), and include 5 othesr (Your Own Special Way, Misunderstanding, Paperlate, No Reply at All, and Abacab), for what I'd call the best set list for the three man lineup:

"Your Own Special Way" was actually recorded by the quartet (w/Hackett), though it obviously fits stylistically with the later material.

Guy

"Your Own Special Way" was actually recorded by the quartet (w/Hackett), though it obviously fits stylistically with the later material.

Guy

Good point, but if they can do Carpet Crawlers and I Know What I Like, they shouldn't have a problem with that one. And like you say, it fits their style a little.

Good point, but if they can do Carpet Crawlers and I Know What I Like, they shouldn't have a problem with that one.

Well, I have a problem with it. It's not very good.

Though the live version with strings (on the Archives box) is nice.

Guy

Good point, but if they can do Carpet Crawlers and I Know What I Like, they shouldn't have a problem with that one.

Well, I have a problem with it. It's not very good.

:lol:

Ok, how about The Knife or something, then?

Edited by Aggie87

I don't think they ever performed The Knife without Gabriel. I don't think I'd want them to start. :)

Actually, they performed it at least twice during the 1977 tour. I don't know if it was the whole thing or just the abbreviated version.

A month or two ago Conn and I were discussing Genesis and he told me he didn't like "Carpet Crawlers". :o

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

I don't necessarily like it out of context, ie outside of the Lamb album. It's a good song, but it works better as a segue, imo.

Man... I think it is definitely the best thing on the Lamb, and one of the best things the band ever did. Great vocals by Gabriel and Collins, beautiful melody, gorgeous arrangement. I'll take it over "The Battle of Epping Forest" or "Return of the Giant Hogweed" any day. :wub:

It's a shame that none of their later pop songs were as good as this one.

Guy

Edited by Guy