Really good sounding jazz cds

J Larsen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how about it? What are some of the best sounding discs in your collection?

My best sounding jazz cd's (out of about 2000) are:

For jazz vocal, the new remastered issue of Dinah Shore "Dinah sings, Previn plays"

Recorded in 1959 to me it is the best recording of a female voice and the music is wonderful.

For piano trio Antoine Herve "Summertime" on the French label " Nocturne"

The Japanese label Venus remastered Bill Charlap "I'ts wonderful" maybe

a little too resonant but still spectacular.

AS mentioned lot's of ECM cds are excellent, it is consistently good and the new Tomaz Stanko "Lontano"

is no exception.

On the more commercial stuff Verve and Blue Note are doing some good work. DK and PB.

My disapointment of the year is the remastering 24 bits of June Christy "The Intimate June Christy"

The cheap 1995 2 fer cd is streets ahead.and still one of my favorite sounding cd, very natural.

How do they manage to mess it up is a mystery to me.

jazz1

As mentioned lot's of ECM cds are excellent, it is consistently good and the new Tomaz Stanko "Lontano"

is no exception.

Haven't heard the Stanko, but I know that the sound on every ECM jazz recording is heavily doctored i.e. equalized - e.g. there is no cymbal sounding like on those CDs.

As you mentioned Verve: the two drummerless trio sessions with Christian McBride - one with Bird tunes and Stephen Scott and Roy Hargrove, the other with Hancock tunes and Mark Whitfield and Nicholas Payton - are exvellently recorded: they even recorded the slient room to fill the pauses between tracks with natural silence and not digital deafness.

As mentioned lot's of ECM cds are excellent, it is consistently good and the new Tomaz Stanko "Lontano"

is no exception.

Haven't heard the Stanko, but I know that the sound on every ECM jazz recording is heavily doctored i.e. equalized - e.g. there is no cymbal sounding like on those CDs.

???

The Tord Gustavsen CDs I have from ECM are about the best CDs in my collection ... in regard to those two CDs, I can't follow your argument at all.

is no exception.

???

The Tord Gustavsen CDs I have from ECM are about the best CDs in my collection ... in regard to those two CDs, I can't follow your argument at all.

To my ears there's something "artificial" about the sound on the ECM CDs I have, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

is no exception.

???

I've been away a while from the board suffering from an acute bout of audiophilia; the prognosis isn't good :P

Anyhow, having got some nice new headphones and still on a quest for a decent amp, I've been scouring my collection and constantly being amazed at the sound of some of my discs.

As mentioned above, the Blackhawk sides are fantastic. Also, the Gustavsen albums sound like nothing else -- audio heaven, if you like the band that is --- luckily I was smitten with the music long before the upgrades came.

Check out Marcin Wasileswki's Trio on ECM too. He's the pianist with Stanko's quartet and the rest of the trio appear here. Bjork fans will love the rendition of Hyperballad.

I actually love Stanko's trio, they have "a sound" and if the recording is as good than the Guvtasen cd's

then it must be a winner. Thanks for the tip, I am placing my order now.

The recording hasn't as much reverb as the Gustavsen (imagine being recorded in a normal studio rather than a chapel :P ) but it's still top notch.