Really good sounding jazz cds

J Larsen

Back when I had a 1993 Onkyo receiver hooked up to a pair of 1994 Infinity speakers and a Philips CD player, all bought from Circuit City when I was 20, I had absolutely no clue what you guys were talking about when discussing the relative merits of McMasters vs. RVGs, etc. Over the last few months, I've upgraded to a Rotel amp, NAD CD player, and B&Ws (which a few of you were kind enough to advise me on)... all I can say is WOW!!! You guys weren't crazy after all! Some of the remasters I've A/B'ed on my new system are like night and day...

Sadly, I've found that some of my favorite discs are sort of lacking in the fidelity department (which doesn't make me love them any less). Anyway, I want to get a better sense of what my new gear is capable of, so I'm wondering what I might already have on my shelves that can really reveal its potential.

So how about it? What are some of the best sounding discs in your collection?

(God, I hope this doesn't mean I'm becoming an audio nerd...)

Edited by J Larsen

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What model B&W's?

704. I wasn't ready to spend more than a couple grand; I thought it better to ease my way into hi-fi.

A coworker offered me his 802s for $3k delivered to my door, but I felt a little bad spending that much and didn't want to spoil my ears - going from the Inifitys to the 704s is a huge enough leap for right now.

Hey Audio Nerd — nice set-up! :D Actually, that nearly replicates my own system (though my B&W's are bookshelf — and your system surely has a greater dynamic capability.) I also have a Rotel amp. I should probably have purchased a NAD cd player, but I went with a Rotel. It's a fine cd player, but its lifespan is dwindling after seven years.

If you don't have Gil Evans And Ten — the hybrid SACD version, that is — take a long coffee break and find it somewhere. Not only is it the only version in true stereo, but the sound is very fine, very rich. I love the music already, but the production on that one makes me love it even more.

Clifford Jordan's OJC two-fer Mosaic is another great-sounding disc (on my system, and I suppose yours as well). The session with Kenny Dorham puts the horn section right on your sofa with you.

There are a ton more, of course, but I'll leave it at two for now.

Edited by Late

Nice speaker, unfortunately it only goes down to 40Hz. I had the Nautilus 804's for a few years, sounded similar to yours, detailed with a constricted low end [you may disagree, but it's the truth]. A good subwoofer will take these speakers on the whole new level.

RE: cds. Start browsing ebay for the xrcd's; all of the ones I have sound tremendously detailed, which your speakers[and you] will appreciate. A real wow effect on your non-musical friends.

Nice speaker, unfortunately it only goes down to 40Hz. I had the Nautilus 804's for a few years, sounded similar to yours, detailed with a constricted low end [you may disagree, but it's the truth]. A good subwoofer will take these speakers on the whole new level.

RE: cds. Start browsing ebay for the xrcd's; all of the ones I have sound tremendously detailed, which your speakers[and you] will appreciate. A real wow effect on your non-musical friends.

I won't diagree with you on that - they are definately a lot more detailed in the high-end than in the bass. This is offset a little by the fact that they are in a small room, where a lot of the extra bass that I would get from an upgrade would be wasted or even counterproductive anyway. On a good recording, the cymbals sound like they're in the room, and the bass... well, it sounds nice enough to me for now.

Good tip on the XRCDs - I have an XRCD of Workin' that I picked up mispriced at Tower for about $12 a few years ago (is it my fault they went bankrupt???). I'll throw it in as soon as I get home.

The Sonny Clark Trio disc on Audio Fidelity. I think it's oop now, but you should still be able to find it fairly easily. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:28jweay64xh7 I know some of you guys have problems with Steve Hoffman, both personally and professionally, but this is one of the best-sounding discs I've ever heard. It's SACD, but has a CD layer as well.

I wouldn't classify myself as an audiophile, so I won't offer any recommendation other than just listen to what you already have. I'll bet that a lot of your old recordings will sound better when you listen to them on your new equipment. There may be a few that won't, but probably most will. Enjoy your new setup, and use it as a means to enjoy the music more.

I've found that recordings on the Japanese Venus label, as a rule, boast exceptional sound quality. Especially the piano trio sessions.

Up over and out.

I agree with Dave,the Venus recordings sound especially resonant (beautiful for piano trio).XRCD and K2's sound very nice as well as many ECM cds,including the new Tomasz Stanko cd "Lontano".

LISTEN UP AND ENJOY !! :rolleyes:

I'd recommend any SACD remastering of a Contemporary album - but the CDs also sound great, simply because they were recorded wery well in the first place.

I like the way Pierre Sprey records at Mapleshade, but this sound is not to everybody's taste ......

I will post more when I'm back home.

What ever happened to Lon, anyway?

Lon is still about. I've been talking less audio things for two reasons:

a) as my system has evolved everything sounds better and I've paid less attention to various remasterings, and I have so much to listen to, and so little discretionary funds, that I'm not upgrading necessarily, though I'm buying all the RVGs I can as I like the series and when I see deals on them I grab those I don't already have.

b) I've been spending the last 11 months helping my wife battle her lymphoma which has meant six full months spent in temporary lodgings in another city away from my collection and my stereo and listening to an iBook and Bose powered speakers and headphones (nice Sony for a while, now B&O A8s which I love). . . as a result I appreciate any music I have a chance to listen to and am not focusing on sonic qualities at all.

As regards polarity. .. I always pay attention on JAPANESE RVGs to polarity when I'm at home with my stereo. Most sound best when the polarity is reversed on speaker cabling. . . TO ME.

As far as recommending good sounding jazz discs. . . I'm so glad I have the "Louis Armstrong Plays W. C. Handy" SACD. I think that is a fantastic sonic presentation of one of my biggest sentimental favorites and I recommend seeking it out if you have an SACD player. I also really like the sound of the last two Miles Davis boxes, the Jack Johnson and the Cellar Door. Excellent cd remastering!

I'm not worrying to much about sounding although I do throw away records that tend to be following the loudness race or have other faults like over compression etc....

Actual labels I prefer that deliver both good sound and good actual (jazz) music are German ACT, Enja, the French Label Bleu, Austrian Quinton Records and Danish Stunt/Sundance.

Cheers, Tjobbe

What ever happened to Lon, anyway?

Lon is still about. I've been talking less audio things for two reasons:

a) as my system has evolved everything sounds better and I've paid less attention to various remasterings, and I have so much to listen to, and so little discretionary funds, that I'm not upgrading necessarily, though I'm buying all the RVGs I can as I like the series and when I see deals on them I grab those I don't already have.

b) I've been spending the last 11 months helping my wife battle her lymphoma which has meant six full months spent in temporary lodgings in another city away from my collection and my stereo and listening to an iBook and Bose powered speakers and headphones (nice Sony for a while, now B&O A8s which I love). . . as a result I appreciate any music I have a chance to listen to and am not focusing on sonic qualities at all.

As regards polarity. .. I always pay attention on JAPANESE RVGs to polarity when I'm at home with my stereo. Most sound best when the polarity is reversed on speaker cabling. . . TO ME.

As far as recommending good sounding jazz discs. . . I'm so glad I have the "Louis Armstrong Plays W. C. Handy" SACD. I think that is a fantastic sonic presentation of one of my biggest sentimental favorites and I recommend seeking it out if you have an SACD player. I also really like the sound of the last two Miles Davis boxes, the Jack Johnson and the Cellar Door. Excellent cd remastering!

Really sorry to hear about your wife - that's really horrible. I really don't know what to say. Best wishes.

I'm more than willing to try your reversed polarity for JRVGs suggestion - if I ever buy a JRVG.

I haven't played those last two Miles boxes in my system yet - that's the first thing I'll try when I get home.

Sonic quality is obviously of marginal importance compared to musical quality, but I'm finding that it can be fun all the same. I'm tempted to ask you about your perception of the virtues of Sony vs. B&O vs. Grado headphones, but there's probably another thread on that somewhere. Take care.

Thanks for the words about my wife and my life this year. . . .It's possible that my wife will be discharged from the hospital TODAY after 37 days in the hospital for a bone marrow transplant. . . we'll have to be here in Houston a few more weeks at least, but I'll be glad to not spend 12 hour days in the hospital with her and to have her more comfortably back at the "studio suite."

I've never heard any Grados. People rave about them. . .but people rave about everything. . . there's so much subjective reaction and reporting, and ultimately "one likes what one likes."

Edited by jazzbo

two sacd's that should have a place in your collection and are teriffic system demo discs;

bill evans: 'sunday at the village vanguard' and sonny rollins 'way out west'.

i think late's recommendation for the gil evans title was excellent, too.

welcome to audiophilia, it's a good thing,

-e-

ps: lately, i've been *really* enjoying the coltrane 'fearless leader' box mastering on my system as well as the remastered and remixed vince guraldi date, 'a charlie brown christmas'. both are excellent examples of what domestic engineers can do.

Edited by etherbored

I would also add Bill Evans' Waltz With Debby SACD, I just love the sound on this cd :wub: . Sonny Rollins/Plus 4 SACD is very good also -- I think it's the only Clifford Brown on SACD. If you like rock The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots is one of the most interesting sounding cds that I have. It's compressed all over the place, some of the sounds are way jacked up, but it all works to make a very unique soundscape.

Edited by Matthew

The 5 Shelly Manne at the Black Hawk CDs on Contemporary (the early '90s OJCs) are still some of the best sounding jazz CDs I've ever heard. Contemporary recordings from that era are generally superior, but these are just stunning. Every time I listen to them again, I'm just amazed. There is an incredible presence and naturalness to the sound that has to be heard to be believed (especially since these are live recordings from 1959). I'd be curious to know if these sound as good on a system--like yours--that is much better than mine.

EDIT: I also have a slew of Venus piano trio CDs and, as good as those sound, they don't amaze me like the Manne Black Hawk discs.

Edited by Ron S

The 5 Shelly Manne at the Black Hawk CDs on Contemporary (the early '90s OJCs) are still some of the best sounding jazz CDs I've ever heard. Contemporary recordings from that era are generally superior, but these are just stunning. Every time I listen to them again, I'm just amazed. There is an incredible presence and naturalness to the sound that has to be heard to be believed (especially since these are live recordings from 1959). I'd be curious to know if these sound as good on a system--like yours--that is much better than mine.

I fully agree. The 1991 OJC CD reissues of those wonderful Manne albums also sound great on my system (Mark Levinson gear with Quad electrostatic speakers).

Contemporary recordings from the 1950s are truly great, especially those by the unsurpassed Roy DuNann - who didn't record the Manne albums, by the way.

Edited by J.A.W.

There was a time when I was totally into sound, stereo components, cables, HiFi mumbo jumbo etc. and I still have the resulting (adequate) rig in my living room.

Today I just enjoy the music if the labels let me. I do have something against (re)masters that make your brain explode by maxing out everything that could possible be maxed out, but aside from that I find myself caring less and less about sound quality. I guess that comes with age? Or is that dementia setting in? ;)

Edited by neveronfriday