Art Van Damme - Swinging The Accordion On MPS

neveronfriday

Most of you'll probably laugh, but I've waited for this set for years.

--> Click (German site ... but with track listing at the end).

Should have the usual great MPS sound. I think it has all 10 LPs he recorded in the 60s and 70s for the label, with Joe Pass, Freddy Rundquist, Heribert Thusek and John Rae (vibes), Eberhard Weber and Peter Witte (bass) and Charly Antolini and Kenny Clare (drums).

:)

Edit: the LPs

Art Van Damme In San Francisco (1966)

Ecstasy (1967)

The Gentle Art Of Art (1967)

Lullaby In Rhythm (1968)

Art In The Black Forest (1968)

On The Road (1969)

Art And Four Brothers (1969)

Keep Going (1970)

Blue World (1970)

Squeezing Art & Tender Flutes (1972).

Edited by neveronfriday

mine is already waiting for at my 2nd home in the schwarzwald...

i'm hoping original coverart is reproduced in what will surely be a great accompanying booklet.

van damme rules!

-e-

ps: now if i can just get clarke-boland's "music for the small hours", i'll be happy.

Edited by etherbored

I haven't ordered mine yet, but I'll get it for myself around Christmas. I've checked out all the samples and the set sounds great. What I'm looking forward to most is the great sound I think this set will have. MPS had excellent engineers in the first place and all their other recent remasters I've gotten so far are just wonderful.

It's going to be a swinging Christmas 'round here ...

i'm hoping original cover art is reproduced in what will surely be a great accompanying booklet.

van damme rules!

-e-

The recent Peterson single CDs had the original cover art (the first run (boxed set) didn't), so I hope they won't do that for this set again (box without, later single (new) remasters with).

Edited by neveronfriday

This definitely looks interesting! I haven't heard lots of Van Damme, so I'm tempted... but it's rather pricey, at 10 euro per disc - anyone saw it for a good prize somewhere?

So far, a tad below 50 Euro is all I could find (49, xx). It does have 119 tunes though

... that's about 42 cents per track. Maybe that's a better way of looking at it. ;)

amazon.de seems to be the loss leader at the moment...

-e-

ps: ubu, PM me and i can get you some of this music if you like. i have a 2-disc van damme set which this new release makes redundant for me.

Thanks a lot, etherbored, but I have that much new stuff around, I can absolutely wait for some time and get me the new release, eventually.

The book has been published in 1999 already. It contains (in english and german) a brief history of the label, some photos, detailed discographies and reproductions of all album covers including reissues (quite small, 9 on one page). An essential reference for fans of the label, but too academic for the general jazz public. Hard cover, excellent print and binding quality.

3980582019.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056600470_.gif

http://www.crippled.com/index.php?cat=shop...mp;sessid=10000

http://www.amazon.de/Jazzin-Black-Forest-K.../dp/3980582019/

I haven't seen the recently released film documentary

http://www.monitorpop.de/index.php?cat=sho...&ref=umgmps

http://www.amazon.de/MPS-Jazzin-Forest-Rol.../dp/B000GETWMM/

Also available in the US:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7241896

Edited by Claude

i own the dvd and it is HAPPENING! it's packed with fantastic arcana and interviews that anyone interested in MPS would love.

HIGHLY recommended,

-e-

ps: naturally, the book is everything claude mentions. barely equaled in terms of sheer aesthetic quality.

Edited by etherbored

i own the dvd and it is HAPPENING! it's packed with fantastic arcana and interviews that anyone interested in MPS would love.

HIGHLY recommended,

-e-

ps: naturally, the book is everything claude mentions. barely equaled in terms of sheer aesthetic quality.

I notice that 'Crippled Dick Hot Wax' does the book, DVD and a cool MPS t-shirt for about 80 Euros. That is a deal I might be tempted with.

HIGHLY recommended,

-e-

etherbored - is the DVD in English or in German with subtitles?

Thanks for your recommendation.

when the disc is inserted and the menu arrives, your first choice is german or english. every word of german is well subtitled. the dvd is a labor of love that a production team spent some time on.

it also comes with a tricky little package of about 8 or 10 postcards of different MPS moments.

80 euros for the book (the original hardback?), the dvd, and a t is a steal in my opinion. i'm quite sure i paid over that for the book alone...

-e-

when the disc is inserted and the menu arrives, your first choice is german or english. every word of german is well subtitled. the dvd is a labor of love that a production team spent some time on.

it also comes with a tricky little package of about 8 or 10 postcards of different MPS moments.

80 euros for the book (the original hardback?), the dvd, and a t is a steal in my opinion. i'm quite sure i paid over that for the book alone...

-e-

Thanks etherbored. It's on my list ! :)

I'm slightly out with my numbers. It's 63 Euros for the DVD/book combo, 81 Euros for DVD/book/tee and 95 Euros for the DVD/Book/Tee/2CD deal. My order is imminent.

Edited by sidewinder

I picked up the book some years ago used and it's indeed great. Created an enorous passion for the label for me. The DVD confirms my feelings for the label (European Blue Note imo). Does anyone have the Cicero box which came out recently as well? Great too if you're into this type of jazz.

yes, i have it and the singers unlimited set as well...

european blue note indeed. long live MPS!

regards,

-e-

ps: as a nootnote, i've been to the village of villangen three times now (it's one village south of where i have a second home), ane each time i promise myself i'll find the old studio. finally, the dvd has given me a sufficient visual-rules map i can follow when i am there in november.

Edited by etherbored

I picked up the book some years ago used and it's indeed great. Created an enorous passion for the label for me. The DVD confirms my feelings for the label (European Blue Note imo). Does anyone have the Cicero box which came out recently as well? Great too if you're into this type of jazz.

At the moment, I'm making my dad buy me the recent MPS stuff (he used to have most of it in his own LP collection) and I've already got the Cicero. ;) Excellent, if you are into that kind of music (as you said).

I also like the live recording: Euhen Cicero: Solo distributed by in-akustik. The "Swinging The Classics On MPS" set I like better though.

Edited by neveronfriday

.... Does anyone have the Cicero box which came out recently as well? Great too if you're into this type of jazz.

not yet Reinier it is on my "wishlist", but if you like his music this OOP LP from 1987 is now available on emusic as MP3 download

hisfriends.jpg

From the Artists home page:

Label Monopol LP 57235033 CH, M 5002

Producer Otto Schütt / Michael Kudritzki

Recorded September 1987

Musicians J.A. Rettenbacher, bass / Rolo Rodriguez, perc. / Ronnie Stephenson, drums / Heinz von Hermann, sax / Jiggs Whigham, tb

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

ub, it's not corny at all...

-e-

yeah, my wallet had to learn - but the impact of that newly amassed knowledge will only take place later... <_<

If we're already off topic here, let me endorse this one, similar beautiful package, and great music!

B000FBH480.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V52044876_.jpg

I was slightly familiar with the Doldinger Quartett from my mother's "Doldinger in Süd-Amerika" Twen-LP (yeah, she's old, maybe you, too, but me not.... :P ), and this is a most enjoyable package! Not MPS related actually, but from a similar time, and I think presenting similarly fine music, too.