Art Van Damme - Swinging The Accordion On MPS

neveronfriday

Yes, I think it's good enough. You have some variety, in that the South America album adds Attila Zoller (and there's a duo of him and Doldinger, also one of Doldinger/Peter Trunk on the live album).... Trunk is an assett, and him and Cees See form a great rhythm section on the live album. The last album has Volker Kriegel on most cuts, and Sadi, too.

Disc 4 is a bonus disc, three quartet cuts, two duos with Hoffmann, the rest is wiht other musicians, incl. Rolf Kühn, Kenny Clark/Benoit Quersion (one cut, with Hoffmann), and some more, including two cuts from George Gruntz's "Jazz Goes Baroque" LP and one cut with Mangelsdorff added to the quartet... all live stuff, pretty nice!

P0028947627883_1.jpg

I just gave the entire "Eugen Cicero - Swinging The Classics On MPS" set a spin again and have to just post here once more to give the set a 5-thumbs up. The sound is excellent and the tracks are as well. This should not be compared to some of the later "schmaltzy" stuff (Piano Dreams, or whatever that crud was called, strings and all) that he put out. I remember my dad having one/two of those in his collection and already as a kid not being impressed one bit (technically brilliant, but ...).

This stuff here swings!

Get it.

Edited by neveronfriday

i agree - in my opinion i prefer it to jacques loussier. maybe there's no comparison. there's something authentic in cicero's conception that makes the material work. generally crossing jazz with classical is a dicey proposition, but it works here.

regards,

-e-

Nicely put, especially since the only way I could think of describing it is that Cicero isn't anal about it as Loussier often was. :blink:

I also have the Loussier run (which is not bad at all) and I like the Cicero much better.

yeah, i don't want to denegrate loussier at all. his thing is his thing. in cicero's hands, however, this material swings with more authenticity.

i hope these sets encourage the universal de decision-makers to open the vaults a bit more...

-e-

Agreed on all counts.

Currently I'm enjoying the hell out of disc 3 of the Cicero set. "Memories of Clausenburg" might not be everyone's favorite title, but that one swings like mad. "Dort in der Ferne", a decidedly Brubeckian piece, "Der Schlitten Eilt" that one wouldn't expect to have such a South-American rhythm foundation when looking at the title, "Und Bach? (After Prélude In C Minor)" with its pearly runs (that one actually has quite a bit of OP in it), etc. Just great stuff.

Maybe it's also because there are some very fond memories attached to this set; memories of a more carefree time way back when (I was a much younger me in the early 70s). ;)

Edited by neveronfriday

Here are the German issues:

Many Moods Of Art, BASF MC 25113

Star Spangled Rhythm, BASF MC 25157 (2 record set)

Art In The Black Forest, MPS 15172

Art Van Damme & Four Brothers, MPS 15236

Lullaby In Rhythm, MPS 15171

State Of Art, MPS 841413

On The Road, MPS 15235

Blue World, Pausa PR 7027

Keep Going, Pausa PR 7104

Squeezin' Art & Tender Flutes, Pausa PR 7126

Art Van Damme & Friends, Pausa PR 7151

The Art Of Van Damme, Phillips B07189

By Request, Sonic Arts Digital LS12

Ecstasy, SABA SB 15115 ST

In San Francisco, SABA SB 15073 ST

The above are LPs that were available in US at one time or another.

If I remember right "Many Moods of Art" was a 2 record set, my favorite of all.

:tup:crazy::tup

Here are the German issues:

Many Moods Of Art, BASF MC 25113

Star Spangled Rhythm, BASF MC 25157 (2 record set)

Art In The Black Forest, MPS 15172

Art Van Damme & Four Brothers, MPS 15236

Lullaby In Rhythm, MPS 15171

State Of Art, MPS 841413

On The Road, MPS 15235

Blue World, Pausa PR 7027

Keep Going, Pausa PR 7104

Squeezin' Art & Tender Flutes, Pausa PR 7126

Art Van Damme & Friends, Pausa PR 7151

The Art Of Van Damme, Phillips B07189

By Request, Sonic Arts Digital LS12

Ecstasy, SABA SB 15115 ST

In San Francisco, SABA SB 15073 ST

The above are LPs that were available in US at one time or another.

If I remember right "Many Moods of Art" was a 2 record set, my favorite of all.

:tup:crazy::tup

Thanks!

Is that StormP as in THE Danish StormP?. :excited:

If it is, great online name!

i own the dvd and it is HAPPENING! it's packed with fantastic arcana and interviews that anyone interested in MPS would love.

HIGHLY recommended,

-e-

ps: naturally, the book is everything claude mentions. barely equaled in terms of sheer aesthetic quality.

Just watched the DVD - an excellent tribute to the label. Lots of great archive footage of Oscar and the many artists who recorded for MPS, filmed at HGBS's home and studio. Also some very knowledgeable vinyl-heads talking about some of their favourite MPS platters ! :)

The book is also great. It is indeed the hard-back volume with full discography and sleeve art. Text is in German and English.

Recommended ! :tup

@all: there will be a 1,5h TV feature on German WDR-3 aired on 04.01.2007 around midnight (00:20 to be precise) covering the History of MPS records titled Jazz in the Black Forest

Doku über das MPS-Label im Schwarzwald, so for those who get it via Sat dish...take a note of that. Hope that I have a working DVD-recorder until than again.

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT: LINK

Edited by tjobbe

@all: there will be a 1,5h TV feature on German WDR-3 aired on 04.01.2007 around midnight (00:20 to be precise) covering the History of MPS records titled Jazz in the Black Forest

Doku über das MPS-Label im Schwarzwald, so for those who get it via Sat dish...take a note of that. Hope that I have a working DVD-recorder until than again.

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT: LINK

Sounds suspiciously like the documentary on the DVD !

Check it out - it's excellent.

PS Tjobbe - got my old analogue satellite system working again so if you haven't the 'record' facility by the date drop me a message and I'll try to record it for you.

Edited by sidewinder

• 9 years later...
On 10/27/2006 at 3:51 PM, Claude said:

The book has been published in 1999 already. It contains (in english and german) a brief history of the label, some photos, detailed discographies and reproductions of all album covers including reissues (quite small, 9 on one page). An essential reference for fans of the label, but too academic for the general jazz public. Hard cover, excellent print and binding quality.

3980582019.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056600470_.gif

I just picked up a copy of the limited-edition hardcover, but the CD of unreleased performances was missing from its pocket inside the back cover. There doesn't seem to be much information about it online - can anyone else that has this shed some light on what's contained on the CD?