Tony Scott on Philology

JSngry

Amazon has TheClarinet Album & Homage to Billie Holiday: Body and Soul, both of which are exquisite.

Lately I've been into Poets of Jazz, a duet album w/Renato Sellani. If you ever imagined Ben Webster as a clarinetist slightly touched by Bird making a ballad album, this one's for you!

Of course, if you've never imagined Ben Webster as a clarinetist slightly touched by Bird making a ballad album, don't feel bad. ;)

But seriously, Scott has sometimes had a quirk of getting "squiggly",sometimesto good effect, sometimes not. Little if any of that here, just plenty of deeply personal phraseology and tonal manipulations. Very, very soulful stuff.

Glad to see I'm not the only fan of Tony Scott here.

One Philology album I groove on is 'The Old Lion Roars' with the Mario Rusca trio.

I have a very special fondness for Tony Scott! He was the first jazz musician I got acquainted with (when he made his first tour of Europe back in 1957).

He delighted a friend and I with tons of fascinating remembrances! Wish he will someday complete his autobiography!

One of Tony Scott's best blowing date was the album he recorded in Sweden at that time

Swinging in Sweden

It was a minor hit in Sweden at the time but has remained unissued outside the country.

'Very, very soulful stuff.' indeed!

@Brownie:

Quote:

--One of Tony Scott's best blowing date was the album he recorded in Sweden at that time

Swinging in Sweden

It was a minor hit in Sweden at the time but has remained unissued outside the country.--

I agree with your assessment of this session but are you sure it was released in Sweden only? The original EP I have of this session clearly is a German pressing (with German liner notes, German label text and all). Maybe other European pressings existed too ...

I may be mistaken but that RCA Camden CAL9 release may have been a 60s LP made specifically for the Swedish market.

In the same RCA LP series there was Camden CAL4 with a reissue of 1956/57 recordings by Arne Domnerus and I remember seeing that one on a website as a specific Swedish pressing (I have a U.S. pressing of the same music released at about the same time and this is Camden CAL417, i.e. not the same number sequence).

My recollection is that material from the session was issued on four EPs issued by RCA in Sweden and also in Germany. I tracked down all four of the EPs (a mix of the Swedish and German issues) many years ago and also the LP reissue on RCA Camden CAL 9 which, upon closer examination, appears to be a German issue ("Made in Germany" stamped in the run off groove area and mention of Germany but not Sweden on the label).

The English liner notes state that "Originally released on four EP records Camden now offers the complete batch on one LP record." However, despite this claim, the LP only contains six of the eight sides originally issued, omitting "All the Things You Are" and "Blues for Ava." The Gazell CD issue contains all of the material originally issued along with an alternate take (shorter than the original and with a vocal by Tony) of "Blues for Ava."

For those who are interested, the back cover of the Camden CAL 9 LP shows pictures of other LPs in the same series:

CAL 1: Towa Carson and others (very small print). My Fair Lady / Annie Get Your Gun.

CAL 2: Lars Lonndahl.

CAL 3: Mats Olsson Piano and Rhythm. Cocktails for You.

CAL 4: Arne Domnerus Quartet and Orchestra.

CAL 5: Hans Wahlgrens Orkester. Far Jag Lov?

CAL 6: Bentgt-Arne Wallin. Isn't It Romantic.

CAL 7: Inger Wikstrom. The Washington Concert.

CAL 8: Towa Carson.

CAL 9: Tony Scott Quartet. Swingin' in Sweden.

CAL 10: The Many Faces of Svend Asmussen.

CAL 11: Domnerus / Wickman / Theselius. Golden Fifties.

I'm being proven wrong about this date!

The Lord discography also lists a Camden vinyl issue of this 'Swinging In Sweden' album. Never saw that one!

I have two acetates from this session that Tony Scott gave me but I don't have the material to play those :(

i came across this impressive website dedicated to tony scott that includes a discography/record gallery, extensive biography, galleries of photos and pictures of scott's own artwork, etc. check it out: the musical universe of tony scott

At the risk of being immodest, on that Tony Scott site (under the 50s section, part II) you will find two quotes from an article about Tony's historic visit to South Africa that I wrote for Metronome Magazine in 1957 ... I was 17 at the time. Tony was taken with my "boyish enthusiam" as I followed him around the country on his tour, and we have kept up an occasional correspondence since then ..

At the risk of being immodest, on that Tony Scott site (under the 50s section, part II) you will find two quotes from an article about Tony's historic visit to South Africa that I wrote for Metronome Magazine in 1957 ... I was 17 at the time.

Garth, I was 17 too when Tony Scott showed up in Paris in 1957. I had written an article about him in Jazz Hot that year. The article is mentioned in the Press Catalogue section of that wonderful site!

Glad to see we have kept the same faith :tup

Not much interest in the Philology material? Or is it under/off the radar of most fans?

your post reminded me that I actually had "Homage to Billie Holiday: Body and Soul" but had completely forgotten about it... may sound like not much interest but I actually like it a lot... your Ben Webster analogy I found very much to the point - its a very unique way of playing the clarinet (at least compared to the other things I know)... a very wide sound... can'tdescribe it

Well yeah. And it's not just the wide sound, it's the use of alternate fingerings to color the pitch and inflect the notes. Very Ben-like, I think, and as you said, a unique way of playing the instrument.

I do wish those Philology sides were more easily available!