Les Tresors du Jazz

Durium

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm completely with you on the rating for the quality of those sets but need to correct you about the number of box sets available...

The Volume 6 covering 1955 is already announced for release end of October (so now) and mine is awaiting shipment from France so we have 5 box sets already available <_<

Cheers, tjobbe

I second the motion. This is a series that is not your usual "how can we profit from the back catalog" kind of compilation. Two French aficionados, André Francis and Jean Schwartz, pick the selections from their extensive collections based simply on what they like best and feel is representative.

There have actually been five boxes; 1952 was 5 CDs (and two samples from the two first boxes) and the others are 10 CDs. The first was from 1898-1943 and was packed with cherry-picked masterpieces. The second was from 1944-1951. Then came 1952, 1953, and 1954. All the stuff is in the public domain in France, which explains why they're now doing it year by year. As Tjobbe reports, the 1955 box is now supposed to be available.

Here's a rousing review: http://www.livingwithmusic.com/index.php/m...resors_du_jazz/

Edited by Tom Storer

In fact, the only one I don't have of the first five is the first one, 1898-1941. I'm going to order it today.

I'm actually missing that one myself.... -_- but unfortunately, there are way to many things on my "want-to-have" list

Edited by tjobbe

NonF, just be patient with Amazon. I'm sure it will be there any day now! Their price looks good!

Saw that 1955 box in one of the local store, along with another of the Trésors-type box. A new one but I just can't remember which one it was (vocal, piano, or ?!)

NonF, just be patient with Amazon. I'm sure it will be there any day now! Their price looks good!

Saw that 1955 box in one of the local store, along with another of the Trésors-type box. A new one but I just can't remember which one it was (vocal, piano, or ?!)

Yeah, I'll be patient.

Not my most prominent quality though.

If you find out if there's another box by these two guys (and it's not the piano one, I have that), post about it here, will you? I'm sure I'd jump on it.

Yeah, I'll be patient.

Not my most prominent quality though.

If you find out if there's another box by these two guys (and it's not the piano one, I have that), post about it here, will you? I'm sure I'd jump on it.

This is all new to me. Do these boxes repeat material from the "Jazz in Paris" series? Or are they just compilations from various labels including American recordings?

This is all new to me. Do these boxes repeat material from the "Jazz in Paris" series? Or are they just compilations from various labels including American recordings?

'Jazz in Paris' and 'Trésors du Jazz' are two different series.

The Trésors are boxes (usually 10CDs) that showcase the best of the jazz sides from a specific year.

Volume 6 which is just out illustrates the year 1955.

Selection of the material is taken care by veteran French jazz radio producer André Francis. Mastering is in the hands of veteran musicologist/composer Jean Schwarz.

A very worthy enterprise taking advantage of the European 50-year copyright laws.

What's this about other boxes by these two, such as piano or vocal? First I've heard of those.

EDIT: Just looked on the FNAC site. Goodness! In addition to the chronological series, there are:

Histoire des Big Bands, 1914-1955 (10 CDs)

Histoire du Piano Jazz, 1906-1952 (10 CDs)

Histoire du Jazz Vocal, 1911-1940 (10 CDs)

Histoire du Jazz Vocal, 1941-53 (10 CDs)

Does anyone know how much overlap there is between these and the chronological series?

Edited by Tom Storer

The other 10CD box is Big Bands Story. This one.

Hm. I've got lots of big band jazz. Don't know about that one. Are the others that Tom mentions above also by Francis and Schwarz? I guess so? I'm not going to run next door now, but the Piano one is (that fluorescent green one). I think I have to sit down one weekend comparing track listings between all of these (if I can find track listings). I do think there must be quite a bit of overlap ... otherwise these guys would have to be remastering 26 hours per day.

Thanks for the heads up, guys!

Are the others that Tom mentions above also by Francis and Schwarz? I guess so? I'm not going to run next door now, but the Piano one is (that fluorescent green one). I think I have to sit down one weekend comparing track listings between all of these (if I can find track listings). I do think there must be quite a bit of overlap ... otherwise these guys would have to be remastering 26 hours per day.

That's probably what they're doing (remastering 26 hours per day). The other boxes that Tom mentions came from the same 'plant'!

Which is why Francis and Schwarz don't have time to take care of a dedicated website. Could not find any site on this Trésors séries, not even at Le Chant du Monde which distributes them!

Are the others that Tom mentions above also by Francis and Schwarz? I guess so? I'm not going to run next door now, but the Piano one is (that fluorescent green one). I think I have to sit down one weekend comparing track listings between all of these (if I can find track listings). I do think there must be quite a bit of overlap ... otherwise these guys would have to be remastering 26 hours per day.

Which is why Francis and Schwarz don't have time to take care of a dedicated website. Could not find any site on this Trésors séries, not even at Le Chant du Monde which distributes them!

Yep, I've found the "sites" and they suck. That was a while ago ... don't know if they still exist. Chant du Monde has a pretty good site, just under a different umbrella (too lazy to look now) and none of the jazz that they distribute is on there, only classical.

Shame, actually. This series should be presented prominently on the web, along with all the other work they do with those other boxes.

Thank you all for your contributions. It is great to learn that so many people, like me, enjoy these great compilations. As I told before these boxes are different then the "The Best Of Jazz ...... " boxes available every where. These titles are selected by experts.

Various-Les-Tresors-Du-Jazz-1954_280__84250794881771929_20.jpg

The great news is that box 1955 is available soon. Very good news. I was affraid that the series had stopped !!

BTW: I posted some of your comends in my blog to inform visitors.

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

The 1955 box is available in France--just saw it tonight at the FNAC on my way home from work. I got the first box, 1898-1943, instead, because I'm afraid it might go out of print or something, and I'll have time to get the 1955. If these superb compilations have a weak point, it's the relatively lightweight description of the music. All the discographical information is complete, but the discussion of the music is relatively brief and aimed at the neophyte rather than the confirmed fan. But this is justifiable, of course, if that's the target audience.

....and I can confirm that Amazon.fr is as well sending out Vol.6 now. I've just received the shipment notice and expect the package to arrive at my place next week.

Cheers, Tjobbe

Same here.

Christmas time!

I'm glad I preordered. One should always do that ... or pay 10 -15 Euro more when the darn things finally come out.

The Trésors du Jazz 1955 is out by now:

Trésors 1955

and cheaper at FNAC

Hm. I pre-ordered mine at Amazon.fr for 34,68 Euro.

I'll stick with my Amazon order, but I wonder why the hell they aren't stocking it if it's available?

Grrrr

Got mine delivered for 34, 68 (who the hell comes up with 68 cents?) as well.

It's green.

Dark green. :blink:

Lots of good stuff on there. I'm enjoying it as I write this (presently playing: "Cross Walk" by Lennie Niehaus, recorded 30th of March 1955 in LA).

Just a note for those who maybe want to order from Amazon.fr in the future: I've ordered tons of multi-CD boxes from them over the years and I've never ever gotten one with so much as a dent. Maybe I'm just lucky, but compared to Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de, the French division rocks in the shipping department. Everything I got so far was mint (but also often a bit more pricey than elsewhere).

Now, one looooong year to wait for the 1956 one. I wonder if there's anyone there to take over when these guys are pushing the daisies. I'm afraid there won't be. Besides, I wonder how well these boxed sets are actually doing, meaning if they are profitable enough for someone else to continue the legacy. Presently, the next 15 years would be enough for me, until 1970 ... but who knows if I might not be interested in the 70s stuff once those years roll around for the "Trésors du Jazz".