Brunch Livened Up By Jazz Trio's Violent Breakup

RonF

Brunch Livened Up By Jazz Trio's Violent Breakup

October 30, 2006 | Issue 42•44 The Onion - America's Finest News Source

SAN FRANCISCO—An ordinary Sunday afternoon brunch at Café Cleo was enlivened by an explosive physical exchange between members of jazz band Everywhere/Nowhere, which ended with saxophonist Dave Jeremy storming out of the eatery. "I was just sitting there eating my eggs Benedict with tempeh hash browns, and all a sudden the music stopped and I heard this loud 'crack' and a spit-covered mouthpiece whizzed past my head," said local silk-screen artist Sarah Wang, who was dining with poet Jenna Nowler and playwright James Lewis. "Not only did the jazz stop for a while, we also had something to talk about besides James' new one-act." After the breakup, the two remaining members of Everywhere/Nowhere played a 30-minute drum-and-bass version of "My Funny Valentine."

Well...they could play the head real slow. Follow that up with the bass player working out some lyrical melodies over the changes, turning into a free acro solo, then the quiet plucking section, enhanced by the glock. At twenty minutes the drum solo evolving into the triangle solo. Some more lyrical bass over the chages and back to the head.

Maybe an explosive tympani workout to mix things up a bit. Possibly quote Fanfare for a Common Man somewhere in the tympani solo.

Maybe this is a better link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGuDqZO_G2E

That's exactly what I was thinking of.

What's the Yamaha? the GX-1? Still sounds amazing, at the time, the first polyphonic synths did sound amazing.

I wonder if that's a "lip synch". Leather and fur, analog synth, stainless steel drums...how does one keep those things in tune when you can see their breath?

Possibly one of the last cool things Emerson did. Can't deal with him now, too many quotes.