Availability of Horo releases

I am always on the lookout for the Italian Horo releases. They pop up every so often on Ebay, but the prices usually are way out of my budget.

I emailed someone who was connected to the label in Rome awhile back, and he had practically the entire catalogue in stock, but his prices were absurdly high.

Currently I have the Rosolino release as well as the Roswell Rudd one. I would love to track down more of them. Any readers here have many in their collections?

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

I would recommend to avoid buying thoses Horo on Ebay. You'll probably find most of them, but Ebay has the same price gouging effect. Its easy to find most titles on record shops for decent prices. If you are in the US, try to contact some serious european internet sites shops. Or Musicstack, Gemm....

Someday ... these will be reissued on compact disc? :rlol

Through the kindness of a board member here, I have two of the Sun Ra's. Excellent music.

Whoever owns the rights to the Horo label really would do well to start a CD reissue program. I think, run in limited editions, they would more than break even. Use hathut as a model, and you're off to a good start!

I only have this one, but it's great:

George Adams

SUITE FOR SWINGERS

Horo 03 (LP)

Recorded July 28, 1976 - Rome, Italy

George Adams (ts), Don Pullen, (p), Dave Friessen (b), Danny Richmond (d), Alfonso Viera (perc)

1. Suite for Swingers

2. Blues by the River

3. Melodic Rhapsody

cd58.jpg

I only have this one, but it's great:

George Adams

SUITE FOR SWINGERS

Horo 03 (LP)

Recorded July 28, 1976 - Rome, Italy

George Adams (ts), Don Pullen, (p), Dave Friessen (b), Danny Richmond (d), Alfonso Viera (perc)

1. Suite for Swingers

2. Blues by the River

3. Melodic Rhapsody

cd58.jpg

The one under Dannie Richmond's name, which also has Adams and Pullen, as well as Jack Walrath, is a really good one as well.

I only have one Horo and it's excellent: Sam Rivers Black Africa! Perugia, a trio recording with Rivers on tenor, soprano, flute and piano (and voice), plus Joe Daley on tuba and baritone horn and Sydney Smart on drums.

I've read elsewhere on these forums that Horo's owner is, at best, eccentric, and may not even be the actual owner of some of the recordings. So CD reissues are unlikely until the Andorrans swoop in.

Currently I have the Rosolino release as well as the Roswell Rudd one. I would love to track down more of them. Any readers here have many in their collections?

Most of them :) BTW, Horo's owner also issued a live Freddie Hubbard 5-LP set, on a label called "Black Shell". That's a real collector's item, and the music is quite good (it's from the quintet with Dave Schnitter and Larry Klein).

luca

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The Ran Blake twofer 'Open City' is a minor gem!

Wish I could lay hands on Blake's other Horo release 'Crystal Trip'! Never saw or heard that one...

I just received in the mail this morning both of Ran Blake's albums he recorded for Horo - STILL SEALED - for $33. The seller still has 3 sealed copies of Crystal Trip in stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago, the producer sold the records still in stock on internet. That was prior to eBay crazyness. On the contrary of BN I found these vinyls fairly often in italian used record shops and at decent price.

Bah, two years has passed and the Horos are getting rarer.

Man, collector's life is for tough guys.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...