advice on potential Hathut purchase

sal

Hello all,

I'm planning on taking an extended break from buying jazz CDs in order to take time to enjoy and further absorb what I already have. Before I do this, however, I was in interested in possibly purchasing some Hathut items that have been intriguing me for a while. Can anyone provide some feedback on the following recordings if you've heard them?

Warne Marsh - Ne Plus Ultra

Steve Lacy - We See: Thelonious Monk Songbook

Steve Lacy - The Way

Cecil Taylor - The Eighth

Myra Melford - Even the Sounds Shine

Daniele D'Agaro - Chicago Overtones

Anthony Braxton - Charlie Parker Project

Thanks in advance!

I'd purchase the top four from your list. Haven't heard the D'Agaro. The Melford is good, but not great. I personally don't care for the Braxton. I'd get his other hats first, and make the Parker Project a low priority.

If you're interested by Joe McPhee, I'd try some of his hats (Tenor). Also, I'd strongly recommend the newly reissued John Carter-Bobby Bradford disc on hatology. That is a superb outing. Free bop at its very best.

These are classics:

Warne Marsh - Ne Plus Ultra

Steve Lacy - We See: Thelonious Monk Songbook

Decent but unremarkable:

Daniele D'Agaro - Chicago Overtones

(Barry & Kessler really don't hook up in the rhythm section, too!)

This one is one of the best of Braxton's standards projects--which is to say it's problematic but very interesting:

Anthony Braxton - Charlie Parker Project

If you're interested by Joe McPhee, I'd try some of his hats (Tenor). Also, I'd strongly recommend the newly reissued John Carter-Bobby Bradford disc on hatology. That is a superb outing. Free bop at its very best.

:tup:tup:tup

I ordered that a couple of days ago along with Giuffre's Emphasis & Flight. Looking forward to hearing them!

Funny how one goes from Blue Notes to Hathuts if you hang around here long enough.

Oh yeah, just have the Marsh above but it's fantastic.

Edited by Quincy

Funny how one goes from Blue Notes to Hathuts if you hang around here long enough.

:D Dang, ain't that the truth! :tup:)

Anybody have recommendations for the best place to buy these online, in the US? Not much chance of finding these in any brick-n-mortars around here.

Jazz Loft is a good source: www.jazzloft.com

:D Dang, ain't that the truth! :tup:)

Anybody have recommendations for the best place to buy these online, in the US? Not much chance of finding these in any brick-n-mortars around here.

Skid — as noted, jazzloft.com is a good place to purchase hats, as is squidco.com. BUT, cadencebuilding.com still has some of its regular priced hats ($20) on sale for $14 (!). The Marsh and the latest McPhee are both $14 there. Pretty good deals on those discs. I'd say that's the place to start. (They carry ALL in-print hatology discs, whereas other vendors carry only a selection.)

Cadence usually only ships UPS, and their rates start at around $6 for shipping, but they still have the deepest catalog for these kind of labels. Cadence still has some original ESP reissues (the Byron Allen, for one) as well as some original Black Lion reissues. They also carry some of the old hatART titles for $11. Snoop around with the search engine, and you're liable to come away with a great (while perhaps expensive) haul.

Guest the mommy

i can see why jsngrey would find the mcphee cartoon-ey but i enjoy that aspect of it.

the inappropriate effects-laden guitar...generally i find percussion-less albums boring since i am not a mature listener but the addition of the wild guitar keeps things interesting to me on this one. also, the interesting choice of tunes is pretty cool, IMO....

I believe that Cadence will no longer be distributing the Hat family in the U.S. & is selling off their remaining stock.

Say it ain't so! Where'd you hear this? Cadence has always been the most reliable source for hats for a long time ...

Go to the Hat website.

If you click on US ordering, Cadence / North Country is no longer there.

They list DMG, Dusty Groove, Jazz Loft & Jazz Record Mart.

I inferred from that & the lowered prices at Cadence that they were out of the picture.

If you look at the Cadence website many items are no longer listed & the newest ones (e.g. Carter / Bradford) never appeared.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's the way it looks to me.