BARBARA DENNERLEIN

randissimo

That's some pretty fancy footwork!

Two questions:

1. That doesn't look like a B3. What kind of organ is it?

2. The bass sound on the pedals doesn't sound like most other organ pedal sounds. Is she just using different registration on the organ, or is she running the pedals through some kind of outboard thing?

That's some pretty fancy footwork!

Two questions:

1. That doesn't look like a B3. What kind of organ is it?

2. The bass sound on the pedals doesn't sound like most other organ pedal sounds. Is she just using different registration on the organ, or is she running the pedals through some kind of outboard thing?

She has her bass pedals retrofitted with MIDI so she can use an external sound module for bass sounds. The organ itself is probably a B3 or something similar in a custom case. They call it a "chop" and it's done to make the instrument lighter.

Not to my taste. Too much chops, not enough grease. But, wearing clothes like that, grease would be highly inappropriate.

Like the earrings but prefer Rhoda Scott's current hairdo - now THERE'S some GREEAASSE! (And some footwork.)

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

• 7 months later...

Barbara Dennerlein is not really appreciated outside Germany.

She has at least one fan overseas ! :excited:

Caught that group with Ray Anderson on one occasion and it smoked pretty good. Something quite German Gothic in her playing though which sometimes comes through, very quirky and I like it.

• 2 years later...

Hi all!

Well, Barbara has been on my favlist for quite some time - since 1992. She's got it as far as I'm concerned!

I especially like the Hot Stuff och Take off albums.

I've never felt any lack of "grease" but if it's just grease you want maybe you should look elsewhere.

The MIDI bass is however really making the recorded sound full and interesting. Some B3 recording with just organ bass can sound a bit thin but not here and she plays the bass very very well ;-)

/Shaft

• 1 month later...

I had an opportunity to meet her and discuss at a Hammond Jazz festival I recorded last month : she is a very enjoyable personality, extremely refined and with a top class classical training, I think she was a student of the great Friedrich Gulda.

Her technical abilities are beyond par and she seems now able to restrain from playing so many notes in a row, just like JOS used to do in his early days : result is she plays simply the blues with feeling but also with enough inventivity to avoid boredom...a difficult challenge, but she succeeds.

Superb duo playing with Rhoda Scott...having heard these two ladies, one can die contended (not too soon..) :crazy:

I had an opportunity to meet her and discuss at a Hammond Jazz festival I recorded last month : she is a very enjoyable personality, extremely refined and with a top class classical training, I think she was a student of the great Friedrich Gulda.

Her technical abilities are beyond par and she seems now able to restrain from playing so many notes in a row, just like JOS used to do in his early days : result is she plays simply the blues with feeling but also with enough inventivity to avoid boredom...a difficult challenge, but she succeeds.

Superb duo playing with Rhoda Scott...having heard these two ladies, one can die contended (not too soon..) :crazy:

Do you know if she has any recent recordings? It's been a good while since her last American CD release.

Guest Bill Barton

She's without question the most interesting organist I've ever heard in performance. A few years back I caught her on a double-bill with Joey DeFrancesco at the Montreal Jazz Festival. Helluva band that included Ray Anderson on trombone. Some folks may think that the grease factor isn't present enough in her playing, but it's a whole other thing she's into. When they wheeled out two organs at the end of this show and she jammed with DeFrancesco that became very evident. There's plenty of guts and soul in her playing, however. Different kind of soul, one might say.

She's without question the most interesting organist I've ever heard in performance. A few years back I caught her on a double-bill with Joey DeFrancesco at the Montreal Jazz Festival. Helluva band that included Ray Anderson on trombone. Some folks may think that the grease factor isn't present enough in her playing, but it's a whole other thing she's into. When they wheeled out two organs at the end of this show and she jammed with DeFrancesco that became very evident. There's plenty of guts and soul in her playing, however. Different kind of soul, one might say.

I urge you to attend a Rhoda Scott performance whenever possible (she plays in the Bay area on the 20th august), you will certainly add Rhoda to the list! :wub:

Otherwise, I agree, I wasn't too excited by Barbara on CD and when I heard her live, it was all there, including the greaze! One might probably not like too much some of her originals, but there are excellent ones (Funkish) and when she plays in duo, things really start to happen and i'm very happy I had the opportunity to hear her live, it definitely makes an incredible difference.

for more info on Rhoda Scott's concert, you might check Pete Fallico's Doodlin' website.

Edited by michel devos

• 2 weeks later...