Hey it's November: Where's the Mosaic Ellington Set?

medjuck

I just got an e-mail saying it would be shipped within 24 hours! Can't wait.

MOSAIC RECORDS/TRUE BLUE MUSIC

SHIPPING NOTIFICATION

Note this order # is not the same as your web order #

The following items will ship within the next 24 hours

Item Qty Qty Qty

Expected

Number Description Ord. Shp. Bck. By

---------- ------------------------------ -------- -------- -------- -------

-

235-MD-CD DUKE ELLINGTON 1.00 1.00 0.00

1001 DUKE ELLINGTON -THE COSMIC SCENE 1.00 1.00 0.00

MS-022 MOSAIC SELECT: SIDNEY BECHET 1.00 1.00 0.00

1003 AL COHN/PERKINS/KAMUCA-THE BROTHERS 1.00 1.00 0.00

I will have to wait for several weeks but....

:)

Well I was naughty. I did NOT order the set properly. Used paypal for the first time on a Mosaic order for this set on November 8, and there was another screen I was supposed to go to after I made the paypal payment, and I didn't.

So since several of you have received your sets and I haven't even received a shipping notice I inquired. . . and they were able to find my order in the system and ship it today.

Another fine example of the great customer service that Mosaic offers.

Edited by jazzbo

Also--maybe the strong response will encourage them further to do a similar set covering the big band from that era. :tup

But don't you think that it is the small-group nature of these recordings that make them especially attractive? That is one reason why I for one find them so attractive.

Also--maybe the strong response will encourage them further to do a similar set covering the big band from that era. :tup

But don't you think that it is the small-group nature of these recordings that make them especially attractive? That is one reason why I for one find them so attractive.

Oh, sure, but I think they'd like to do the big-band material as well. Cuscuna said several years ago, when I inquired about a possible 1930s full-orchestra set, that Sony wasn't quite willing yet to part with some of the "jazz giant" holdings they had. Maybe they licensed these small-group sessions because a large number of the recordings have been on the market for 15 years. In any event, in the booklet to the new Mosaic Sonny Greer is quoted as raving about how great the late-1930s band was, better in his opinion than the Blanton-Webster unit. I may e-mail Scott Wenzel and find out if they're contemplating having an eventual go at that era, although I'd imagine they're focused on getting out the Goodman set first.

Oh, sure, but I think they'd like to do the big-band material as well. Cuscuna said several years ago, when I inquired about a possible 1930s full-orchestra set, that Sony wasn't quite willing yet to part with some of the "jazz giant" holdings they had. Maybe they licensed these small-group sessions because a large number of the recordings have been on the market for 15 years. In any event, in the booklet to the new Mosaic Sonny Greer is quoted as raving about how great the late-1930s band was, better in his opinion than the Blanton-Webster unit. I may e-mail Scott Wenzel and find out if they're contemplating having an eventual go at that era, although I'd imagine they're focused on getting out the Goodman set first.

I'm hesitating on the current box (I have all the master takes and many of the alts in some form) but would buy an orchestral box in a minute - and I have that stuff too.

I would too, and I have that stuff too.

Duke. . . an artist to listen to for a lifetime.

Count me in. I've been bugging them about doing a big band set forever. I'm waiting to order the small group set, though--I just bought the Bear Family Nat Cole sets for myself for Christmas, and my checking account is yelling at me!

I would too, and I have that stuff too.

Duke. . . an artist to listen to for a lifetime.

Count me in. I've been bugging them about doing a big band set forever. I'm waiting to order the small group set, though--I just bought the Bear Family Nat Cole sets for myself for Christmas, and my checking account is yelling at me!

I've just got the "Stardust" set and it's wonderful. How does the "Love"

set compare?

I think it's great, but I'm a little biased.

Anything in particular you'd care to know about it?

Jordan

I am a little worried about a sentence in the Stardust book

which says that "In these years, he would also make heavy

use of the then-current phenomenon known as the

singalong record". Also I'm not so keen on the idea of

a Christmas album.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...