Ben Folds

Alon Marcus

i like that album title "The unauthorized autobiography of Reinhold Messner" (though it's admittedly silly... and they are only a trio iirc) (also enjoyed that album though i don't think I went back to it after initial phase of regulary listening....)

i like that album title "The unauthorized autobiography of Reinhold Messner" (though it's admittedly silly... and they are only a trio iirc) (also enjoyed that album though i don't think I went back to it after initial phase of regulary listening....)

The first four songs on it are fantastic but the rest is of lesser quality.

Guy

The first four songs on it are fantastic but the rest is of lesser quality.

Guy

i'd easily say i like this type of music (to answer the initial question... not knowing a lot about Pop Music i'd call it Belle And Sebastian type music and would name Belle and Sebastian's The Model a my favorite song from the genre, or Memphis "The Phonecall") and i could well imagine hearing Ben Folds stuff on the radio and trying to find out what it is...(actually something very similar happened to me with a Ben Folds Song called Hiro's Song) still something about the whole package made me feel uneasy... it's simple to say it's commercial... don't think that's the problem... maybe artificial, corny are better words

to end this post with something uplifting, the label Le Grand Magistery www.magistery.com has/had a number of great "sophisticated pop" bands such as Memphis, The Push Kings, Stars here are their soundsamples:

http://www.magistery.com/assets/

(my browser didn't let me download them from the artists pages directly)(in the files it says what they are... lots of great songs in there!)

Edited by Niko

I'm a fan of both the old Ben Folds Five (which was a trio, as noted) and Ben Folds solo work. His last solo disc (Songs for Silverman) wasn't as strong as his first... my favorite of Ben Folds Five has to be Whatever and Ever Amen...

I describe him as piano-pop-rock in the style of Elton John meets the Barenaked Ladies :)