Upcoming Concord/Fantasy releases

Aggie87

I had a listen today at my retailer to the Pre-Rahsaan CD - the credits say it is a new remastering by Joe Tarrantino, and it sounds indeed very good, and can compete with the RVG.

Saturn in Frankfurt sells it at € 9,99! That means, you get two sessions for the price of one! Wish I hadn't already bought the RVG of Funk Underneath!

a quick search didn't help... what's on that twofer? "Kirk's Work" and "Jaki Byard Experience"? Or is there anything else by Rahsaan that's part of the Fantasy holdings?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a listen today at my retailer to the Pre-Rahsaan CD - the credits say it is a new remastering by Joe Tarrantino, and it sounds indeed very good, and can compete with the RVG.

Saturn in Frankfurt sells it at € 9,99! That means, you get two sessions for the price of one! Wish I hadn't already bought the RVG of Funk Underneath!

a quick search didn't help... what's on that twofer? "Kirk's Work" and "Jaki Byard Experience"? Or is there anything else by Rahsaan that's part of the Fantasy holdings?

These two LPs exactly - all that Rahsaan recorded for Prestige.

These two LPs exactly - all that Rahsaan recorded for Prestige.

Thanks - I'll stay with what I have, then...

• 5 years later...

http://jazztimes.com/articles/93470-concord-to-reissue-five-classic-riverside-albums

Concord Music Group will release five new titles in its Original Jazz Classics Remasters series on July 23, commemorating the 60th anniversary of Riverside Records. Some of the new releases will contain several bonus tracks (some previously unreleased) and new liner notes. Riverside was a New York-based label that showcased some of the most influential jazz artists and recordings of the 1950s and ’60s.

The five titles are:
Thelonious Monk & Gerry Mulligan: Mulligan Meets Monk (1957)
Bonus tracks are alternate takes of the Mulligan composition “Decidedly” and Monk’s “Straight, No Chaser,” along with two alternate takes of the Monk/Coleman Hawkins piece “I Mean You.”
Bill Evans Trio: How My Heart Sings! (1962)
Includes three bonus tracks: an alternate take of “In Your Own Sweet Way” and previously unreleased renditions of “34 Skidoo” and “Ev’rything I Love.”
Wes Montgomery: So Much Guitar! (1961)
The bonus tracks here, according to a press release, “essentially make up an entire second album, capturing eight songs recorded earlier in 1961 at the Cellar, a club in Vancouver, British Columbia.”
Cannonball Adderley & Milt Jackson: Things Are Getting Better (1958)
Includes two bonus tracks: alternate takes of Buddy Johnson’s “Serves Me Right” and Lawlor and Blake’s “Sidewalks of New York” (the latter arranged by Adderley).
Chet Baker Plays the Best of Lerner and Loewe (1959)
No bonus tracks.

Previously unheard live Wes? :crazy::crazy::excited::excited:

(wondering though if the tapes have circulated or are truly new and unheard like the great release 2012 release.)

I'm afraid not. Bluesoul omitted the second sentence in the paragraph:

The bonus tracks here essentially make up an entire second album, capturing eight songs recorded earlier in 1961 at the Cellar, a club in Vancouver, British Columbia. This Canadian set — originally issued on Fantasy as The Montgomery Brothers in Canada, includes Buddy Montgomery on vibes, Monk Montgomery on bass, and Paul Humphrey on drums.

I grew up with the "Montgomery Brothers in Canada" on reissue red vinyl, and it always sounded like a studio date to me with canned applause. Come on Concord, that makes no sense to add that to "SoAMuch Guitar" when its already available as another twofer

Maybe that's just polite Canadian applause.

Previously unheard live Wes? :crazy::crazy::excited::excited:

(wondering though if the tapes have circulated or are truly new and unheard like the great release 2012 release.)

I'm afraid not. Bluesoul omitted the second sentence in the paragraph:

The bonus tracks here essentially make up an entire second album, capturing eight songs recorded earlier in 1961 at the Cellar, a club in Vancouver, British Columbia. This Canadian set — originally issued on Fantasy as The Montgomery Brothers in Canada, includes Buddy Montgomery on vibes, Monk Montgomery on bass, and Paul Humphrey on drums.

is this a boot of the Fresh Sound CD?

:smirk: