What's the source of "The Bean Stalks Again"?

medjuck

On the 1941 Metronome All Stars version of "One O'Clock Jump" Coleman Hawkins begins his solo with a 3 note repeated riff that shows up a few months later as the main theme of the Basie band's Feedin' the Bean with Hawkins sitting in. It's credited to Basie as composer but on The Hawk In HiFi it's called The Bean Stalks Again and is credited to Hawkins. Basie, of course, was on the Metronome All Star date. (Where they don't ever play what I-- perhaps wrongly-- have always thought was the main theme of One O'Clock Jump.)

I don't really care who should get credit but I am interested in the source of the riff. Anyone know if appears anywhere earlier than Hawkins solo on the All Stars date?

On the 1941 Metronome All Stars version of "One O'Clock Jump" Coleman Hawkins begins his solo with a 3 note repeated riff that shows up a few months later as the main theme of the Basie band's Feedin' the Bean with Hawkins sitting in. It's credited to Basie as composer but on The Hawk In HiFi it's called The Bean Stalks Again and is credited to Hawkins. Basie, of course, was on the Metronome All Star date. (Where they don't ever play what I-- perhaps wrongly-- have always thought was the main theme of One O'Clock Jump.)

I don't really care who should get credit but I am interested in the source of the riff. Anyone know if appears anywhere earlier than Hawkins solo on the All Stars date?

medjuck,

that´s interesting! i try to find also out where this "hawkins riff" is coming from for years. i´m not at home now but tonight i will look at my list and write down all hawkins´s recordings where he used that riff. it goes back to the 30´s in holland! and there´s one live recording with chick webb´s band where (i think taft jordan on trumpet) is playing it. makes fun to find out such things.

keep boppin´

marcel

"the hawkins-riff":

here´s my old list of that riff from 1937 - 56: hawkins used in more or less complete form in the following recordings:

paris, 28.april37: crazy rhythm (all star-jam band with benny carter and django reinhardt)

hilversum, 14.june38: swingin in the groove (trio with freddy johnson and maurice van cleef) 2 takes

savoy ballroom, nyc, 09.january39: one o´clock jump (chick webb orch. tp used riff: ?dick vance or bobby stark or taft jordan) without hawkins!

nyc, 16.january41: one o´clock jump (metronome all-star band)

chicago, 10.april41: feedin´ the bean (count basie orch.) 2 takes

nyc, 04.december43: esquire bounce (leonard feather´s esquire all stars)

nyc, 08.december43: hawkins barrelhouse (hawkins orch. for signature)

nyc, 08.december43: bechet parades the blues (st. louis blues) (sidney bechet and his v-discers) without hawkins!

nyc,24.may44: three little words (his sax ensemble with tab smith, don byas and harry carney for keynote)

nyc,14.june44: stompin´ at the savoy (cozy cole/hawkins all-stars for savoy)

nyc,01.december44: scram! (leonard feather´s all-stars)

hollywood,feb./march45: mop, mop (afrs jubilee 122)

nyc,15.january46: look out (metronome all-stars, harry edison,tp, plays the riff) without hawkins!

nyc,18.january56: the bean stalks again (billy byers orch.)

i´m not a musician but hawkins´ title "stuffy" has also something from that riff. so i think you can credited it to coleman hawkins.

keep boppin´

marcel

keep boppin´

marcel