Happy Birthday, Hammond Organ!

Dmitry

• 4 months later...

Right on, Jim! Pity they didn't show more than a brief clip. Puts the kiddies in the shade!

I still remember being knocked out by my first organ LP: I got a secondhand copy of "Back To The Chicken Shack". Wooowee! That's still my favorite. Groovy cover, too, with the dog and the rooster!

• 1 month later...

gosh, my first JOS was The Sermon, when I was a baby literally. Now I am going to go listen to "Lonesome Road", which I got yesterday. I am very happy to have heard (w/ the exception of Straight Life as us all) heard everything JOS recorded for BN, I have owned it all too, altho there have been a few like "Bucket" that I sold. Happy b-day Hammond. Seriously the JOS thing is a huge accomplishment for me :)

First Hammond album I bought was Ray Charles' "Genius + Soul = Jazz". But before that came out on LP, I'd bought 45s. The first, I think, was Phil Upchurch's "You can't sit down" pts 1 & 2, in late 1960 or early 1961, which featured Cornell Muldrow on organ (whatever happened to him?), Mack Johnson on trumpet (I think he was later with James Brown), the great Bubba Brooks on tenor and Joe Hadrick, later with Gator Tail, on drums. Wow! And what a kick-ass record it is! (I'm on my second copy, as I broke the first by flexing it :) )

Gonna get it out and play it.

MG