BFT #42 CD 2

Mr. Bassman

This is the place for CD #2. This CD is a bit different... there are some tunes, which belong to the "normal" theme of the BFT (it is a continuation of CD#1)... i think ... track 1 to 10 for sure. Track 11 is a special tribute to an instrument.... hope you like it :crazy:

And.... then there are more "obscure" tunes :g ... track 12 to the end.... another specific theme indeed, a bonus theme i should say ... :g This part of the BFT was the most work for me.... the list of the not-used-tracks is really big.... I will tell you in the answer-thread, what was on the shelf.... but at last i decided to extend the "normal" BFT-theme... maybe there is a chance for a second draft for another BFT later (in 2008 ??? i presume? )

Okay, this should be enough for the preface.... it's your turn.... and I wait for you :D

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Edited by Mr. Bassman

Let's try to fire a shot across the bows.

CD 2.

1. Slim and Slam. - but that seems to be too easily. I haven't checked it with my Slim Gaillard and / of Slam Stewart box, but it also could one of the numerous imitations by similar groups from the latev1930s early 1940s, like Johnny and Jones.

11.Is this a classical string orchestra that plays in a free way? It could be a band like Wilem Breuker's Kolektiedf, that makes this kind of suprisig acts with Mondriaan Strings. Nice ( now and then)

12.What an anti-climax ....... not my stuff.

13. Chaos?

14. Who plays oboe? or bass clarinet in jazz?

16. This is ouverture for the December BFT?

Keep swinging

Durium

Ahhhh! The first one has entered the uncharted land of CD2. :) Thank you Durium. As a rehearsal was canceled, i have some spare time.... this is the chance for some comment-lines....

1. Slim and Slam. - but that seems to be too easily. I haven't checked it with my Slim Gaillard and / of Slam Stewart box, but it also could one of the numerous imitations by similar groups from the latev1930s early 1940s, like Johnny and Jones.

Sometimes it has to be easy... There were some 3 minutes space on the CD.... and i thought, a familiar track would be nice for all of us. I can immagine, that not all know this stuff.... therefore.... Durium earns the credits.... it is naturally the original in this case, no imitation. Hope, you all enjoy this tune. I think it's a great opener..... particular to the songs starting with track 12... :w

11.Is this a classical string orchestra that plays in a free way? It could be a band like Wilem Breuker's Kolektiedf, that makes this kind of suprisig acts with Mondriaan Strings. Nice ( now and then)

No, it is not the Willem Breuker Kollektief nor Mondriaan Strings. But you give me a good idea for a (maybe) next BFT in several months or should i say years ? :excited: Well.... it has to do something with classical music, that is true, but... they don't play in a free way. There is a composer for that.

12.What an anti-climax ....... not my stuff.

Okay, accepted :D , but that was not my aim. As i said in the preface, there is a special reason, why these tunes are in the BFT, but not to annoy you.... i would have other stuff for that :rolleyes:

13. Chaos?

:lol: accepted ! :)

14. Who plays oboe? or bass clarinet in jazz?

Interesting question! This could/should be discussed in an extra thread, I think there are several people, who play jazz with this intruments. .... but it could depend on the personal sight to the theme, what is Jazz and what is not Jazz. But back to the tune.... you like it or not ??? and who is that bass-player ???

16. This is ouverture for the December BFT?

:tup:g Very good !!!! This was a kind of an ulterior motive, why i choosed that tune from the CD. I thought this is a nice closer for the BFT. But.... who is it ?

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Ahhhh! The first one has entered the uncharted land of CD2. :) Thank you Durium. As a rehearsal was canceled, i have some spare time.... this is the chance for some comment-lines....

Sometimes it has to be easy... There were some 3 minutes space on the CD.... and i thought, a familiar track would be nice for all of us. I can immagine, that not all know this stuff.... therefore.... Durium earns the credits.... it is naturally the original in this case, no imitation. Hope, you all enjoy this tune. I think it's a great opener..... particular to the songs starting with track 12... :w

Thanks Mr. Bassman for your commends. I gave myself a pat on the back for the correct suggestion I gave for the first track. I liked your compilation but I find it very difficult to find the correct information to it. Hope you'll like my January 2007 ( BFT # 44 ) compilation. Good luck identifing the other tracks !!

Keep swinging

Durium

Thanks Mr. Bassman for your commends. I gave myself a pat on the back for the correct suggestion I gave for the first track. I liked your compilation but I find it very difficult to find the correct information to it. Hope you'll like my January 2007 ( BFT # 44 ) compilation. Good luck identifing the other tracks !!

Ah, you have the #44! I think, i will be in it. Then my brain has to work hard and i will need the luck!

What do you mean , when you mention the difficulty, is it too difficult or is there no useful information out there in the web ? I didn't get the point.

Yes, and... a clap from me either for the track #1 :)

1: presumably Slim & Slam, no idea who the vibes player is. Hm, I expected to enjoy this a little more than I did--I think I prefer Nat King Cole's version! I've always heard it as "Flat-Fleet Floogie" not "Floozy", though.

2: some realllly fleet bass playing there on a theme that is surely an Ornette tune (though I haven't heard it before I believe). Impressive, not exactly the kind of thing that mvoes me/excites me though.

3: After that interesting offkilter intro I was kind of bummed when the bland soprano sax & synth came in. Fun counting this one (alternating 7 and 8 I believe)....uh, I think I was concentrating too hard on that not the soprano solo! Now there's a smoother interlude for the piano in 6. -- I think that all this goes to say that I enjoy the architecture of the piece more than the actual solos. Slick stuff, though.

4: Blandsville, even if the tenor player isn't whispering sweet nothings all the time.

5: Curious piece in that is takes a latin-jazz context & builds tension via extra-long suspensions rather than climaxes. Can't say that it's the best context for a tuba solo though.... Still, this one kept me guessing!!

6: Yow, quite the cultural collision! Probably it's that Michael White album on Impulse. The voices really, really, don't work.

7: More blandsville.... sorry, not my thing, esp. that ostinato from the guitar pasted over everything.

8: I note a distinct fondness for tracks that open with a bass solo :) ..... Pop tune with a cute arrangement centred on, yes, multiple basses. This is a rare instance where I prefer the bass solo to the head.... :) Sounds like it might be some period instruments on the head??? Anyway, if I want jazzy chamber music I'll head to Kent Carter's Intersections......

9: a nice bad-news opening & an "orchestral" feel here. The pianist sounds like it's probably Simon Nabatov, even though without a solo it's hard to tell (the run at circa 1:30 is very Nabatovian). Interesting track, maybe part of a longer suite?

10: hm... one of those world-music/fusiony things. I guess it just sounds too clean & bright for me, though it certainly kept me guessing (the first bass feature with spacey swells & swirls of accordion in particular, plus the bagpipe feature near the end).

11: Well, no prizes for recognizing the tune! More bass-centric music....

12: This is one of those "good for what it is tracks" in a mode that I'm basically not interested in. Hm, two electric bassists....

13: Well this is a familiar track--it's of course the great AM with Jaco &... I forget who the drummer is, is it Mouzon? I have this on the MPS threefer; here's the original album. I think this track is "Zores Mores". What can I say: classic music.

14: Pleasantly mellow but I keep waiting for the players to actually do something other than flipflop between two chords.... It's only when the bass clarinettist steps outside of the key after the 3 minute mark that anything leaps out at me. I take it that multiple-bass combos are a theme of this BFT...

15: They're definitely pushing it by saying they're "the finest band in town" (one wonders how many actual musicians rather than sequencers participated anyway), but this cheesy mangling of rhythm changes at least made me smile.

16: And a merry Xmas to you! -- Nice to hear an imaginatively reharmonized version of this, usually one of the dullest of Xmas tunes.

Edited by Nate Dorward

1: presumably Slim & Slam, no idea who the vibes player is. Hm, I expected to enjoy this a little more than I did--I think I prefer Nat King Cole's version! I've always heard it as "Flat-Fleet Floogie" not "Floozy", though.

:D Slim was a kind of a multi-instrumentalist, he plays the vibes. Maybe that a slang-word needs some slang pronounciation....

2: some realllly fleet bass playing there on a theme that is surely an Ornette tune (though I haven't heard it before I believe). Impressive, not exactly the kind of thing that mvoes me/excites me though.

An Ornette tune ??? Maybe inspired of his music, but this musicians is quoting himself! In a way... :)

3: After that interesting offkilter intro I was kind of bummed when the bland soprano sax & synth came in. Fun counting this one (alternating 7 and 8 I believe)....uh, I think I was concentrating too hard on that not the soprano solo! Now there's a smoother interlude for the piano in 6. -- I think that all this goes to say that I enjoy the architecture of the piece more than the actual solos. Slick stuff, though.

What should i say... hmmmm, the architecture of this tune was a main reason for choosing this one. The solos are for the personal taste :D . But any clue, what this is about and who this might be ?

4: Blandsville, even if the tenor player isn't whispering sweet nothings all the time.

I don't understand exactly what you mean with Blandsville... is this the tune and your impression of the music or is it the fact, that you don't have any idea. I want to be sure, that i understand you in the right way.

5: Curious piece in that is takes a latin-jazz context & builds tension via extra-long suspensions rather than climaxes. Can't say that it's the best context for a tuba solo though.... Still, this one kept me guessing!!

As long as you are in the guessing process, there is not much to say. The tuba-solo .... from my point of view and knowledge.... this can be the beginning of a red thread (like in the minotaurus-story) to the goal.... The latin-Jazz-context is a bit for the disturbancy-factor... but also to the solution. :g Is the tune familiar, do you recognize it ?

6: Yow, quite the cultural collision! Probably it's that Michael White album on Impulse. The voices really, really, don't work.

Yes, the culturs meet in this tune, but not Michael White. Maybe the singers will say that vice versa ? :D

7: More blandsville.... sorry, not my thing, esp. that ostinato from the guitar pasted over everything.

No guitar here :D

8: I note a distinct fondness for tracks that open with a bass solo :) ..... Pop tune with a cute arrangement centred on, yes, multiple basses. This is a rare instance where I prefer the bass solo to the head.... :) Sounds like it might be some period instruments on the head??? Anyway, if I want jazzy chamber music I'll head to Kent Carter's Intersections......

Well, Mr. Bassman is very fond of bass-playing :g yeeees.... multiple basses, that's not bad! Pop-tune ? which one do you have in mind ? Jazzy chamber music ? Really ??? This could be ride on the ice rink! This tune is not that fair, please forgive me, but i liked it and it is "bassy" :g

9: a nice bad-news opening & an "orchestral" feel here. The pianist sounds like it's probably Simon Nabatov, even though without a solo it's hard to tell (the run at circa 1:30 is very Nabatovian). Interesting track, maybe part of a longer suite?

Well, there are some points to be distributed! This is Simon Nabatov!!! Well done ! And... it is part of a longer suite. And.... there is a twisted connection to the BFT#42 ! Maybe the hint in this statement is more disturbing, but there is one! And.... that leads a "big" (not a little...) bit to the overall-theme of this BFT ! (beside the tunes 12-16 on this CD#2)

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Edited by Mr. Bassman

Mr B: "blandsville" is just my shorthand for saying it's too syrupy/smooth/easy-listening to my tastes. -- Aha, that is Nabatov. Possibly one of those Klaus Konig discs? I just tried sampling them on AMG but my connection wasn't working. Anyway, pleased to spot Simon because (unlike the two tracks I spotted on disc 1) I don't own the disc!

Mr B: "blandsville" is just my shorthand for saying it's too syrupy/smooth/easy-listening to my tastes. -- Aha, that is Nabatov. Possibly one of those Klaus Konig discs? I just tried sampling them on AMG but my connection wasn't working. Anyway, pleased to spot Simon because (unlike the two tracks I spotted on disc 1) I don't own the disc!

:tup I am deeply impressed, never thought that someone will catch this one that quick ! It is one of these Klaus König discs, but it is the only one, that i possess. As there is still a lot of time and some people haven't got their packages yet, I will not unveil, which one, so they can try.... :D

Thanks for the explanation of Blandsville, i was not sure, what you meant, now i understand. But i like that #7 very much, #4 is not that a fav, but there is a reason (ha-ha) putting this one into the BFT. When i selected the tracks, i wanted to create a good mix and a lot of fav. things were not choosen, because everyone :w knows them. And sometimes there is a bit of a personal relationship to a musician and i wanted just to introduce him or her here in this fine circle of jazz-lovers (this counts for that track#4). Maybe this is an excuse for the more bland ones. But it is personal view, indeed, i liked it and i thought it is a good example for a piece of calm music in front of some "other" things, that happen later on this CD. Referring to the title.... it is a nice interpretation of that, what the title says. But i don't try to convince you :D:rolleyes:;)

BFT 42 DISC 2

1 S & S – Guitarist & bass player. Classic black pop! Wonderful!

2 A bass player! He’s obviously hearing something in his head, but I can’t hear it. I keep expecting the rest of the band to come in and groove, but they never do. It could be a great groover, if the others joined in.

3 Modern band led by soprano sax. Playing with the rhythm very articulately but, somehow, they never fly – which they could do – because they’re stuck in this clever set of slightly different versions of the riff as each solo builds. Oh and the ending is SOOOO twee!

4 A lovely sounding tenor player grabs you by the balls immediately! The tune keeps reminding me of the George Benson hit, “The greatest love of all”, but I don’t think it really is. There are just a lot of phrases taken from the tune. I like the pianist, too, but he isn’t as attention-grabbing as the tenorman, especially when he comes back in after the pianist has had his say. But no matter, this is a good band of people who are all working together beautifully and creating a gorgeous feeling together. If the rest of the album is this delightful, I think I’ll be looking to buy it.

5 Jumping big band! Then a spiky little theme that’s just held together for me by the Latin percussion. Portentous bits of ensemble arranging tend to break up the groove. Chano Pozo or Mongo wouldn’t have put up with it. Another I think could have been very enjoyable.

6 Middle Eastern stuff. Good groove in the percussion section. This is the sort of thing “World music” DJs tend to put on dancefloor compilations for the benefit of would-be Ali Gs in Staines. It’s also, looking at it from the point of view of the musicians, the sort of thing that Arts Councils give grants for. The pianist doesn’t seem to be very at home here, but the flute & violin solos fit quite well with the voices and rhythm.

7 Is that a harmonium in the background, or some kind of synthesiser? Oh, I think it’s some Indian instrument in a box that I’ve seen on telly.

I like this. It’s as miserable as sin, but calmly content. I don’t think I’d like a LOT of it, however.

8 This, particularly the intro, makes me think of some of those Pharoah Sanders tunes he did in the late ‘70s, after he’d left Impulse and before he started recording for Theresa. Only, it isn’t 20 minutes long! I like this a lot, too.

9 More film music that isn’t! Another dark night, but the hero is strolling along, looking into shop windows. He sees the reflection of someone following him, so he ducks into an amusement arcade and loses the follower in the crowd.

10 More funny instruments and something Middle Eastern about this one, too. Kind of Egyptian, I think, though the bass solo doesn’t sound like that. What an effin’ groove, too! Non-Scottish bagpipes, as well? Another one for the dancefloors of Staines! Bass player is a real killer!

11 “The skaters’ waltz” or “The blue Danube” I always get those two confused. “Radezky march” now. A Strauss medley? Ah, they don’t make ‘em like that any more! How charming!

12 Overlong theme over a Reggae beat. Leading to rock guitar solo. Then a bass solo. Much too long.

13 Trombonist still tuning up while the others are getting started on the next number. (I doubt if this is the same band as the previous track.) I’m going off to make a cup of tea. Audience very enthusiastic, but beats me if I can see why.

14 Attractive bass clarinet intro, leading to pleasant music milling about kind of aimlessly.

15 Very cheerful! I’d certainly drop 10p in the hat if they were playing in the street!

16 Oh, NOW we’ve got the Christmas Carols! Slightly inaccurately played, it seems to me. How can anyone play “Silent night” inaccurately? (I mean, and not do another take.)

Happy Christmas!

Thank you for that nice statements. I hope it was not that painful ??? :) And here are the comments (... again the blue-letter-quotation-System)

BFT 42 DISC 2

1 S & S – Guitarist & bass player. Classic black pop! Wonderful!

:tup I have nothing to add, it is wonderful, indeed!

2 A bass player! He’s obviously hearing something in his head, but I can’t hear it. I keep expecting the rest of the band to come in and groove, but they never do. It could be a great groover, if the others joined in.

... aah! an interesting point ! Sure, this is the bass-only performance... but... this tune was originally recorded as a tune for 5 ! ... maybe this is a hint ???

3 Modern band led by soprano sax. Playing with the rhythm very articulately but, somehow, they never fly – which they could do – because they’re stuck in this clever set of slightly different versions of the riff as each solo builds. Oh and the ending is SOOOO twee!

... but the Leader is not the sax-player. The rhythm refers to the home-country. It seems to me, you like the ending most in this tune :g

4 A lovely sounding tenor player grabs you by the balls immediately! The tune keeps reminding me of the George Benson hit, “The greatest love of all”, but I don’t think it really is. There are just a lot of phrases taken from the tune. I like the pianist, too, but he isn’t as attention-grabbing as the tenorman, especially when he comes back in after the pianist has had his say. But no matter, this is a good band of people who are all working together beautifully and creating a gorgeous feeling together. If the rest of the album is this delightful, I think I’ll be looking to buy it.

Never had the idea with George Benson, but i can follow you! Yes there is some GBism in this tune. But the liner notes of this recording say nothing, only names, tunes and some dates. To me this album is very delightful, it was difficult to choose the title for the BFT. But the tunes are not all that "hymnical". There is a wide spectrum of modern music. I checked the Label... it seems to be out of print

5 Jumping big band! Then a spiky little theme that’s just held together for me by the Latin percussion. Portentous bits of ensemble arranging tend to break up the groove. Chano Pozo or Mongo wouldn’t have put up with it. Another I think could have been very enjoyable.

Hmmmm. If you don't know that tune in the original version, it is very difficult to say anything specific. Maybe this one is too special ???

And i don't understand the last sentence, i can only try to guess, what you mean, my english is not very welltrained, sorry for that. Do you mean another title form that band would be more enjoyable ??? Please forgive me, but i am puzzled.

6 Middle Eastern stuff. Good groove in the percussion section. This is the sort of thing “World music” DJs tend to put on dancefloor compilations for the benefit of would-be Ali Gs in Staines. It’s also, looking at it from the point of view of the musicians, the sort of thing that Arts Councils give grants for. The pianist doesn’t seem to be very at home here, but the flute & violin solos fit quite well with the voices and rhythm.

Nice statement. Never thought that this would make it into the dancefloors. :g

7 Is that a harmonium in the background, or some kind of synthesiser? Oh, I think it’s some Indian instrument in a box that I’ve seen on telly.

I like this. It’s as miserable as sin, but calmly content. I don’t think I’d like a LOT of it, however.

:D I showed a big grin, when i read this one for the first time. .... it's as miserable as sin ... :g i will keep this in my dictionary, i like it ! .... okay, back to work ... there is no synthesiser, and no indian instrument.... and i had the chance to listen to a whole concert of this.... yes, I am a bass-maniac :g I can't tell anything specific at this state of the discussion.

8 This, particularly the intro, makes me think of some of those Pharoah Sanders tunes he did in the late ‘70s, after he’d left Impulse and before he started recording for Theresa. Only, it isn’t 20 minutes long! I like this a lot, too.

Well, there is no link to Pharoah at all.

9 More film music that isn’t! Another dark night, but the hero is strolling along, looking into shop windows. He sees the reflection of someone following him, so he ducks into an amusement arcade and loses the follower in the crowd.

Ahhh, this is a good one !!! As you can read in Nates statements, he already gets a bit of it. It is no film music, but the main theme of that "thing" has some relations to film.... and TV-series ... and literature (some sort of) and.... and at least.... there is a connection to BFT#42 :w

10 More funny instruments and something Middle Eastern about this one, too. Kind of Egyptian, I think, though the bass solo doesn’t sound like that. What an effin’ groove, too! Non-Scottish bagpipes, as well? Another one for the dancefloors of Staines! Bass player is a real killer!

You often visit the dancefloors ??? :w Well, there is a lot of traditional instruments in this melange, maybe not the best recording the bass-player did... but i had to introduce him to you, you say it... he is a killer!

11 “The skaters’ waltz” or “The blue Danube” I always get those two confused. “Radezky march” now. A Strauss medley? Ah, they don’t make ‘em like that any more! How charming!

Yes, it's a Strauß-medley, but a very special.... it is a hommage to an instrument (can you guess, which??) I like this tune very much and it was a kind of a must for Mr. Bassman's BFT. :g

12 Overlong theme over a Reggae beat. Leading to rock guitar solo. Then a bass solo. Much too long.

Okay, you have entered the special theme-part in this BFT.... much too long soloing ? hmmmm.. Those were the days back in the XXXies :rolleyes:

13 Trombonist still tuning up while the others are getting started on the next number. (I doubt if this is the same band as the previous track.) I’m going off to make a cup of tea. Audience very enthusiastic, but beats me if I can see why.

I enjoy your statement a lot, but they are not the same band, it is nearly the same time-period. The audience is very enthusiastic, it was a real highlight !!! And... there is a kind of a connection to #13 of CD1 .... trombone playing.... and .... there is a connection to #5 of this CD. Hope, you enjoyed the tea after that....

14 Attractive bass clarinet intro, leading to pleasant music milling about kind of aimlessly.

I think, this was not that painful like #12 or #13 ? Can you remember the song ? Maybe it is difficult, if you are not involved in some kind of pop-music.

15 Very cheerful! I’d certainly drop 10p in the hat if they were playing in the street!

:rofl: I know, this one is nearly beyond the jazz-borders for a BFT.... but there is a reason (for me) to put this on the CD. Beside the 10p.... this group lasted not very long.

16 Oh, NOW we’ve got the Christmas Carols! Slightly inaccurately played, it seems to me. How can anyone play “Silent night” inaccurately? (I mean, and not do another take.)

As this BFT is ahead of the December/christmas BFT, i took this one as a closing tune.... but there is still the relationship to the special theme... inaccurately.... hmmm, can you specify this a bit more ?

Happy Christmas!

Hmmm, was it that annoying ???

with regards

Mr. Bassman

It wasn't annoying at all Mr B.

One or two points, and I'll see if quotes can be made to work properly

Hmmmm. If you don't know that tune in the original version, it is very difficult to say anything specific. Maybe this one is too special ???

And i don't understand the last sentence, i can only try to guess, what you mean, my english is not very welltrained, sorry for that. Do you mean another title form that band would be more enjoyable ??? Please forgive me, but i am puzzled.

My remark was related to #2 and #3. All 3 tunes could have been much more likeable for me if they'd played them a bit different.

Okay, you have entered the special theme-part in this BFT.... much too long soloing ? hmmmm.. Those were the days back in the XXXies

I meant the whole track was too long, not the bass solo. Sorry I wasn't clear.

As this BFT is ahead of the December/christmas BFT, i took this one as a closing tune.... but there is still the relationship to the special theme... inaccurately.... hmmm, can you specify this a bit more ?

Hard for me to do this because I'm not a musician. There were a few notes he played that didn't sound like they were in the tune I know, but I don't think he was improvising at that stage. I'll have another listen later and try to note the timing for you.

MG

It wasn't annoying at all Mr B.

Thank you for that, MG, okay, then i am pacified.

One or two points, and I'll see if quotes can be made to work properly

They work properly now :) I haven't tested it for the upper limit, i have the suspicion that #10 is a critical number. We had a 9er quote in one of these discussion-posts and they work. When we take 15 quotes into a post, then i have to use the colored-letter-quote-system.

My remark was related to #2 and #3. All 3 tunes could have been much more likeable for me if they'd played them a bit different.

Ah, now it is clear. Well then, #2 exists as a peace for 5 and if i listen to both versions, i can imagine, what you mean, but as it is a modern thing, it may be not that likeable to you either (okay, i presume this). #3 is played by younger musicians (compared to me) and #5 is difficult to explain... at this state of progress in the discussion about CD#2, but I will return to this or someone of our participiants will recognize it.

I meant the whole track was too long, not the bass solo. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Ah, this makes sense now for me.... this take here is a live performance of that tune and there exists a studio recording, too (which is shorter, maybe half of the time), but my old cassette-tape with that recording is nearly ruined, it howls like a wulf. This live-performance is taken from a vinyl one (but there must be a CD, too). This tune is surely in our today-imagination/reception too long, that was my impression too, when i prepared the BFT. But then, i don't wanted to shorten it or put a fading .... The bass-solo is naturally the matter for the BFT and this recording has a special meaning for me.

Hard for me to do this because I'm not a musician. There were a few notes he played that didn't sound like they were in the tune I know, but I don't think he was improvising at that stage. I'll have another listen later and try to note the timing for you.

Okay, there can be more than one reason for that. He takes a special harmonisation of his own, changes the core-melody, maybe there are too much effects in it (chorus, flanger, reverb or whatever) and the instrument itself may cause this, too. Playing is not that easy... and the flubbing-factor is not low.... but as he is a very accurate player, if you have the time and the delight, to note the timing, i will keep an eye ... eh.. ear on it !

with regards

Mr. Bassman

haven't listened to it more than once but that Slim&Slam Flat foot flootie is hard to get out of your ears again....ahhhhhhhh out daemons out....

rest to follow

Cheers, Tjobbe

:w ... floy-hoy... floy-hoy ... :lol:

...i can't wait for it ;):rolleyes:

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Actually, I should have said that that was the first time I've heard the original. I have only seen them do it on film. So thank you Mr B.

MG

haven't listened to it more than once but that Slim&Slam Flat foot flootie is hard to get out of your ears again....ahhhhhhhh out daemons out....

rest to follow

Cheers, Tjobbe

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Actually, I should have said that that was the first time I've heard the original. I have only seen them do it on film. So thank you Mr B.

MG

:) But i have to thank mikeweil, because he is the real source for this version. He invited me to S&S! The liner notes of the package state, that this version was unissued on a 78-rpm record.

and here something for all of you... who can withstand these gentlemen ??? :g

rest to follow

Cheers, Tjobbe

with regards

Mr. Bassman

MG

:) But i have to thank mikeweil, because he is the real source for this version. He invited me to S&S! The liner notes of the package state, that this version was unissued on a 78-rpm record.

and here something for all of you... who can withstand these gentlemen ??? :g

Oh, so this isn't the original Vocalion take? So it must be the alternative take that was issued on a Columbia LP.

MG

Oh, so this isn't the original Vocalion take? So it must be the alternative take that was issued on a Columbia LP.

MG

I try to be as precise as i can be with the information that is in the booklet. In the tracklisting they wrote: "Master unissued on 78 rpm" and the record date is Januar, 19th 1938. In the liner notes they tell us the nice story with the time capsule of 1939, where a copy of the vocalion version was placed in this box, which has to be opend in the year 5000. And the author says: "...a copy of the original Vocalion record of "the flat foot floogie" (included here) was placed.... " For me this sound like... they have used a Vocalion session, which was not issued on 78rpm in the old days.

Maybe another point (it was mentioned in the discussion) will or might support this. I quote the following from the notes:

"...And, as if by magic, Gaillard sold a nonsense ditty he'd written, "The Flat-Fleet Floozie (with the Floy Floy)", to a publisher and recorded it for Vocalion--but not before executives got him to doctor the title, recasting the slightly raffish "Floozie" as "Floogie"...."

I think, we can all hear, what they sing....

I hope, this can be helpful. Maybe someone knows more than me, i have only this liner notes.

Edited by Mr. Bassman

MG

I try to be as precise as i can be with the information that is in the booklet. In the tracklisting they wrote: "Master unissued on 78 rpm" and the record date is Januar, 19th 1938. In the liner notes they tell us the nice story with the time capsule of 1939, where a copy of the vocalion version was placed in this box, which has to be opend in the year 5000. And the author says: "...a copy of the original Vocalion record of "the flat foot floogie" (included here) was placed.... " For me this sound like... they have used a Vocalion session, which was not issued on 78rpm in the old days.

Maybe another point (it was mentioned in the discussion) will or might support this. I quote the following from the notes:

"...And, as if by magic, Gaillard sold a nonsense ditty he'd written, "The Flat-Fleet Floozie (with the Floy Floy)", to a publisher and recorded it for Vocalion--but not before executives got him to doctor the title, recasting the slightly raffish "Floozie" as "Floogie"...."

I think, we can all hear, what they sing....

I hope, this can be helpful. Maybe someone knows more than me, i have only this liner notes.

I'll check this later. I seem to remember there being two originally unissued versions, one from the same session as the Vocalion - that came out on Columbia LP - and one from a few days or weeks earlier. Not enough time to fire up the discography at present.

MG

I'll check this later. I seem to remember there being two originally unissued versions, one from the same session as the Vocalion - that came out on Columbia LP - and one from a few days or weeks earlier. Not enough time to fire up the discography at present.

MG

OK, discog fired up. Here are the results (a few years out of date, so they don't reflect the album from which you took the BFT track). I've cut out the personnel details :)

New York, January 19, 1938

22318-2 The flat foot floogie (unissued) Voc

22319-2 Chinatown, my Chinatown -

22320-2 That's what you call romance -

This is the one you put on the BFT.

New York, February 17, 1938

22318-4 The flat foot floogie (1) Voc 4021, Tax m-8028, Epic SN6042, Classics

705 [CD]

22318-X The flat foot floogie (1) Col P514320

22319-5 Chinatown, my Chinatown Voc 4021, Stash ST-103, Caete LP3, Tax m-8028,

Classics 705 [CD]

22320-3 That's what you call romance Voc 3981, Tax m-8028, Caete LP3, Classics 705 [CD]

22441-2 Ti-pi-tin - - - -

This session, a month later, produced what has always been regarded as the "original" version, released on Voc 4021, with an alt take on Columbia P514320.

Interesting that Vocalion issued the other two songs first. They must have thought they had greater commercial potential.

MG

Lot of fun but a few guesses

1 kinda prologue I guess

2 when the intro stops

3 my music

4 my music give me more!

5 OK

6 I can leave without it

7 some ECM stuff (let me guess - Eberhard Weber on bass?)

8 OK

9 OK

11 some classics - OK but doesn't fit well

12 OK

13 OK

14 main theme is Police-Walking on the Moon - original is much better

15 I can leave without it

16 OK

Andrew

At first, MG, thank you very much for this research-work! I'm not that involved into discographic work, but this solves the problem of a first recording of "FFF". This was new for me, that the so-called official first recording was a month later and the one in this compilation delivers the "real" first recording of this tune.

OK, discog fired up. Here are the results (a few years out of date, so they don't reflect the album from which you took the BFT track). I've cut out the personnel details :)

New York, January 19, 1938

22318-2 The flat foot floogie (unissued) Voc

22319-2 Chinatown, my Chinatown -

22320-2 That's what you call romance -

This is the one you put on the BFT.

Yes, , the first two tracks are in that package. They added a recording No. MX 22321-1 "Oh, Lady be good" from same date and place, "that's what you call romance is not in that compilation.

Interesting that Vocalion issued the other two songs first. They must have thought they had greater commercial potential.

Maybe the pronounciation of "Floogie" during the Februar recording was more precise, just a guess, i can't check that, becouse i don't have that Februar recording (... the so-called original Vocalise release).

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Ah, Andrew "dutchmanx" entered his list. Thank you for the nice words and i can see, that you enjoy to listen to the discs. Now, here are my remarks:

1 kinda prologue I guess

You can follow the discussion thread here... you can see, it is unveiled, but your impression is absolutely right, it is a opener :) . How do you like this stuff from the older days ?

2 when the intro stops

... what happens after that ? Can you add some words ?

3 my music

4 my music give me more!

:D That is interesting, because these two are somewhat different. Maybe you can add some more words? If you have the time...

6 I can leave without it

:excited: Well, in the old days of world music there was a lot of "try-and-error" :g

7 some ECM stuff (let me guess - Eberhard Weber on bass?)

Ahhhh ! :):tup I can assure you, it is EW! Do you know the recording or was it the impression during the listening-session ? And it is an ECM-work. Now, the album is still unmentioned. Need some homework ??? ;)

11 some classics - OK but doesn't fit well

okay, accepted.

14 main theme is Police-Walking on the Moon - original is much better

:tup Yeah, another credit-point for you, the title is walking on the moon, but i like this one much more. That doesn't mean, that the police version is bad (well, for my ears :) ).

15 I can leave without it

I can understand, but why is this tune in the BFT ? any guesses or ideas ? (to this question... tracks 12-16 belong to the same theme).

to the "ok"-remarks i can only say "thats fine" as it seems that you listen to that tunes with a good quantity of enjoying it.

with regards

Mr. Bassman