Making a jazz workout mix.

Hardbopjazz

for me, one of the joys of working out at the gym is having the chance to listen to one or two jazz albums uninterrupted. however, i don't choose the music based on what will pump me up or keep me going. i like a variety of tempos, since i typically vary my workout to include aerobics, strengthening and building exercises, etc. that being said, it's unlikely i'll listen to an ecm recording at the gym. instead, i look for something new that i haven't had much of a chance to listen to. othewise, i'm looking for passionate solos that i can focus my attention on, rather than the feelings of fatigue or discomfort that accompany this soon-to-be 50-year-old body. ^_^

Max Roach. He's a marcher, not a dancer...

Hm. That is a fundamental divide that I had never really put my finger on. Kind of like: "There are two types of people in the world..."

It works in this example, actually. I think you might have nailed something that I had never boiled down.

There are two types of trapset players.

Max Roach. He's a marcher, not a dancer...

Hm. That is a fundamental divide that I had never really put my finger on. Kind of like: "There are two types of people in the world..."

It works in this example, actually. I think you might have nailed something that I had never boiled down.

There are two types of trapset players.

Well, yeah, and I think that's what Whitney Balliet meant with his ill-informed comment that Max didn't swing. Max swings like a mofo, but his is not a dance swing, although you can certainly dance to it. It's just that Maxhas always been more about the focused purposeful task-driven determination of the march than he has the recreational ritualistic result-driven relaxation of the dance.

And even that doesn't fully get to the crux of the matter, but you already know what I meant anyway, so hey. ;)

I've thought about this some, but haven't actually assembled such a mix. I often participate in a spin bike session which usually features rock, techno, motown (lots of U2, occaisionally the US3 hit). Thought about handing an all-jazz disc to the instructor and seeing what would happen (or alternatively use it when I spin by myself). Many of them are included because they provide a steady groove, a groove that may be a bit slow for runners.

Herbie Hancock- Cantaloupe Island, Watermelon Man, Chameleon [? hill climb]

Miles Davis- All Blues, Freddie Freeloader

Roy Haynes- Sneakin' Around

Yusef Lateef- Road Runner, Straighten Up and Fly Right, Head Hunters

Cannonball Adderley- Who Cares? Sticks

Nat Adderley- I Got Plenty o' Nuttin'

Wayne Shorter- Adam's Apple

Horace Silver- The Preacher, Doodlin' (as cooldown?)

Thelonious Monk- Misterioso, Thelonious

Art Pepper- Groovin' High, Move

Dee Dee Bridgewater- Permit Me to Introduce You to Yourself (as warmup?), Tokyo Blues, Nica's Dream (all from the Horace tribute album)

Carmen McRae- It's Over Now, You Know Who, Listen to Monk (all from the Monk tribute album)

Mose Allison- What's Your Movie? Josephine, Gettin' There (exhaustion starting to set in), I'm Alive

Organissimo- Stomp Yo' Feets, Clap Yo' Hands

Dave Douglas- Play It Momma

Joanne Brackeen- Everything She Wants, Fi-Fi Goes to Heaven

Don Bennett- Dance of the Night

Bad Plus- 1979 Semi-Finalist, And Here We Test Our Powers of Observation, Layin' a Strip, Dirty Blonde, Big Eater, 1972 Bronze Medalist, Flim

Tomasz Stanko- Suspended Variation II

Haven't sequenced such a mix, and one would definitely need to consider some Blakey, Dex, Trane.

Edited by Patrick