1970s BN Rainbow cover LPs vs. Japanese King LPs

Dmitry

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd dig these covers on ECM albums, but they just don't do it for me as far as feeling the music that's on the Lps they house. My personal opinion, of course.

Not to diss the photos themselvs, of course. Come to think of it, we don't know if they were taken specifically for the purpose of these covers, of were pulled by an art director from portfolios in a photo agency or a gallery someplace. At least I don't know.

As art work goes some of these covers would look quite in place in a classy lounge in Chelsea. Apple Martini, anyone? ;)

• 1 year later...

Up for this topic. I have most of the King pressings of these titles and they have cost me quite a lot of money. There is no question that they sound better than the American pressings. Could anybody post a list of the Rainbow titles, please? It seems to me that quite a lot of them were not reissued by King. Does that mean that some of these titles are only available on LP in this Rainbow series?

Edited by ASNL77

I haven't got any list of Rainbow, though I own several of them, but this thread reminds me that I'd have like some of this stuff reissued in the recent 45 rpm series, instead of the most common big stuff, easier to find in one of the several reissues.

I haven't got any list of Rainbow, though I own several of them, but this thread reminds me that I'd have like some of this stuff reissued in the recent 45 rpm series, instead of the most common big stuff, easier to find in one of the several reissues.

Exactly Porcy! It is exactly what I think. The 45 RPM series is brilliant but so many of these titles have been reissued by King, Classic records etc etc...Why is it that these titles do not get the attention they deserve? A lot of them are cracking sessions!

BTW, I have found a list on the following website! Great site!

http://www.jazzdisco.org/bluenote/lt-cat/

Edited by ASNL77

But when this stuff started coming out, starting with the twofers with the brown paper bag look, it was bloomin' wonderful! I mean, you just didn't care which versions you got! As soon as I saw one I bought it (a slight exaggeration - there were a few I didn't want). We had no idea in the late '70s that there were all these gems that had never been issued.

That was completely my feeling at the time as well. Bl**dy motherlode !