Sonny Rollins, "+3" (Milestone)

Bol

I was wondering what people thought of this recording. Been getting more into Rollins recordings from 1950s lately, and I thought I should give a more recent recording a try. This one seems most likely to resemble his earlier recordings -- in terms of both music selection and lineup. Have some qualms about the electric bass, but perhaps it won't be too glaring or intrusive.

I don't know why the 1950s Rollins recordings did not "work" for me before. Now they seem fantastic. His sound is so much more compelling than other tenor sax players.

Edited by Bol

I've never heard +3; it's one of those I've been meaning to get around to. I have noticed that of all of Sonny's Milestones records of the 25 years before Silver City was released, it has received the most favorable comments. Often the comment was to say that it is the only one of that period worth getting.

It's a good album you can do without. This and Without a Song. The 9/11 Concert (which I just picked up yesterday) are the only Rollins albums I have from the last 10-15 years so though unexceptional on its own it might indeed be one of the better albums of recent vintage.

I got this one. I really like it. There is not that sense of anything-can-happen as there is in his early recordings. But still a very fine album. But for the life of me, I don't know why he prefers an electric bass to a real one. The plucking sound of a standup bass is one of the best sounds of jazz.