My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Guy Berger

indie rock musicians pick the "most overrated" album

While I didn't find most of their arguments to be convincing, they did manage to convince me that some indie rock musicians are annoying wankers.

Guy

Annoying hipster poses never go out of fashion, unfortunately...hard to even appreciate the points in there that I agreed with to some extent, simply because those quoted were reekin' of the old attitude. And yeah, SGT. PEPPER is somewhat overrated, but hasn't that been said about ten thousand times by previous indiots? (Term courtesy of my friend Linn Tate.) C'mon, kids, get a fresh start--bash REVOLVER for a change.

Let me add that a fraction of musicians from any genre (and people in general) are wankers. The question is why we/music journalists/The Guardian care any more about what these specific wankers think than they do about Bon Jovi's insights..

Guy

Edited by Guy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grow Fins is what made me appreciate Beefheart; I'd had the studio LPs before but didn't listen to them much. Dare I say he fooled with the tunes on Trout Mask too much, so that when it came time to release the thing, a lot of the fire'd been whittled out? I think this may go for Lick My Decals Off as well. Just a thought.

Fuck the Stone Roses, Smiths, Sgt Pepper, Pet Sounds, etc.

White Light White Heat gets my vote for VU. Nico is annoying.

I liked Television, don't care for Franz Ferdinand, but I kinda liked the way the guy expressed his dislike for Marquee Moon. He said he respects it, but "Because the words "punk" and "New York" and "1977" are associated with it, it's deemed cool." There's a lot of truth to that. Mentioning the Grateful Dead too was a hoot.

And having yet again heard Arcade Fire in a bar tonight and thinking how much they have in common with bombastic U2 (in other words failing yet again to appreciate what all the critics are jizzing over), Green Gartside pegged my attitude towards 'em pretty nicely. It was fun to see modern "classic" knocked down along with all of the usual suspects.

• 10 months later...

My Bloody Valentine North American Tour Dates:

09/19-21 Monticello, NY - Kutshers Country Club (ATP New York)

09/22 New York, NY - Roseland

09/23 New York, NY - Roseland

09/25 Toronto, Ontario - Ricoh (odd venue and pricey - hockey arena, $45, but I'll be there with earplugs :crazy: )

09/27 Chicago, IL - Aragon Ballroom

09/30 San Francisco, CA - The Concourse

10/01 Los Angeles, CA - Santa Monica Civic

10/02 Los Angeles, CA - Santa Monica Civic

• 4 months later...

Saw them last night. They wisely switched from the arena to a normal venue, as there was less than 2000 people.

Lots of youngsters there. One guy said to me "so you saw them back in the day?" I guess I am getting on if 1992 is back in the day. :rolleyes:

Not sure if many realized how loud it was going to get, even though plugs were offered as you walked in. I felt like the old cranky guy telling people to put em in, don't be stoic, it will get louder. You will hurt, you will have tintinnus for a very long time.

My plugs were stronger than what they handed out but I did put these on after 1/3 of the 25 minute sonic assault of Realise, the closer.

hec10.gif

The volume grew in such intensity it was shocking. In NY on Monday at the ATP they say it was atound 128 db!

Some poeple looked like they were going to cry during Realise, more than a few bailed off the floor. I could tell they were in pain, because even with plugs, the pain can creep in slowly. Its those bass frequencies. Felt like you were being punched in the chest at times.

But of course, for me, insane lover of feedback, it was an epiphany. It was like the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

However, with my "protection", I can still hear fine today. Crazy that I saw a few loser dudes who opted not to wear plugs at all.

They played pretty much all of the 2 albums including Loveless, very faithfully. So no Sonic Youth improv, except for the "holocaust" solo noted above.

Not that you'd watch all (or any) of this, but this is fairly accurate (from Catskills NY), especially the stunned faces. I was one of the few last night smiling the whole time through Realise.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1817750855

The Hypsterz live!

c

:tup

Wonderful group, that should have been on the most recent Nuggets set. The mom-and-pop record store I used to work at had them do an instore when Hypstrz Live at the Longhorn was issued by Bomp.

I ran across the "Hypsterz Live" album sometime in 1984. Great stuff! Hugely energetic punk album. I agree that at least one song of theirs should have been on Nuggets III.

As for a really overrated album----how about Thriller by Michael Jackson. I always considered it a real yawn.

Would love to hear from someone who has been to multiple shows, one of which being the Chicago one. I'm really curious if the muddy sound at the Aragon Friday was the norm or the result of room acoustics. Considering I've been to loud and clear shows before, and considering this is so much about the sound, I was really disappointed that it wasn't much more than an extremely loud rumble with an occasional detail breaking through.

Would love to hear from someone who has been to multiple shows, one of which being the Chicago one. I'm really curious if the muddy sound at the Aragon Friday was the norm or the result of room acoustics. Considering I've been to loud and clear shows before, and considering this is so much about the sound, I was really disappointed that it wasn't much more than an extremely loud rumble with an occasional detail breaking through.

I saw the Chicago show. Pretty disappointing. Actually, worse than that: It was probably the most uncomfortable, physically assaultive show I've ever been to.

I was, of course, prepared for the volume. I was not prepared for the light show--strobes directed at the audience that felt to me like flashbulbs going off right in front of my eyes. It was also almost unbearably hot when I was up in the crowd near the front. I finally moved the back to get a glass of ice water and I enjoyed it more from the back. And then "You Made Me Realise" started, and I must say, I was bored out of my mind by the "white noise" section, which lasted about 25 minutes. People started exiting after about 20--not a lot, perhaps, but enough to notice.

The image that will stick with me is a guy coming to the back of the main room at about that 20-minute mark, turning, and raising a middle finger to the band before leaving.

• 5 months later...

MBV taking the stage at Fuji 2008:

I love the people screaming at the beginning--like it's the second coming of dreampop that they've been fantasizing about for years. I saw them at the Vick in Chicago in 1992 and didn't try to catch 'em this time around, but I'm glad that a lot of younger fans got a chance to hear them live (though the posts above indicate the shows being a bit of a mixed bag--and I can certainly see overwhelming volume wiping out some of the appeal of the band's sound. When I saw them at the Vick the DB level supposedly hit about 120.)

Edited by ghost of miles

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A shoegaze/dreampop band I was really into circa 1990 and went on a mad kick for again tonight, pulling up old video clips on YouTube--Lush:

De Luxe

If you can find GALA at a reasonable price, well worth picking up--it gathers their early EPs. Not as familiar with the later material, though what I've heard of it doesn't strike me the same way the GALA sides do.

Edited by ghost of miles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Yeah, put me down as very underwhelmed by this one, but the kids seemed to like it though. On the same level as "Green Day is really what punk is about." Most overrated album in my opinion is Dream Theater: Metropolis PT. 2: Scenes From A Memory. Was not impressed at all.

I ask a million pardons, I was a fool about Loveless! I've been listening to it lately and it is a stone-cold classic, maybe I wasn't playing it loud enough. I will hang my head in shame now. Kevin Shields, I'm sorry!

I definitely would be on board for a deluxe edition of Loveless, what would they add for the second disk? A concert? Demos?

Mono! ^_^ Just kidding. It's been so long I've forgotten what was proposed, and as the rug has been pulled out from under so many times regarding a deluxe release at this point I'll just wait until it happens. If it ever does...

A shoegaze/dreampop band I was really into circa 1990 and went on a mad kick for again tonight, pulling up old video clips on YouTube--Lush:

De Luxe

If you can find GALA at a reasonable price, well worth picking up--it gathers their early EPs. Not as familiar with the later material, though what I've heard of it doesn't strike me the same way the GALA sides do.

I was caught off guard by how much I enjoyed Gala. A friend played it for me and I wound up listening to it several times in a row.

Probably easy to find pretty cheap at used stores in larger towns.

Also a big fan of Spiritualized and, to a lesser degree, Spacemen 3.

Never could get into MBV, despite the best efforts of various friends.