Secret Listening Pleasures

Dave James

Lon brought up Lawrence Welk on the "Silliest Album Covers" thread (BTW, that's got to be one of my favorite all time threads). That got me thinking about secret listening pleasures...the stuff you like to listen to but that you probably wouldn't want a whole lot of people to know about. So, I hereby admit to being a closet Lawrence Welk fan. I grew up listening to his band in the '50's and I even watch the reruns on public television on Saturday nights when I can. I can still remember the names of about half his band from that era. Anyone who thinks that guy couldn't swing (in spite of all the corn) is sadly mistaken.

What else? Well, Dean Martin is one of my very favorite singers. I think I could listen to him all day and not feel like I wasted a single moment. Speaking of the Rat Pack, I'm also partial to Sammy Davis Jr. If you haven't heard "The Wham of Sam" on Warner-Reprise with the Marty Paich Dek-tette, you're missing a mighty fine piece of work.

Up over and out.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANIMOTION. OBSESSION... It was embarrassing even when it came out that I liked it...secretly! :ph34r: Now with 80's stations in vogue, I still get to tap my feet..in shame! Though the lyrics really spoke to a generation...

You are an obsession

I cannot sleep

I am a posession

Unopened at your feet

There is no balance

No equality

Be still

I will not accept defeat

I will have you

Yes I will have you

I will find a way and I will have you

Like a butterfly

A wild butterfly

I will collect you and capture you

You are an obsession

You're my obsession

Who do you want me to be

To make you sleep with me

You are an obsession

You're my obsession

Who do you want me to be

I feed you I drink you

My day and my night

I need you I need you

By sun or candlelight

You protest you want to leave

Stay there's no alternative

Your face appears again

I see the beauty there

But I see danger

Stranger beware

A circumstance in your naked dream

Your affection is not what it seems

You are an obsession

You're my obsession

Who do you want me to be

You are an obsession

You're my obsession

Who do you want me to be

My fantasy has turned to madness

All my goodness has turned to badness

My need to posess you has consumed my soul

My life is trembling I have no control

I will have you

Yes I will have you

I will find a way and I will have you

Like a butterfly

A wild butterfly

I will collect you and capture you

You are an obsession

You're my obsession

Who do you want me to be

You are an obsession

You're my obsession

Who do you want me to be

(repeat and fade

Oh man, where's Joe G? I was talking about Gino with somebody the other day and Joe had no idea who we were talking about! I told him I didn't know much about the guy, I just remember the records in my dad's collection and how every one had this Italian dude with poofy hair and his shirt undone with chest hair flowing out all over the place!

HA! That's funny shit. I should listen to those records of my dad's. I could never bare to open them when I was younger! The guy looked too darn swarmy.

I guess I'd have to go with Gino Vannelli too. I really did that 70s sound of his. I actually saw him live in Buffalo 3 years ago. Great show. Had 2 guys from the band Uzeb with him - Alain Caron and Paul Brochu plus a couple of other French Canadian jazzers. Fabulous show with a real jazzy feel.

He also played the Montréal Jazz Festival the year I saw him and this year as well. I had my 2 young boys with me and did not get to go to see either show in Montréal.

Ok, here goes, but ONLY because I trust you guys not to make fun of me...uh, yeah, right! ;)

While I own none of her recordings nor do I ever plan to buy any, I honestly don't mind bellowing along with some of Amy Grant's tunes on "hit radio" stations in the car. You know this music (admit it), 80's hits like "Every Heartbeat" and "Baby Baby" (just the names alone tell you we're not in Cole Porter territory lyrically).

Geez, why this is, I can't even BEGIN to tell you. I generally hate inane pop, I'm not a Christian and truly despise rock with religious overtones...I have never been able to figure it out, but there it is and it feels GOOD to say it in public (well, I also told my wife once, but she made me sleep on the couch for a month and after that, for the sake of our marriage, we agreed it was a topic that would never be spoken of again).

Well, it could have something to do with the fact that she IS kind of hot...

p09902f96k6.jpg

Edited by DrJ

Weird. I can't even see the following posts when I bring up this thread. Only when I choose to reply, can I see what is posted below. A glitch?

b3-er  Posted on Aug 21 2003, 02:42 AM

Oh man, where's Joe G? I was talking about Gino with somebody the other day and Joe had no idea who we were talking about! I told him I didn't know much about the guy, I just remember the records in my dad's collection and how every one had this Italian dude with poofy hair and his shirt undone with chest hair flowing out all over the place!

HA! That's funny shit. I should listen to those records of my dad's. I could never bare to open them when I was younger! The guy looked too darn swarmy.

catesta  Posted on Aug 20 2003, 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Peter Johnson @ Aug 20 2003, 05:34 AM)

Jim, I can get with that!

Glad it's not only me.

I have to admit I dig some Engelbert Humperdinck.

After the Lovin' was a cool tune.

Peter Johnson  Posted on Aug 20 2003, 06:34 AM

Jim, I can get with that!

One of my favorite songs is "It just Wanna Stop" by Gino...he was playing here in Philly recently, didn't quite make it to the show, though!

Anyway, I got into Gino from my father's collection as well. Sure it's a bit over the top, but some of it really smokes!

Odd. I just logged in using IE and I can see everything again. I was using Mozilla Firebird as my main browser. Must be a bug in Mozilla.

Well, glad to see i'm not the only Gino fan!

I just bought his first album from 1973 on eBay for 99 cents!

Check out this cover!

i-1.JPG

Oh man, where's Joe G?  I was talking about Gino with somebody the other day and Joe had no idea who we were talking about!  I told him I didn't know much about the guy, I just remember the records in my dad's collection and how every one had this Italian dude with poofy hair and his shirt undone with chest hair flowing out all over the place!

HA!  That's funny shit.  I should listen to those records of my dad's.  I could never bare to open them when I was younger!  The guy looked too darn swarmy.

Jim, you were discussing Gino Vanelli with Brian and I in Ann Arbor. Brian mentioned that we had attended a Gino Vanelli concert in 1978 or so, although we didn't know each other back then.

I particularly liked "Brother to Brother" and "Gist of the Gemini." Haven't heard these albums in years. Wouldn't mind listening to them again to see if they still kick.

Okay my secret weakness is....Michael Franks. Oh the shame!! :(:unsure: I'm a sucker for quiet sambas and he's made a career out of them. I even don't mind his singing. I generally like the themes of his lyrics and identify with much of them given my much-travelled and wayward life.

Edited by connoisseur series500