Vibraphone

Jazz Kat

I'm looking for a vibraphone. I'm gonna sell my student musser marimba, and put the money towards real vibes, with sustain and a pedal. Under 1,000. I was thinking one of those Jenco vibraphones that are usually in schools. I don't know where to get one. I'll probaly get 500 or 600 for my marimba, if I sell it. Where can I find a set of vibes, for around that much? I tried ebay, but its a long shot. I'm not looking for a brand new set of Ross vibes for 4,000 dollars. I just don't have the money. any ideas??

I'm looking for a set too. Amazing that I must have like 1,000 albums with vibes on them, yet if I call a music store and ask if they have second hand vibes in stock, I'm met with several seconds worth of dead air. I've tried eBay too and it's tough.

Not sure where in NY you are, but I would think you could get a decent set in or around the city, being that there's lots of musicians but not enough space in those shoebox apartments to house a vibraphone.

I'm looking for a vibraphone. I'm gonna sell my student musser marimba, and put the money towards real vibes, with sustain and a pedal. Under 1,000. I was thinking one of those Jenco vibraphones that are usually in schools. I don't know where to get one. I'll probaly get 500 or 600 for my marimba, if I sell it. Where can I find a set of vibes, for around that much? I tried ebay, but its a long shot. I'm not looking for a brand new set of Ross vibes for 4,000 dollars. I just don't have the money. any ideas??

You can get a brand new set of Ross vibes for under $3,000 (try Musicians Friend) on the Internet. If you want real vibes, don't go looking for Jenco's. Try Deagans or Mussers, you will have better luck.

I'm looking for a set too. Amazing that I must have like 1,000 albums with vibes on them, yet if I call a music store and ask if they have second hand vibes in stock, I'm met with several seconds worth of dead air. I've tried eBay too and it's tough.

Not sure where in NY you are, but I would think you could get a decent set in or around the city, being that there's lots of musicians but not enough space in those shoebox apartments to house a vibraphone.

Both of you might try Steve Weiss in New York. BUT definately join the VibeNet and get some advise from some of the pros who post there.

You might want to look at the posts at TheVibe.net

I must of registered there a long long time ago. I tried to register and it said my email was already assigned to a member. I don't remember signing up. Oh well. I just want this search to be over!!

Try sending a test email to yourself. If it comes back to you then something else is mistakenly wrong at the VibeNet. Be sure and click on Return Receipt. You will get an email back stating if the email has been opened at some other destination or yours. If somewhere else, you might want to contact the FCC.

Register again. The VibeNet has been hacked quite a few times in the past few years. If necessary, use a new call name and password. Your email cannot possibly be already assigned unless it was assigned to you. If you still have problems with that, get in touch with the administrator so he can clear your previous registrations.

Keep trying EBAY. Vibes have a way of recycling there. You'll find something (that is if you insist on not buying new).

Good luck to you both.

BruceW

Edited by BruceW

• 2 weeks later...

You are going to be hard-pressed to find a vibraphone for under $1,000. I bought a well-used Deagan 582 from the late 60s three years ago for more than that. Refinishing/tuning costs are about half of your budget and shipping on an item this heavy is not cheap.

Bruce can tell you how much mallets cost!

To be realistic, you ought to try to save up more money and wait for a nice vibraphone to come along.

You can expect to pay anywhere from $20 (possibly on sale) to $100 a pair. A comfortable range of prices for good to very good mallets would be about $35 (on sale) to $55 or $65 a pair. Anything over that should probably be playing the music for you. There are a lot of brands and a lot of very good mallets, do the search, the prices are usually listed with pictures.

Luck to you

:cool:

My in-laws used to have one that i think they were trying to sell at one point. Lemme check if they still have it (and still want to sell it). I'm not sure of the make/model. Does Yamaha make one? If so, that name rings a bell (no pun intended), but I'm not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I'm hoping everyone on this thread sees this cuz I'm selling a set of Jenco vibes. I have photos which I'd like to show you so if anyone is still interested please email me at justinmonroevernon@gmail.com.

Only thing is I'm thinking of pick-up only on the set, as they're quite a haul to ship. The set, and myself, are in Brooklyn, NY.

Thanks,

Justin

ps the vibes are used and sound incredible.

Hi I'm hoping everyone on this thread sees this cuz I'm selling a set of Jenco vibes. I have photos which I'd like to show you so if anyone is still interested please email me at justinmonroevernon@gmail.com.

Only thing is I'm thinking of pick-up only on the set, as they're quite a haul to ship. The set, and myself, are in Brooklyn, NY.

Thanks,

Justin

ps the vibes are used and sound incredible.

I think Jazz Kat is close by!

• 2 weeks later...

Jazz Cat

I am from the Vibenet. There are some vibists and vibe industry related personnel on there with expert information.

If you are really serious, you need to get back on the Vibenet. I had advised you earlier in post#8. You claim you have email problems with them. That simply cannot be. That email address is yours. Contact the administrator, Jerry Grosz, to iron things out. It may take a little while for him to get back to you, but he will.

ggrosz@thevibe.net

If you don't wish to do that to re establish your contact, then simply contact Bill Youhass at Fallcreek Marimbas:

bill@marimbas.com

That is his email address. He will send you a brochure with ALL the services they provide for vibes and marimbas. I had my bars tuned there so you can get the EXACT information from him on replacement, costs, tuning, etc. He will need to know the make and model of vibes you are talking about.

Again, good luck to you.

:)

Edited by BruceW