Tinnitus

Thanks for all the advice fellows,

My tinnitus only seems to bother me when I (as I said before) play at the very top end of the vibes; not single notes but rather ma 2nds, mi 3rds, ma 3rds and 4ths. For some reason #4ths, 5ths, #5ths, b7ths, ma 7ths and octaves are not bad. Weird I know, but that is what gets me. Volumne is not much of a problem unless it is really blasting right behind me. So I always put drummers off to my right and bass to my left or the bass in between myself and the drums in combo groups.

Bruce

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had two ear infections over the past 10 years where first there was an almost complete blockage of sound, and then some ringing.......but the most bizarre thing was that for 2 or 3 weeks I was hearing almost a half step off in the affected ear, meaning of course a single tone produced the effect of a half step. As I work as a collaborative pianist for a living, it was interesting, to say the least, to have to do one performance with a violinist that I just could not get out of. The 2nd time was in the summer, and I had no performances, but HAD to record a silent film accompaniment (solo piano) for a deadline. To listen back to my efforts I had to put ONE headphone up to the "good" ear. Luckily the effects did wear off completely, although sometimes the ear involved in the one 3 years ago will start to itch badly while I'm sleeping.

Anyone have this pitch bending effect along with an ear infection?

I've had two ear infections over the past 10 years where first there was an almost complete blockage of sound, and then some ringing.......but the most bizarre thing was that for 2 or 3 weeks I was hearing almost a half step off in the affected ear, meaning of course a single tone produced the effect of a half step. As I work as a collaborative pianist for a living, it was interesting, to say the least, to have to do one performance with a violinist that I just could not get out of. The 2nd time was in the summer, and I had no performances, but HAD to record a silent film accompaniment (solo piano) for a deadline. To listen back to my efforts I had to put ONE headphone up to the "good" ear. Luckily the effects did wear off completely, although sometimes the ear involved in the one 3 years ago will start to itch badly while I'm sleeping.

Anyone have this pitch bending effect along with an ear infection?

Not quite, but when my ETD is acting up, certain sounds, especially in the upper frequencies, become distorted. Certain sounds, like a clarinet playing high notes or the sound of a paper bag being cumpled, are actually physically painful. Fortunately it hasn't been much of an issue lately, though.

• 2 years later...

For the past ten days, the whole world has been in mono for me, my right ear is completely gone. Stupid ear! At least I was able to get an ENT to see me late next week. I don't even bother to listen to music when my ears suck so bad. :angry:

Is it a temporary condition? If so, count your blessings.

The ringing in my ears is constant and never ending.

Silence is my enemy.

I was just on the phone in a quiet room and my non-phone ear was distracting me from the conversation. It usually doesn't bother me- humidifier fan at night plus my being totally used to it helps. Funny how reading this thread makes me more aware of it!

My right ear- I suction cupped it on a brick sidewalk in a scrap about 25 years ago- rings worse and crackles/craps out when faced with loud music/constant leaf-blower or vacuum (I have the world's loudest Dirt Devil. Evil) noise, worst in close quarters (my car stereo gets me if I rock it too hard, the dirt devil kills me in the bathroom).

Besides the sidewalk thing there's the years of loud stage volume rock. But yeah, constant ring, damaged upper-mids, otherwise okay.