A New Way to Buy Cds Without the Missus Knowing

robviti

Last night while I was at the supermarket buying some vittles, I decided to cash in a heap of pennies, nickels, and dimes using the automated Coinstar machine. Lo and behold, I discovered a new option. Instead of receiving a slip of paper to be cashed in at the register, I can get a slip of paper with a code on it that can be redeemed for credit at Amazon.com. What's more, when you choose this option, you don't have to pay the 8 cents on a dollar fee that Coinstar usually charges. You can use the credit to make a purchase now, or redeem it for future use.

It's the perfect crime, I tell ya! No credit card bill to explain to the wifey. Just make sure to go through the pockets of your pants for change before she does, unless you're still wearing them, of course. ^_^

here's a link for further info: amazon-coinstar

Last night while I was at the supermarket buying some vittles, I decided to cash in a heap of pennies, nickels, and dimes using the automated Coinstar machine. Lo and behold, I discovered a new option. Instead of receiving a slip of paper to be cashed in at the register, I can get a slip of paper with a code on it that can be redeemed for credit at Amazon.com. What's more, when you choose this option, you don't have to pay the 8 cents on a dollar fee that Coinstar usually charges. You can use the credit to make a purchase now, or redeem it for future use.

It's the perfect crime, I tell ya! No credit card bill to explain to the wifey. Just make sure to go through the pockets of your pants for change before she does, unless you're still wearing them, of course. ^_^

Hmm...I do have a lot of change I was going to coinstar and use as spending money instead of sticking it in the bank. :ph34r:

What's more, when you choose this option, you don't have to pay the 8 cents on a dollar fee that Coinstar usually charges. You can use the credit to make a purchase now, or redeem it for future use.

There's no fee for this? All your coin are belong to you?

In essence, Amazon pays the fee to Coinstar for you in exchange for the business.

ok, you solved the problem with the trace of payments.. BUT: how to do you bypass the gatekeeper when the postman arrives to deliver the packages how do you explain why you need to buy another storage array for the collection....

I would need your advice on that as it causes me more headaches :w

Cheers, Tjobbe

And for those without a lot of coins, you can stop at one of those do-it-yourself car washes to convert your bills to quarters on your way to the supermarket. ;-)

You can go here to find the nearest Coinstar machine:

http://www.coinstar.com/US/html/A-home

It even tells you if the particular machine works with Amazon.

This is very sweet

I thought they all gave out Amazon codes? Or just select machines? How do you determine if a machine near you gives out the codes?

I like the thought of getting rid of my spare change, but don't like the 8 percent fee that these machines usually charge, so the Amazon code is a sure attraction.

My method is to have all CD's mailed to my office (and charged to my personal credit card), listen to them there first, then bring them home at an appropriate time (in bags, pockets, etc) and slip them on the shelf. Works great, even for Mosaics (but something tells me my wife knows anyway).

I do something similar with LPs, just slip them into their appropriate filing system on the shelf and hide or recycle the boxes. Nobody's the wiser!

I thought they all gave out Amazon codes? Or just select machines? How do you determine if a machine near you gives out the codes?

Go to the web site, and click on the "eCertificate" link under your nearest machine.

Yeah, I finally figured it out, using the advanced search. None of the machines here locally do eCertificates. Apparently the nearest machine to me that does is in San Antonio, 150 miles away :(

For avoidance of spouse's ire, cash is best. I've used cash since 1971, when we got married.

Sometimes cash can't be used directly: mail order; internet purchases; and when you get a huge batch at once when there's a sale on or when you're in a different town and HAVE to examine the record shops. In those cases make the purchase by credit card, but have the card address registered to your office address, so no statements turn up at home. And that's where mail order deliveries turn up. Pay off the credit card by making a trip to the bank and paying cash. If you're too far from the bank to do that conveniently during lunch, give the cash to a colleague in exchange for a cheque made out to credit card firm and post colleague's cheque to credit card company. You MUST be able to trust your colleague not to give you a rubber cheque :D

Next problem is getting the stuff indoors. I used to shove them in the garage, which was just around the corner from the entrance to the flats where we used to live. When it was safe to do so, I'd bring them indoors and slip them into the shelves.

This system worked for me for over 30 years. Of course, my wife noticed the expansion of the collection but never had an angle to berate me because the cost never appeared in our finances and she only ever saw records coming in the house when I came back from holiday. Holidays are different, of course.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg