Iro Haarla - Northbound

jmjk

I find this album stunning. I'm probably on my 25th spin in the past few weeks, and I'm getting sucked in further with each drop of the laser. Lately, I'm having a difficult time absorbing the music on many of ECM's newer releases, but not so for Northbound. The arrangements are very elastic, but hold one's interest really well. Knowing that Haarla is Edward Vesala's widow makes the already poignant compositions damn near heartbreaking for me.

This one ignites a frozen fire, for sure...AND it doesn't drift off into ECM snooze land!

There’s a nice article, Q & A and recordings overview here”

http://www.pointofdeparture.org/PoD8/PoD8Northbound.html

Also a photo here:

http://www.pointofdeparture.org

I’ve been meaning to give Northbound a full listen. Vesala was the only ECM artist I would buy without hesitation. Most newer ECM releases get a frosty reception from me. Not a fan of the “sound.”

I have a terrific live broadcast of her band, very, very good music, warm, lyrical, lots of beauty and soul in it... Trygve Seim on saxes is great, and Jon Christensen is a masterful drummer (but that's no news I hope).

I am not sure - once again - if the coolish ECM production sound is good for this music, as it seems to warm to me... I should check this out, and that other one, "The Source", too (by Trygve Seim, see more info here: http://www.ecmrecords.com/Catalogue/ECM/1900/1966.php)

The record is in the same mood as many ECM release : aerial, slow, cool, clinic, and...IMO too long ! interesting music, 100 % profesionnal, top rank musicians.... but....nothing really new.

Yes, but that mood is exactly why I like much of what ECM releases...well, did release, actually. Some of the newer issues put me to sleep (Stanko----Lontano and Suspended Night), or bore me (Katche----Neighborhood). What sets this record apart, I feel, is that all the typical atmospheres are present, but the compositions and arrangements are very engaging and memorable. Maybe it's not new, as you say. But to me it's a lot better.

Ubu the King - -would LOVE a chance to listen to that broadcast you mention.

The record is in the same mood as many ECM release : aerial, slow, cool, clinic, and...IMO too long ! interesting music, 100 % profesionnal, top rank musicians.... but....nothing really new.

Yes, but that mood is exactly why I like much of what ECM releases...well, did release, actually. Some of the newer issues put me to sleep (Stanko----Lontano and Suspended Night), or bore me (Katche----Neighborhood). What sets this record apart, I feel, is that all the typical atmospheres are present, but the compositions and arrangements are very engaging and memorable. Maybe it's not new, as you say. But to me it's a lot better.

Ubu the King - -would LOVE a chance to listen to that broadcast you mention.

Another record you may like (not the same music, but the same mood) is Bobo Stenson's "Goodbye" on ECM too.

Goodbye is a good one, I think. Stenson has that ability to add small little idiosyncrasies or just a touch of irony to his elegiac playing. Or he just gets slighty out of the metre or plays his virtuoso runs totally unclean... stuff like that... was nice seeing him perform solo a few weeks ago. What he does is just a wee bit out of the ordinary and that's what makes it good, in my opinion.

Northbound is an excellent ECM release.I've been listening to it quite a lot recently. Iro's playing and compositions are really good. I don't care very much about her other cds but this one really stands out.

Saw her playing just about a year ago when her band played some Edward Vesala's compositions.

• 10 years later...
On 11/27/2006 at 0:02 PM, jmjk said:

I find this album stunning. I'm probably on my 25th spin in the past few weeks, and I'm getting sucked in further with each drop of the laser. Lately, I'm having a difficult time absorbing the music on many of ECM's newer releases, but not so for Northbound. The arrangements are very elastic, but hold one's interest really well. Knowing that Haarla is Edward Vesala's widow makes the already poignant compositions damn near heartbreaking for me.

This one ignites a frozen fire, for sure...AND it doesn't drift off into ECM snooze land!

I heard one track from this - "Avian Kingdom" - on Pandora.  Wow!  Reminded me of those great Vesala albums from the late 80s/early 90s.  Maybe I'll check out the entire album.

Guy

I read that Haarla had a lot more to do with the arranging of those Vesala albums than she received credit for. Can't think of the source off hand but will post it if I can find it. Her releases on TUM are also highly recommended

Edited by mjazzg