LCD vs Plasma

medjuck

Also,

Can someone explain, or share a link explaining resolution for me? I thought I understood resolution until I started talking to people about motion pictures.

1080p is overkill for a monitor under a certain dimension, from a certain distance at 20/20 vision, etc.

Thanks.

These do a pretty good job:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolutions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

Where there is serious room for improvement in modern displays is the dpi. Of course, addressing that would considerably increase the power demands of the monitor.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I gather, I won't really be able to appreciate 1080 on a 42" screen. Still, the more I read, the less I understand.

Isn't it a moot point by now? Aren't most new sets "full" 1080p resolution? When I bought mine (a 56" DLP) about 16 months ago, you could still buy 720p/1080i sets. Either way, I wouldn't sweat not having 1080p on a 42" set. You probably wouldn't notice it.

From what I gather, I won't really be able to appreciate 1080 on a 42" screen. Still, the more I read, the less I understand.

1080 on a 42" screen works out to about 50-60 ppi (about half the resolution of a high-end computer monitor). It has generally been observed that the human eye resolves differences in ppi up to about 300 ppi. So I would expect that you could see a difference - I certainly do on mine. But as always your best bet is to go to a good store that has the TVs set up properly and find out on your own. In NYC, I've found that the audiophile shops are the best places to go for comparing TVs (although naturally the bargains are elsewhere).

1080 on a 42" screen works out to about 50-60 ppi (about half the resolution of a high-end computer monitor). It has generally been observed that the human eye resolves differences in ppi up to about 300 ppi. So I would expect that you could see a difference - I certainly do on mine. But as always your best bet is to go to a good store that has the TVs set up properly and find out on your own. In NYC, I've found that the audiophile shops are the best places to go for comparing TVs (although naturally the bargains are elsewhere).

Those numbers may be correct but they don't take viewing distance into consideration. Most (all?) HDTV displays are of a fixed pixel design, so you'll have the same number of pixels on a 1080 display whether its a 20" computer monitor or a 60" plasma - so you'll have more ppi on a smaller device. But while you might read a computer monitor from 18" away, it's unlikely you'll watch your HDTV from that distance.

This might help... http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vie...calculator.html

Viewing distance is certainly part of it (as many Chuck Close, impressionist or divisionist paintings will demonstrate), but have you ever plugged your computer into an HD LCD TV and, say, tried to work in a spreadsheet? In my experience, it is painful, regardless of the viewing distance. Granted, I haven't tried this on the new set but I'm not optimistic.

Now with something like a spreadsheet you are realy concentrating on fine, static details, and I will admit that the extent to which one perceives this in a moving picture is questionable.