Horrible Pop Songs That Make Great Jazz Tunes

RDK

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Alone Again (Naturally)"

Gene Ammons kills on this on his album "Goodbye." Dewey Redman also covers this on 'Musics."

I beg to differ, Ray. No one, and nothing can redeem that steaming pile. (And yes, I have the Ammons CD)

Dan, I beg to differ with you. -_- I hated the tune until I heard Sarah Vaughan sing it - absolutely divine!

Gene Ammons kills on this on his album "Goodbye." Dewey Redman also covers this on 'Musics."

I beg to differ, Ray. No one, and nothing can redeem that steaming pile. (And yes, I have the Ammons CD)

Dan, I beg to differ with you. -_- I hated the tune until I heard Sarah Vaughan sing it - absolutely divine!

Well, mileage has been known to vary. :party:

Not horrible, Dan, but I've got a little pop ditty that you might enjoy on my upcoming BFT (others, though, might not think so highly of it). Actually, it's the one track I'd bet you'd easily identify. :w

Not horrible, Dan, but I've got a little pop ditty that you might enjoy on my upcoming BFT (others, though, might not think so highly of it). Actually, it's the one track I'd bet you'd easily identify. :w

Are you programming Gene Harris' version of "Ode to Billy Joe"? Then I'm in! :g

What's the definition of a "crappy" pop tune? Most of the songs listed here stike me as pretty decent songs. It's the records of them, the hit versions, that are annoying as hell. "Alone again..." is not at all a bad song, but Gilbert O'Sullivan's record of it pissed me off from Day One, and things haven't changed since.

OTOH, there's any number of insipid pop songs that have been made into great records. You think to youself, "man, what a great song", but when you try and do something with it other than cover it outright, there ain't nothing there.

What's the definition of a "crappy" pop tune? Most of the songs listed here stike me as pretty decent songs. It's the records of them, the hit versions, that are annoying as hell. "Alone again..." is not at all a bad song, but Gilbert O'Sullivan's record of it pissed me off from Day One, and things haven't changed since.

OTOH, there's any number of insipid pop songs that have been made into great records. You think to youself, "man, what a great song", but when you try and do something with it other than cover it outright, there ain't nothing there.

"She loves you yeah yeah yeah"

I can never decide if this is one of the best pop songs ever or one of the worst.

I think one of the least interesting pop songs has to be "Lollipops and roses". Harold Mabern does a superb version - a BURNING version - on his album "Fantasy". He also does great versions of the Sesame Street theme, and "You belong to me", another that doesn't seem to offer much, (though Jimmy McGriff did a decent version with David Newman and Rusty Bryant on board), as well as Earth Wind & Fire's "Fantasy" and Donnie Hathaway's "Harlem Dawn" and another Pop classic, "The sidewinder".

Oh yes, and try David Newman's version of "Goldfinger"! Or the Secret Agent Men's (featuring Dr Lonnie) version of the Alfred Hitchcock TV series theme.

And, incidentally, Hank Crawford's version of "Saving all my love for you" was pretty good. It doesn't come up to Braden's version, which is 100% classic.

MG