morgana king

alocispepraluger102

I have 3 or 4 of her albums but the one I like to play to friends who don't know her work just to get their reaction is Cuore di mama, it is so good. The tracks are,

cuore di mama,

medley: when the world was young/young and foolish,

corcovado,

try to remember,

meditation (meditacao),

lazy afternoon,

who can I turn to,

I'll follow you,

sometimes I feel like a motherless child,

I love paris,

and my favorite is track 5.

I've always loved that album. I've got to dig it out and give it a spin. I've never really thought of her as a jazz singer, just a fine singer. I don't think she's recorded in a long time. Is she still with us?

there is another fine one to try to dig out of my archives called morgana king.

it is much darker. you must hear her version of 'try to remember, which has the same texture as cuore de....'

A friend had a Morgana King album on Mainstream called "A taste of honey". Some of the tracks at least appear on "Cuore di mama", though I think maybe it's a compilation of her Mainstream LPs. I could never find "A taste of honey", which had something quite ethereal about it. Eventually, I bought a Reprise LP she made called "It's a quiet thing", which was quite a disapointment. Not that it wasn't good - it was, but it was ordinarily good.

MG

A friend had a Morgana King album on Mainstream called "A taste of honey". Some of the tracks at least appear on "Cuore di mama", though I think maybe it's a compilation of her Mainstream LPs. I could never find "A taste of honey", which had something quite ethereal about it. Eventually, I bought a Reprise LP she made called "It's a quiet thing", which was quite a disapointment. Not that it wasn't good - it was, but it was ordinarily good.

MG

at her best, she was indeed ethereal. ...so glad i have those old well worn vinyls.

I've got an LP from 1973 called 'New Beginnings' which was released one the Paramount label. Catalog number 6067. It has arrangements by Torrie Zito and Bob James. It features a large cast of top NYC studio players of the day. I don't think this has ever been released on CD but I'd say pick it up if you can. I don't have 'Taste of Honey' but as I recall it had a great cover photo. Love her voice.

I've got an LP from 1973 called 'New Beginnings' which was released one the Paramount label. Catalog number 6067. It has arrangements by Torrie Zito and Bob James. It features a large cast of top NYC studio players of the day. I don't think this has ever been released on CD but I'd say pick it up if you can. I don't have 'Taste of Honey' but as I recall it had a great cover photo. Love her voice.

a song for you and i am a leaf from new beginnings are very beautiful versions which evoke the earlier morgana.

MG

Oh, 'It's A Quiet Thing' is my all-time favorite: still gives me goosebumps.

MG

it's great to know others feel as i do.

MG

it's great to know others feel as i do.

Oh, and I remember now, my wife absolutely HATED the sound of her voice with furious passion. I'd have kept it but for that.

MG