Prestige boxes you'd like to see from Concord

Big Al

I've been on a serious Prestige 50's jones lately, having gotten the Miles Quintet box, and eagerly awaiting getting the Trane, Stitt, and future Trane & Miles boxes. Having that Stitt in there gives me hope that others like it may be in the works. If so, here's what I'm hoping for:

Complete Kenny Burrell Jams (All Day Long, All Night Long, etc)

Complete Jackie McLean

Red Garland Small Groups (All Morning Long, etc)

What say y'all?

I've been on a serious Prestige 50's jones lately, having gotten the Miles Quintet box, and eagerly awaiting getting the Trane, Stitt, and future Trane & Miles boxes. Having that Stitt in there gives me hope that others like it may be in the works. If so, here's what I'm hoping for:

Complete Kenny Burrell Jams (All Day Long, All Night Long, etc)

Complete Jackie McLean

Red Garland Small Groups (All Morning Long, etc)

What say y'all?

A nice box would collect all the material Gene Ammons recorded as a sole leader between his two prison stays - 1960-1962. A large chunk of it was recorded on the sly for the Chess brothers, but has since been reclaimed by Prestige/Fantasy. Some of it has never been issued on CD (that LP was only available for a very short time anyway - "Blue Groove" MPP2514).

There's no doubt that Jug was at his very best in this period.

The box might include:

BOSS TENOR

VELVET SOUL

ANGEL EYES

NICE N COOL

JUG

LATE HOUR SPECIAL

LIVE IN CHICAGO

UP TIGHT

BOSS SOUL

TWISTIN THE JUG

SOULFUL MOODS

BLUE GROOVE

PREACHIN'

BAD BOSSA NOVA

MG

Of course, what WON'T ever come out is the box I most want. The complete Freddie McCoy Prestige sessions, comprising

LONELY AVENUE

SPIDER MAN

PEAS N RICE

FUNK DROPS

BEANS N GREENS

SOUL YOGI

LISTEN HERE

McCoy has been most cavalierly treated. An important innovator, he made the first recordings of what later became known as Acid Jazz. But he played ballads so beautifully - he was a bit like his mentor Johnny "Hammond" Smith in that way.

MG

Of course, what WON'T ever come out is the box I most want. The complete Freddie McCoy Prestige sessions, comprising

LONELY AVENUE

SPIDER MAN

PEAS N RICE

FUNK DROPS

BEANS N GREENS

SOUL YOGI

LISTEN HERE

McCoy has been most cavalierly treated. An important innovator, he made the first recordings of what later became known as Acid Jazz. But he played ballads so beautifully - he was a bit like his mentor Johnny "Hammond" Smith in that way.

MG

I note allmusic gives most of his output a solid 2 stars...I don't know his work at all, best place to start?

Edited by Clunky

I was playing the Gene Ammons Jam Sessions the other day, all vinyl. I thought at the time they would be nice collected together. Can't see that there would be a lot of enthusiasm for the set though. Great music imo.

I've got very little Jug other than the Black Orchid disc with Groove Holmes, Jug and Dodo 2LP is on its way to me, thought I really bought it for Dodo, I have to add...

LONELY AVENUE

SPIDER MAN

PEAS N RICE

FUNK DROPS

BEANS N GREENS

SOUL YOGI

LISTEN HERE

MG

I note allmusic gives most of his output a solid 2 stars...I don't know his work at all, best place to start?

Anywhere you can. None of his albums are available anywhere in the world, as far as I know. Get whatever turns up second hand that you can afford and see what you think.

"Spider man" is a straight quartet session all the way through - not like any of the others, most of which had a mixture of larger group and quartet tracks.

Just saw that ebay has a couple at $20 (bidding not finished yet). There's also a "Best of compilation" at 8.90 GBpounds. Don't know what's on the comp, but it might not be a bad start.

http://music.search.ebay.com/freddie-mccoy...itsearchZSearch

MG

while the first Trane set was very well done, the RE-boxing of this shit is pretty... tedious. Jug could stand to be untangled, or maybe a Jackie sessions but boxing just to box... like the Sonny Stitt, like the Miles-- ugh.

The Magic One, however-- comes through w/INSPIRATION.

two stars for Freddie McCoy-- close listening... "right." NOTE-- All Music assholes didn't actually review a single goddamn side! "Steve Huey" just did quick bio so where the hell do the stars-- one even gets a "three" ***, woo woo-- come from? I hate those motherfuckers, I wish ya'll didn't even LOOK, just ask US... but habits seem hard to break.

for what good it might do, a letter (e-mail) campaign to Concord for Freddie might be in order...

couldn't hurt, tho' the window for 'acid jazz' as such has been closed for a while.

c

Surprised to find ANYONE who knows Freddie's work, Clem. A bit off your track, or am I reading you wrong?

MG

I've actually got all the Freddie McCoy lps on Prestige, so I'm not clamoring for that.

I'd be down with an Ammons box of some sort. And a McLean box; I really like his Prestige work and would like to see it get some. . . prestige.

I'd like to see a box set of all the Cannonball Adderley produced Riversides.

yes yes yes! i've thought about that set a lot, too...

What would that comprise?

One Clay/Newman, one Don Wilkerson, one Roosevelt Wardell; and one by someone called Morgan, which I've never seen or heard - is that it?

MG

yes yes yes! i've thought about that set a lot, too...

What would that comprise?

One Clay/Newman, one Don Wilkerson, one Roosevelt Wardell; and one by someone called Morgan, which I've never seen or heard - is that it?

MG

my list from memory (so certainly missing something, maybe getting something wrong) would have included,

Clay/Newman

James Clay Double Dose of Soul

Don Wilkerson

Clifford Jordan Spellbound

Lenny McBrowne and the Four Souls - Eastern Lights (with Don Sleet)

Paul Serrano Blues Holiday (with Bunky Green)

Well, let's include Jazzland:

CLAY JAMES The sound of the Wide Open Space Apr 26,1960 Riverside 327

GORDON DEXTER The Resurgence of Dexter Oct 13,1960 Jazzland 929

JFK Quintet New Jazz Frontiers from Washington July 17 1961 Riverside 396

JOHNSON BUD The Four Brass Giants Aug 22 ,1960 Riverside 343

JONES SAM Down Home Aug 15,1962 Riverside 432

JORDAN CLIFFORD Spellbound Aug 10,1960 Riverside 340

MANGIONE CAP The jazz Brother Aug 29,1960 Riverside 335

MORGAN DICK At the Showboat May 04,1960 Riverside 1183

McBROWN LENNIE Eastern Lights Oct 13 ,1960 Riverside 346

SERRANO PAUL Blues Holiday Nov 8 ,1960 Riverside 359

WILKERSON DON The Texas Twister May 19 ,1960 Riverside 1186

Well, let's include Jazzland:

CLAY JAMES The sound of the Wide Open Space Apr 26,1960 Riverside 327

GORDON DEXTER The Resurgence of Dexter Oct 13,1960 Jazzland 929

JFK Quintet New Jazz Frontiers from Washington July 17 1961 Riverside 396

JOHNSON BUD The Four Brass Giants Aug 22 ,1960 Riverside 343

JONES SAM Down Home Aug 15,1962 Riverside 432

JORDAN CLIFFORD Spellbound Aug 10,1960 Riverside 340

MANGIONE CAP The jazz Brother Aug 29,1960 Riverside 335

MORGAN DICK At the Showboat May 04,1960 Riverside 1183

McBROWN LENNIE Eastern Lights Oct 13 ,1960 Riverside 346

SERRANO PAUL Blues Holiday Nov 8 ,1960 Riverside 359

WILKERSON DON The Texas Twister May 19 ,1960 Riverside 1186

I don't remember the Serrano as a Cannonball job, but I don't have it any more.

I also don't have the Roosevelt Wardell any more - but I DO remember that as a Cannonball job.

Am I going nuts in my old age?

Oh, and what about the Joe Alexander?

MG

i always enjoyed soul/organ but with limited $$$ pursued other things. when i lived in Austin, there were pals of mine heavy into Freddie Roach, Don Wilkerson, Johnny "Hammond" Smith, Shirley, etc, so the appreciation is there.

I see you had the same problem as I did, but in reverse.

A 4-6 cd Specialty GOSPEL box, with astute selection & notes

I really think that Opal Nations has done a superb job (for a British pop singer) reissuing those Specialty Gospel CDs. I can't think of any, frankly, that someone interested in Gospel shouldn't want.

The big downsides with boxes are:

if they're a selection, then there's the taste of the selector and the potential for wasting your dough when you find you want to buy all of it afterwards; and

if they're not a selection, there's the cost - a well done set of single (or perhaps double, when relevant) CDs can be bought on the instalment plan - as I'm doing with Rev Gates: 6 out of 9 bought so far.

The only upsides are that:

they can collect stuff together that you might not find; and

overall, they're probably cheaper than the equivalent single CDs.

MG