Lester Bowie's Sho' Nuff Orchestra

ep1str0phy

I was frankly hoping that more people could fill us in on that, although I have heard about the MPS (haven't heard it, but heard of). I'm astounded that we've got all the history on the 'net and virtually no accounts of this group.

In his Bowie obituary on the Village Voice, Gary Giddins wrote that "perhaps the symbolic moment of transition between the Art Ensemble Lester and the Brass Fantasy Lester took place in February 1979 at Symphony Space, when he conducted the 59-piece Sho' Nuff Orchestra, with a cast that amazed then and seems dreamlike now; the reed section alone included Roscoe Mitchell, Henry Threadgill, Anthony Braxton, Julius Hemphill, Oliver Lake, David Murray, Arthur Blythe, John Stubblefield, Frank Lowe, Frank Wright, and Charles Tyler." He was there, it seems.

After a Brass Fantasy concert in Florence (in 1992) I asked Lester about the Sho' Nuff thing. I can't remember all what he said, but it looks like they shared the stage with the Sun Ra Arkestra and a Cecil Taylor large ensemble.

I think that there's a photo of the band on the back cover of Lester's All the Magic LP on ECM.

That's all I know.

luca

Edited by Eloe Omoe

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...