Always Magic In the Air

I recently read this fine book by Ken Emerson who also wrote one about Stephen Foster. His long rational in the intro for using "Brill Bldg." in the subtitle even tho' he knows much of the action was in another bldg down and across Broadway (1650?) is the funniest bit of convolution since Norman Davies compendium of librarians cataloging issues re England/Britain/UK (yes, I am the King of Attenuated analogies). In any case I thought it was well done and well worth reading even if a little short on musical analysis. He concentrates on seven songwriting teams Leiber/Stoller; Bacherach/David; Mann & Weil; Sedaka/Greenfield; King & Goffin; Pomus & Shauman; and Baryy/Greenwich. Very good on the business and personal side of the music biz in NYC in this period. Would liked to have had Bert Burns & Jerry Ragavoy included, even if they don't quite fit the pattern... Lots of session anecdotes for those of you who like that kind of stuff. Lots about Donny Kirshner, love him or hate him. Some wise guy stuff too, no surprise. Still room for real close musical analysis of the writing AND arranging.