Favorite movies?

I should have mentioned Jean Vigo's 'L'Atalante' much earlier. One of the best film ever. Pure visual poetry.

Vigo died just after completing the film in 1934.

Michel Simon, Dita Parlo and Jean Daste's superb acting and the haunting music by Maurice Jaubert add to perfection.

HELLYEAH!

Truly one of the greatest films ever made! Vigo ranks very high with me, and this film really blew me! It's so modern, by the way. If not for the bad quality of copies you usually see, and some minor details, the whole camera/perspective/view thing could be from now.

ubu

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have seen "Fellini: Casanova" yesterday. Very amusing, great scenes, some hilarious moments, some typical (and fucking stupid) mediterranean machismo, a little bit of tragedy, great Donald Sutherland, and many funny 18th century clichés...

And near the beginning, when he (Casanova-Sutherland) comes back to Venice, over that plastic sea, that's a great moment! No need to disguise that all we see as spectators is theatre...

ubu

Anybody seen "Lost In Translation"?  I'm going to check it out tonight.

It's great. On another note, I rented 'READ MY LIPS' tonight after someone kept bugging me about it for months. Better than I expected and it gets better as it goes along. I also finally got around to seeing 'BREATHLESS' last week. Wow.....

Edited by Brandon Burke

• 6 years later...

Funny reading this old thread... having seen some of Oshima's films made me remember Imamura, and a search brought up this thread.

I must have seen a thousand more great films (many of them classics) in the meantime, and it's a bit embarassing to see some of the "favourites" I posted here, years ago!

Seeing movies like those with someone seeing them for the first time is interesting....Mary Astor seems quite hammy, almost as if the role was too demanding of her talents.(I think she is much better in light roles in films such as The Palm Beach Story, or Across the Pacific)

You know, I think Mary Astor ruins this movie myself. For the reason you mention, and also, she just isn't attractive enough to fit the part in my opinion.

I disagree. Having finally read the book a few years ago, I can see what you mean. She's at least 10 years older than the Brigid in the book. But that makes her character more interesting. In the movie she's a woman in her 30's who was always used to manipulating men through her looks, but now she's getting to the point in life where she realizes she won't be able to do that much longer. It makes her rather desperate. She perhaps sees Spade as her "last chance" in a way. This adds a whole new dimension and richness to a character who, frankly, in the book was just a cardboard cutout femme fatale.