Legends of Acid Jazz

I am sorry, but "Brothers 4" just isn't as grabbing as many other similar discs I have! As I said, I enjoy greatly the Scotts (no first name mentioned, I'll mix them up again anway... ah, shucks, it's Shirley, of course!!!), then I like the Jenning/McDuff assedjazz a lot, also McDuff's "Soulful Drums" twofer. Houston Person's "Trust in Me" and "Broken Windows" twofers I both don't like that much (they're ok, but not more, I think). Red Holloway's assedjazz has a few good spots (but I like him much better on "Soulful Drums"). The other Stitts I still need to explore (Stitt/Patterson Vol. 2 & the Boss Men, Soul People with Booger, Goin' Down Slow, Assedjazz).

Anyway, you might need to know that I also play lots of free/avant stuff, bop/hardbop, older stuff etc, and that this greazy stuff is far from my favourite kind of jazz - it's for me just one of many, many things I enjoy, and I only rather recently got into it (by way, MG might be interested to hear that, of some Blue Notes, mainly all those Lou Donaldson's from the 60s, Mozambique, Understanding, etc).

Anyway, you might need to know that I also play lots of free/avant stuff, bop/hardbop, older stuff etc, and that this greazy stuff is far from my favourite kind of jazz - it's for me just one of many, many things I enjoy, and I only rather recently got into it (by way, MG might be interested to hear that, of some Blue Notes, mainly all those Lou Donaldson's from the 60s, Mozambique, Understanding, etc).

I have a theory that the people who love Soul Jazz got into it through a love of R&B and Soul.

MG

Not me... I got into it via - in chronological order: Bob Dylan - electric Miles / Abdullah Ibrahim - Miles/Monk/Trane/Mingus - 50s/60s jazz - bop (40s, Bird, Bud etc) / free jazz, avantgarde, free improv / "old" jazz (Duke, Basie, Lunceford, Hodges, Hawkins, Henderson etc.) (all at the same time, roughly, all still being explored now). It's rather this kind of jazz that makes me occasionally get something by Aretha or Otis Redding or Booker T.

But before getting into jazz at all (maybe around the time I got into my first electric Miles) I listened to lots of funk (Crusaders, Tower of Power, Larry Graham, Bootsy etc.) - so maybe in the end you're kind of right, but I took a few turns to arrive there... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Completely agree.

Dude, get the Trudy Pitts!!!!! That Legends of Acid Jazz Trudy Pitts/Pat Martino CD is really glorious. She's really killin' and I dig her vocals too. Bill Carney/Trudy Pitts/Pat Martino were a working unit and this is a nice documentation of what was going down at that time. Awesome. Trudy Pitts rules (and Pat ain't bad either. :D )

Funny, Pitts is the one I really don't get. I've got "These blues of mine" on LP and hardly ever play it. And when I do, I never feel that she's swinging. Only time I've heard her really swing is on Willis Jackson's LP "Star bag" - but Willis could make the brain dead swing.

MG

Trudy Pitts will be playing with Greg Osby at the Jazz Standard in NYC in January. Sounds interesting. Actually I think Osby is almost always interesting. I've never heard Pitts and I'm intrigued.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Cal Tjader - but I'd compile even groovier tracks.

210397.jpg

Here's a list (probably not complete):

George Benson

Willie Bobo

Buddy Greco

Quincy Jones

Les Mccann

Shirley Scott

Walter Wanderley

Wes Montgomery

Jimmy Smith

Cal Tjader

Astrud Gilberto

Lalo Schifrin

Roland Kirk

Many of those Talkin' Verve compilations do not select the really grooviest/greaziest tracks, IMO.

Edited by mikeweil

• 4 weeks later...

I listened to the Boogaloo Joe Jones and was somewhat underwhelmed. I was expecting something "greazier".

Guy

I bought one of his sides and have to agree... I was underwhelmed and never gave it another listen..

I agree but he more than makes up for it on his later (and perhaps last ever) LP The Sweetback. A strange LP in that it sounds even more like prestige than prestige, and comes from 1976 when soul jazz was the least hip thing out and prestige was doing disco funk.

Virgil is probably still around. Last I heard him was on Teddy Edwards' album "Midnight creeper" in 1997. So he didn't disappear in the '70s.

MG

There's a clip on YouTube of Virgil in a horn section with Lou Donaldson backing up Bernard Purdie at some Jazz Festival from the 1993...Everything I do Gonna Be Funky...check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcyx1vRXyg

Thanks for posting that clip SoulStream.

This is the album - now out of print.

BERNARD PURDIE

COOLIN' GROOVIN'

A NIGHT AT ON-AIR

LEXINGTON, LCD-1002(CD)

©(P)1993 LEXINGTON, INC., JAPAN

RECORDED JULY 26 thru 28, 1993

RELEASED NOVEMBER 20, 1993

CREDITS (recording data) :

LEXINGTON Presents JAZZ GROOVE SESSIONS

Recorded at ON-AIR, Tokyo, July 26 thru 28, 1993

Produced by Masao Hirakawa