Nichols - Trio

Cecil - Conquistador

Dolphy - Out to Lunch

Hill - Point of Departure

Rollins - Night at the VV

Rollins - Newk's Time

Dorham - Bohemia v.1

Picks submitted by Red

They're also overrated in his opinion...

MG

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Albert Ammons and Meade Lux - The First Day

Monk - Genius vol.1

Bud - Time Waits

Nichols - Trio

Cecil - Conquistador

Dolphy - Out to Lunch

Hill - Point of Departure

Rollins - Night at the VV

Rollins - Newk's Time

Dorham - Bohemia v.1

Picks submitted by Red

They're also overrated in his opinion...

MG

We'll need Red to sort that out. I think he meant to post them in this thread, accidentally posted them in the other. So unless we hear otherwise from Red, they stand as his 10 BN DID's.

I must admit I'm enjoying reading all your top ten lists -- we interact daily but this gives a little more insight into all of you.

Guy

:ph34r:

just make sure you mentally add the Herbie Nichols and Dameron/Navarro sets to my 10 - otherwise you might be unaware of an important part of my personality :)

I must say, that's a really cool part of your personality.

Ok Felser take two

Kenny Burrell-Midnight Blue

Kenny Burrell-Blue Lights Vol 1&2

Horace Silver-Blowin' The Blues Away

Horace Silver-Finger Poppin'

Horace Silver-Doin' The Thing At the Village Gate

Lee Morgan-Search For The New Land

Lee Morgan-The Gigolo

Art Blakey-Free For All

Art Blakey-Night In Tunisia

Jimmy Smith-Back At The Chicken Shack

Be mighty interesting to see how many of these "Desert Island" titles are also mentioned in the "overrated" thread.

Seriously.

"Fuchsia Swing Song" is one, "Point of Departure" is another. Bet there's at least three or four more, including a few that will likely get multiple votes in this "Desert Island" thread.

Can we safely assume that any title mentioned 5 or more times in this thread ISN'T overrated??

And where's Sangry's post in this thread?? Would love to see that one. :wub: (Seriously. :g )

Edited by Rooster_Ties

And where's Sangry's post in this thread?? Would love to see that one. :wub: (Seriously. :g )

Sorry, I ain't making one. Couldn't. Don't want to either, but couldn't even if I did.

Now, if the time comes when I really have to be exiled to adesert islan, we'll talk. :g

But right now, I'm into jettisoning bullshit and expanding beauty, so this kind of list is not relevant to my current lifestyle. ;)

Sorry.

Sorry, I ain't making one. Couldn't. Don't want to either, but couldn't even if I did.

Now, if the time comes when I really have to be exiled to adesert islan, we'll talk. :g

But right now, I'm into jettisoning bullshit and expanding beauty, so this kind of list is not relevant to my current lifestyle. ;)

Sorry.

You don't get off the hook that easily. :eye:

Pick three -- just three titles you KNOW you couldn't live without. That leaves you with 7 more that you DON'T have to pick until you are actually faced with the question in real life. That leaves you with all the wiggle-room in the world, so you don't have to leave anything out.

(I'm not even asking you to meet us half-way, just 30%.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Now, if the time comes when I really have to be exiled to adesert islan, we'll talk.

But right now, I'm into jettisoning bullshit and expanding beauty, so this kind of list is not relevant to my current lifestyle.

A radical lifestyle goal like that may get you exiled to a spiritual desert island in this day and age. Keep the faith.

Sorry.

Pick three -- just three titles you KNOW you couldn't live without. That leaves you with 7 more that you DON'T have to pick until you are actually faced with the question in real life. That leaves you with all the wiggle-room in the world, so you don't have to leave anything out.

I say this with all love -

No. ;)

Sorry.

I say this with all love -

No. ;)

Not even ONE??? (Just one???)

A radical lifestyle goal like that may get you exiled to a spiritual desert island in this day and age.

Oh well! ;):g

See, on my desert island, I can have everything that matters to me.

Y'all just gonna have 10 things. Just 10.

I rest my case. :g:g:g

Come on, this is just FUN, for goodness sake!

MG

In no particular order:

Art Blakey - Free For All

Horace Silver - The Cape Verdean Blues

Andrew Hill - Point of Departure

Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land

Hank Mobley - Soul Station

Larry Young - Unity

Bobby Hutcherson - Components

Freddie Hubbard - Ready for Freddie

McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy

Joe Henderson - Inner Urge

Runner ups include Out to Lunch (Dolphy), Whistle Stop (Dorham) and A Night at the Village Vanguard (Rollins).

A radical lifestyle goal like that may get you exiled to a spiritual desert island in this day and age.

Oh well! ;):g

See, on my desert island, I can have everything that matters to me.

Y'all just gonna have 10 things. Just 10.

I rest my case. :g:g:g

Come on, this is just FUN, for goodness sake!

MG

Exactly. And more than 10 is that much more fun than just 10. ;)

Can we safely assume that any title mentioned 5 or more times in this thread ISN'T overrated??

Guess that likely depends on who's doing the rating, which is most of the point.

Or does the "wrong" title getting multiple votes in the Desert Island game -- just PROVE how overrated a title is.

(well, to SOME people, anyway :rolleyes: ).

"depends on who's doing the rating" -- what does THAT mean?? :blink:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Guess that likely depends on who's doing the rating, which is most of the point.

Or does the "wrong" title getting multiple votes in the Desert Island game -- just PROVE how overrated a title is.

(well, to SOME people, anyway :rolleyes: ).

Simple. It means that if the people who are doing the ratings are the overraters, then that is evidence (although not proof) that the ratings might include some overrating. On the other hand, if the ratings are being done by the supreme hip who NEVER overrate anything, then that is aboslute 100% proof to the contrary. :P

Well, say that 'The Real McCoy' were to show up here five times, which could understandably happen. It's a real nice album. Now say someone were to come on here and say that 'The Real McCoy' is the greatest album that's ever been released. That would certainly overrate the case for it, even if it, very possibly deservedly, were picked on 5-6 lists here.

Simple. It means that if the people who are doing the ratings are the overraters, then that is evidence (although not proof) that the ratings might include some overrating. On the other hand, if the ratings are being done by the supreme hip who NEVER overrate anything, then that is aboslute 100% proof to the contrary. :P

My point exactly. :g

Did anybody vote for the Eminent J.J. Johnson? (I would pick volume 1)

Very narrowly missed the cut for me, along with Minor Move... and Leapin' and Lopin'... and Horace Scope... and... ^_^

RT, I think you're trying (way) too hard to find "truths" in all of this. Seriously. ;)