BFT 43 Sign-Up Thread

RDK

Don't mean to jump the gun since BFT 42 hasn't yet wrapped, but with the holidays fast approaching I thought it best to get the sign-ups started at least. Mail delivery may be slow this time of year and i suspect that many of us will be pressed for time.

Anyway, as hinted at before, this is an all-vinyl BFT, meaning that all tracks have been recently burned from my old LP collection. I originally intended to include only tracks that have never made it to CD before, but that turned out to be a more difficult endeavor than I first thought - you'd be surprised at just how many albums have been released over the last 20+ years on CD, at least somewhere and if only briefly. Nevertheless, most of the tracks aren't yet available digitally, a handful have been released but the CDs are relatively rare, and a few others are rather common but I wanted to include them anyway - and (with one notable exception) vinyl was the only way that I owned it.

So shoot me an e-mail or PM me with your info and I'll get these discs ready to ship out.

PLEASE SEE MY POST DOWN BELOW....

Edited by RDK

One more thing. Given how close we are to X-mas and New Year's, should we jump into this asap (hopefully before the holiday week hits) or should we delay the actual start of the test until after the first of the year? I can send the discs anytime, but we don't have to comment on them until after New Year's. On the other hand, perhaps everyone will have more time (time off?) in the week between Christmas and New Year's to listen and comment. And suggestions?

One more thing. Given how close we are to X-mas and New Year's, should we jump into this asap (hopefully before the holiday week hits) or should we delay the actual start of the test until after the first of the year? I can send the discs anytime, but we don't have to comment on them until after New Year's. On the other hand, perhaps everyone will have more time (time off?) in the week between Christmas and New Year's to listen and comment. And suggestions?

It's your call. I'm ready to play now, but will go along with whatever the majority decides.

Here's who's signed up so far...

Dan Gould

Stereojack

Bright Moments

Tjobbe

Mikeweil

Magnificant Goldberg

Dutchmanx

Durium

Martyjazz

Mr. Bassman

Stefan Wood

Dmitry

King Ubu

Jim R.

JSngry

Sidewinder

If I've missed you, please let me know asap. Anyone else who'd like to participate please pm me your address.

Edited by RDK

Updated with additions. And there's still time to sign up since I stupidly copied a second batch of disc #2 instead of a first batch of #1. So I have plenty of copies... :crazy:

First discs should go out tomorrow to European participants... if i can brave the holiday crowds and get to the post office for stamps.

Okay, following Tooter's suggestion, I've just uploaded an mp3 version (but sounds nice!) of BFT 43. The tracks are available at the following links...

Disc A: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K9P57M7E

Disc B: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TCAJAR90

Downloading should be easy - you don't need an account - though you may need to wait an hour or so between d/l'ing the second file. The mp3 files are zipped, so you'll need to unzip them, but you should all have the ability to do that already. This was surprisingly easy to do - I've never uploaded a file like this before. I don't expect any problems downloading them, but please give feedback on any difficulties you might have.

No CDRs have been sent out yet. My wife was about to run the first batch of discs (to European participants) off to the post office when I called her to wait. I figured I'd give this a try instead since it would be much faster and cheaper.

I do have discs already burned that I can send out as needed to anyone who is unable to download these files and/or can't play mp3 files, but this method should really improve BFT service, especially for any overseas participants. If I had more time I'd post these as uncompressed FLAC files, but for now they're mp3 only.

Please let me know if this is acceptable. I'm eager to hear if it works, what problems we might possibly face, and how we might improve this sort of BFT distribution in the future.

Okay, following Tooter's suggestion, I've just uploaded an mp3 version (but sounds nice!) of BFT 43. The tracks are available at the following links...

Disc A: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K9P57M7E

Disc B: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TCAJAR90

Downloading should be easy - you don't need an account - though you may need to wait an hour or so between d/l'ing the second file. The mp3 files are zipped, so you'll need to unzip them, but you should all have the ability to do that already. This was surprisingly easy to do - I've never uploaded a file like this before. I don't expect any problems downloading them, but please give feedback on any difficulties you might have.

No CDRs have been sent out yet. My wife was about to run the first batch of discs (to European participants) off to the post office when I called her to wait. I figured I'd give this a try instead since it would be much faster and cheaper.

I do have discs already burned that I can send out as needed to anyone who is unable to download these files and/or can't play mp3 files, but this method should really improve BFT service, especially for any overseas participants. If I had more time I'd post these as uncompressed FLAC files, but for now they're mp3 only.

Please let me know if this is acceptable. I'm eager to hear if it works, what problems we might possibly face, and how we might improve this sort of BFT distribution in the future.

I'll give it a try after dinner. I can burn them to a CD afterwards in some format that will allow me to play them on my CD walkman, can't I? Will each take up about one CD?

MG

I didn't have to wait between downloads, Ray. So long as you encoded the MP3s at a decent bitrate, I think we should be good for anyone who wants to do distribution in this manner.

First download worked fine Ray. Now going for #B. Thanks.

MG

PS takes about half an hour per download. I think I have thinband.

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Thanks, Ray - I've downloaded both with no problems and played a little bit to make sure they're okay. Sounds good. It's good to hear that you are sold on the notion. FLAC would take about four times as long I have roughly worked out - too long?

The reason I asked is because I do not intend to compile again and would not feel right just receiving discs. I know it is felt in some quarters that just to participate is enough and that's fine too I guess.

Would it not be better for any download links to be sent in emails or PM's rather than put in posts though?Presumably posted links can be used by anyone, even non-members just looking. Like that you could keep track of participants too. Some sites have a limit on the number of times files can be downloaded I think.

Rodney