Sly & the Family Stone upcoming catalog upgrade

Big Al

Saw this at the Hoffman board:

SLY & THE FAMILY STONE – Legacy upgrades the catalog! (Epic/Legacy)

* In 1967, this interracial, mixed-gender combo harnessed all the disparate social and musical trends of the era and burst on the scene with a debut album that completely shook up the musical landscape with its fusion of soul, rock, R&B, psychedelia, and an emerging genre, soon to be dubbed “funk.” The sound was powerful and joyous, delivering everything one hoped to find in music -- the thrill of the new, a galvanizing groove, and lyrics that actually said something. This thrilling combination saw Sly permanently perched at the top of the album and single charts of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s, and quickly established his legacy as one of the most innovative artists in music history. 2007 will mark 40 years from the band’s first release, and Legacy is celebrating with a long-awaited upgrade of the Sly & the Family Stone catalog. Each of the seven studio albums will be available in limited-edition, lavish digipaks. Each title will feature restored and expanded packaging, including rare photos, memorabilia, and new liner notes by a diverse group of writers and artists. A bounty of bonus tracks -- many of them previously unreleased -- will be spread across all seven titles.

A Whole New Thing

Dance to the Music

Life

Stand!

There’s a Riot Going On

Fresh

Small Talk

I'll believe it when I see it, though. Haven't we been promised something like this before? And is it really such a good idea to clean up "Riot?" I always thought part of its charm was its awful sound. With any luck, Sony'll leave this one virtually untouched but give us a nice booklet with scads of details to go with it.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this at the Hoffman board:

SLY & THE FAMILY STONE – Legacy upgrades the catalog! (Epic/Legacy)

* In 1967, this interracial, mixed-gender combo harnessed all the disparate social and musical trends of the era and burst on the scene with a debut album that completely shook up the musical landscape with its fusion of soul, rock, R&B, psychedelia, and an emerging genre, soon to be dubbed “funk.” The sound was powerful and joyous, delivering everything one hoped to find in music -- the thrill of the new, a galvanizing groove, and lyrics that actually said something. This thrilling combination saw Sly permanently perched at the top of the album and single charts of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s, and quickly established his legacy as one of the most innovative artists in music history. 2007 will mark 40 years from the band’s first release, and Legacy is celebrating with a long-awaited upgrade of the Sly & the Family Stone catalog. Each of the seven studio albums will be available in limited-edition, lavish digipaks. Each title will feature restored and expanded packaging, including rare photos, memorabilia, and new liner notes by a diverse group of writers and artists. A bounty of bonus tracks -- many of them previously unreleased -- will be spread across all seven titles.

A Whole New Thing

Dance to the Music

Life

Stand!

There’s a Riot Going On

Fresh

Small Talk

I'll believe it when I see it, though. Haven't we been promised something like this before? And is it really such a good idea to clean up "Riot?" I always thought part of its charm was its awful sound. With any luck, Sony'll leave this one virtually untouched but give us a nice booklet with scads of details to go with it.

This is great news, especially in the case of 'Stand!". The first three came out in CD much later in the game, with much better CD sound than the last four. I agree with Big Al on 'Riot' - it somehow wouldn't feel right to hear that one with good sound, and I'm not sure how close I want to get to that album anyways. It seems like a better idea to appreciate it from a safe distance.

I've only got "Stand!" and "Riot", and I love em both. Are any of these other ones essential?

What's wrong w/the sound on Riot?!

Riot and Fresh are by far Sly's two best albums, otherwise (mostly) a singles band (mostly), & after Fresh, a sad, precipituous descent.

The other essential Sly is his appearance on the Mike Doulgas show w/The Champ & some ofay congressman from Ohio-- brilliant! I searched Youtube for this recently but it didnt' turn up; ya'll seen?

thankufortalkintomeafrica,

c

slyandmike.jpg

Riot and Fresh are by far Sly's two best albums, otherwise (mostly) a singles band (mostly), & after Fresh, a sad, precipituous descent.

Agreed. 'Stand' is the best album, but is basically made up of singles plus a long filler instrumental. All the ones up to Fresh are enjoyable, but this is a group where you can start with the 2CD Essential collection (amazing remastering) and really get the point of everything up through 'Stand' (plus a couple of classic single sides that aren't on any of the albums). 'Riot' needs to stand by itself. Each person needs to decide what they think of it, but it should be heard. 'Fresh' is good, but to me not absolutely essential. Nothing after that should be touched with a 10 foot pole, regardless of what the marketing on Rhino Handmade says.

I've only got "Stand!" and "Riot", and I love em both. Are any of these other ones essential?

What's wrong w/the sound on Riot?!

The other essential Sly is his appearance on the Mike Doulgas show w/The Champ & some ofay congressman from Ohio-- brilliant! I searched Youtube for this recently but it didnt' turn up; ya'll seen?

thankufortalkintomeafrica,

c

slyandmike.jpg

I saw that show. Both when it first aired and sometime in the past couple of years I saw a rerun on some

cable station. Great TV. Live and adlib! Ali really ripped into both Sly and Mike Douglas and really came off badly..

Edited by Harold_Z

The reason why RIOT had such a weird sound in the first place was that Sly was in the middle of one of the wierdest rides imaginable. The whole black/white thing was resulting in him getting leaned on by "certain parties", death threats, shakedowns, etc. Paranoia was high, and so was the coke use. So sly was carrying the tapes around with him, and was using them as "leverage" to get both coke, pussy, and safety. He was letting all kind of people lay down vocal tracks in exchange for whatever was needed at the moment. That's why there's so much tape hiss and degrdation of the final vocals. There's been literally hundred of passes made before the final vocals got laid down.

This is all from an article in some British R&B article whose name I don't remember. Would've been ca. 1992-94. The source was either Larry Graham or Freddie Stone. Best article I've ever read about Sly, bar none, and I was a total dumbass not to buy it.

Edited by JSngry

I am happy to hear they are remastering "Riot." My LP copy sounds much better than the CD issue that is presently available.

Yeah, the CD of "Riot" sucks. There's such a thing as "lo-fi," and then there's crappy 80s remastering. This has both, and it sounds awful. If this comes to pass, I will welcome it with open arms.

I've got those early albums on LP, and although the notion of "singles band" is probably accurate for the big picture type thing, there's enough little things here and there in the albums to merit consideration for the more, uh... diligent listener/fan.

But I ask this now -has there ever been anything else like "In Time" off of Fresh until recently, when drum programmers have finally learned how to make the shit snap, crackle, pop, and stutter like it's supposed to? That cut still trips me out like few others.

Andy Newmark, y'all!

Riot on vinyl (w/lyric sheet) is one of most prized possessions. And that "alternate-timeline flag cover," as BruceH puts it, is easily my favorite album art ever.

Just because...

Is that the one where the front cover is nothing but an American flag?

With sunburst (instead of five-point) stars, yes.

Agreed. 'Stand' is the best album, but is basically made up of singles plus a long filler instrumental. All the ones up to Fresh are enjoyable, but this is a group where you can start with the 2CD Essential collection (amazing remastering) and really get the point of everything up through 'Stand' (plus a couple of classic single sides that aren't on any of the albums). 'Riot' needs to stand by itself. Each person needs to decide what they think of it, but it should be heard. 'Fresh' is good, but to me not absolutely essential. Nothing after that should be touched with a 10 foot pole, regardless of what the marketing on Rhino Handmade says.

I would agree completely except for one thing: Back On the Right Track, from 1979, has its moments. "Same Thing" is a personal favorite, for one. Sure, the album is not a Stone classic, so to speak, but any Sly fan should have it.

I am happy to hear they are remastering "Riot." My LP copy sounds much better than the CD issue that is presently available.

Yeah, the CD of "Riot" sucks. There's such a thing as "lo-fi," and then there's crappy 80s remastering. This has both, and it sounds awful. If this comes to pass, I will welcome it with open arms.

I bought my copy of Riot in Japan, its a Japanese edition (ESCA 7632) and i like ths sound, anyway i don't know whether its the same remastering you mention or another one. I'll second everything i read on this thread. i'm not a big fan of the two first albums. Riot is a fantastic one, the one to have. And after, Stand, an Fresh.

i'm not a big fan of the two first albums. Riot is a fantastic one, the one to have. And after, Stand, an Fresh.

I'm gonna put a few words in here about their second album - "Dance to the Music". A little less social significance, a whole lot more party. I suspect some of you guys may not have heard these records as they came out - this one blew me away when I first heard it, and it's still a favorite. A lot of people think highly of "Riot" - I never dug it, and am happy to stick with "Stand" and the singles which came right after it as Sly's finest work- to my ears, anyway.

i'm not a big fan of the two first albums. Riot is a fantastic one, the one to have. And after, Stand, an Fresh.

I'm gonna put a few words in here about their second album - "Dance to the Music". A little less social significance, a whole lot more party. I suspect some of you guys may not have heard these records as they came out - this one blew me away when I first heard it, and it's still a favorite. A lot of people think highly of "Riot" - I never dug it, and am happy to stick with "Stand" and the singles which came right after it as Sly's finest work- to my ears, anyway.

I also feel that all of their absolute gretest work was the pre-'Riot' singles. 'Riot' is a devastating personal/political statement of despair, but I've never been totally sold on it musically (or as a life thesis). "Dance To The Music" was also a huge political statement, but not so much for the lyrics as for who was singing them. Men and women, black and white, each expressing their uniqueness yet come together for a common purpose. The one statement of the times in the lyrics comes when Cynthia Robinson cries out "All the squares go home!", a statement much more significant in early 1968 than today.