Sly & the Family Stone upcoming catalog upgrade

Big Al

I got the same notice. They're bailing on the deal.

Me too. I'm going to go to Better Business Bureay if they don't do something good. I'm willing to pay the $39.99, but not willing to be just jerked around and shut out.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the same notice. They're bailing on the deal.

If they don't care about pissing off a lot of customers, they'll rely on the legal fine-print of their "Conditions of Use":

Order Acceptance/Confirmation

Your receipt of an electronic or other form of order confirmation does not signify our acceptance of your order, nor does it constitute confirmation of our offer to sell. The Best Buy Web site reserves the right at any time after receipt of your order to accept or decline your order for any reason.

Order Limitations

We reserve the right to reject any order you place with us, and/or or to limit quantities on any order, without giving any reason. If we reject your order, we will generally attempt to notify you using the e-mail address you gave us when you placed the order.

Order Limitations/Limited Quantities

Best Buy may, at its own discretion, limit or cancel quantities purchased per person, per household or per order. Best Buy also reserves the right to reject any order you place with us. These restrictions may include orders placed by the same Best Buy Web site account, the same credit card, and orders that use the same billing and/or shipping address. In the event we make a change to an order, we will attempt to notify you by contacting the e-mail and/or billing address provided at the time the order was made. Best Buy reserves the right to limit or prohibit sales to dealers.

Canceling these orders is bad business, esp. for a big retailer like Best Buy for whom the lost profits on this presumed pricing error are inconsequential.

I'd encourage not only those whose orders have been cancelled, but everyone else who knows about this, to call or email Best Buy and express their opinion 'cause There's A Riot Goin' On!

Edited by jasonguthartz

On hold for customer representation, but the first one said that it was cancelled becuase it was already sold out, even though it was a pre-order...

Transferred to another rep who was clueless and said that she had to transfer me to someone else...

Another rep - needs a minute to see why it was canceled... on hold...

"One of our third party vendors canceled this order. They might not have it in stock. Our fulfillment partner cancelled the order. The $10.81 will be available on April 15. She will try to re-place the order... I'm so sorry, you paid 9.99 for this"... phone starts having problems, beep beep .. fr a minute..

automated "good bye" and disconnected!!!

Well, whaddaya know!

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME.

The best Buy Rep told me they were sold out.

When I argued that they had taken my order and had stock in then-he replied that they only update their website 1x per day.

I asked for a supervisor-they kept me on hold for 5 minutes then disconnected me.

Too good to be true-but of course no surprise as the price had to be a mistake.

Not worth $40 to me to place another order.

Betcha they have the $40 sets in stock :g

Any advice or just let it go?

They should just have sent an e-mail saying order cancelled since their price was an obvious mistake!

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME.

The best Buy Rep told me they were sold out.

When I argued that they had taken my order and had stock in then-he replied that they only update their website 1x per day.

I asked for a supervisor-they kept me on hold for 5 minutes then disconnected me.

Too good to be true-but of course no surprise as the price had to be a mistake.

Not worth $40 to me to place another order.

Betcha they have the $40 sets in stock :g

Any advice or just let it go?

They should just have sent an e-mail saying order cancelled since their price was an obvious mistake!

The site claims they don't have $40 sets in stock. I'd be willing to pay $40.

I also got the "fulfillment partner" runaround, and then they said that there might have been a problem since I left the middle initial out of my name for the CC info (which I did not, and their order history shows that I didn't).

No, I don't feel "entitled" to an offer that was obviously "too good to be true". But there's a right way to handle snafus like this and a wrong way. Remember the Miles Cellar Door Box price screwup @, where, CDU? They took the hit, & I've shown appreciation in return.

Bottom line - they're weasles. I live in an urban area & have plenty of brick & mortar options for Best Buy type merchandise, to say nothing of even more online options. We usually do a fair amount of our Christmas/birthday shopping at local Best Buys.

No more. Fuck'em.

Can anyone really blame them for not wanting to sell something at a price that was clearly very wrong in their system?? (75% off their "sale price" (and probably 85% off the list prince) on the "street-date" is obviously quite wrong.)

I like a bargain as much as the next guy, but really folks - would you expect a retailer to honor the wrong price printed on the price tag of every in-stock copy of a particular item in a store? No, as soon as the mistake was discovered -- every attempt would be made to correct the error on every instance of that product still in stock, that hadn't yet left the store.

Yeah, a couple people might have copies of the mispriced product in their hands (walking up to the front of the store), and if some of those customers put up a fight -- you might have to swallow hard and honor that price a few times. But at some point you would just have to say that you're not selling that item at the moment until the price is corrected in the system -- and if people don't like it, then they can wait until the next day when the product (with the correct price) is available again.

I can't blame Best Buy for doing whatever they have to (even to the point of saying they're "out of stock" suddenly), to avoid having to ship a couple thousand of these at a $20 or even $25 loss on every single one.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Text of email sent via the link in the order cancellation:

You cancelled this order for no good reason other than you made a pricing mistake. Your company then gave your CS phone reps some transparently bogus "excuses" to recite. I am not fooled, and neither is anybody else. As if the negative publicity concerning your bogus website isn't enough, now there's this.

I have never had such a matter handled so poorly. Retailers who make such mistakes either take the hit & honor the deal, or else offer some sort of consideration as a gesture of goodwill. Best Buy is certainly large enough & profitable enough to take the former route.

Our family routinely spends between $500-$1000 per year at Best Buy. No more.

We live in an area that presents plenty of options for your type merchandise. Effective immediately, Best Buy is no longer one of those options for our family. We WILL spread the word that Best Buy is a disreputable retailer with ZERO integrity.

Your company has shot itself in the foot with this one. Sooner or later, enough people will get fed up with your lack of concern for ethics and your company will be faced the consequences.

Until then, there will definitely be four fewer people walking through the doors of your stores.

No doubt pissing in the wind, and no doubt soon to be anwered by a bot. But they can't say that nobody noticed.

Can anyone really blame them for not wanting to sell something at a price that was clearly very wrong in their system?? (75% off their "sale price" (and probably 85% off the list prince) on the "street-date" is obviously quite wrong.)

I like a bargain as much as the next guy, but really folks - would you expect a retailer to honor the wrong price printed on the price tag of every in-stock copy of a particular item in a store? No, as soon as the mistake was discovered -- every attempt would be made to correct the error on every instance of that product still in stock, that hadn't yet left the store.

Yeah, a couple people might have copies of the mispriced product in their hands (walking up to the front of the store), and if some of those customers put up a fight -- you might have to swallow hard and honor that price a few times. But at some point you would just have to say that you're not selling that item at the moment until the price is corrected in the system -- and if people don't like it, then they can wait until the next day when the product (with the correct price) is available again.

I can't blame Best Buy for doing whatever they have to (even to the point of saying they're "out of stock" suddenly), to avoid having to ship a couple thousand of these at a $20 or even $25 loss on every single one.

Best Buy routinely sells music at a loss. It's what they do.

They could have offered a forthright explanation, and/or they could have offered the option of $9.99 store/order credit. they could have done any number of other things than what they did how they did it.

Of such matters is character defined.

Or maybe they should take a hint from United Airlines (whose error was far worse) and honor that particular price for whoever placed an order and got a confirmation. Stop giving bogus reasons. These guys had advertised this prominently. As I understand it, some folks are getting theirs and some aren't. That's the problem I have here.

Edited by trane_fanatic

Or maybe they should take a hint from United Airlines (whose error was far worse) and honor that particular price for whoever placed an order and got a confirmation. Stop giving bogus reasons. These guys had advertised this prominently. As I understand it, some folks are getting theirs and some aren't. That's the problem I have here.

Perhaps we should all take the trouble to send them a complaint? For those who are interested, the

email address of the relevant Better Business Bureau is http://www.mnd.bbb.org/

Edited by sthomas

Mine got cancelled as well. Then I noticed my debit card had been charged.

I called Best Buy and they told me the supply had sold out. I said, Fine; why was my debit card charged? The rep told me that only an authorization had been placed on my account, and that the authorization would be gone in 24-48 hours.

Hopefully, by tomorrow morning, these charges will have disappeared, and I'll go back to my original plan, which was to go to BB on my lunch hour and hold 'em to the 39.99 price.

I don't have a problem cancelling the order. And really, was there any other way this was advertised other than by word-of-mouth? I'm not saying Best Buy shouldn't stick with the price that was on the website; but I do think that any reasonable person would realize that price was a mistake. I still hold by my theory that a disgruntled ex-employee set that price right before the weekend, before anyone else could catch it.

Now, if those charges DON'T go away, then we got problems!

Hopefully, by tomorrow morning, these charges will have disappeared, and I'll go back to my original plan, which was to go to BB on my lunch hour and hold 'em to the 39.99 price.

Good luck there, too. the small print in their Sunday ad said "minimum two per store", so unless you're one of the first two, you won't see that price either. Circuit City is even worse on that particular ploy. DeepDiscount and Amazon are both very expensive relative to list price on this one, so I may be waiting for awhile on this. CDUniverse is the only tempting price ($49.34).

Good luck there, too. the small print in their Sunday ad said "minimum two per store", so unless you're one of the first two, you won't see that price either.

True. However, outside of Sangrey (who's already said he's not going in there) and myself, how many other people in the D/FW area know/care about this box? ^_^