Sly & the Family Stone upcoming catalog upgrade

Big Al

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I was at the Rotterdam North Sea appearance. The video Brownie linked is one we all saw several minutes into the set as his sister and the band coaxed him out of the dressingroom. He stopped "Stand" midway, played and sang "If You Want Me To Stay", then facing the wrong way off his piano stool stared into (space?) for a while, was pointed back to the keyboard, got up, went to the front of the stage and said "I'm an old man. I'm gonna take a fuckin' break" and left for fifteen minutes, eventually returning for a very short set. The tragedy was that the band was absolutely great and his sister still sings very well, but Sly, the 'name' they need, was a mess. If this is indicative of his 'comeback,' he won't get away with it. The room was packed with people (ten thousand) at the beginning and people started leaving early on...

Reports from Sly Stone and the Family appearances at Nice and Montreux indicate the concerts there were near disasters with Sly Stone performing some four or five songs with the family for less than half an hour. The rest of the family was fine.

I disagree. I think he sounded like he could have sounded great - if he had wanted to.

The thing is, he intentionally withdrew into whatever world he withdrew into more than 30 years ago, and if it now seems like he doesn't want to be a total recluse anymore, it sure doesn't seem like he wants to step up and be Full Sized Sly anymore either.

That's his perogative, but damn, Full Sized Sly could still rule the world without too much effort. I thnk he knew than then and now. I also think that he really didn't want the job -then or now - and the only way to make sure that he didn't get it was Timber, All Fall Down, one way or the other.

It's a loss, to be sure, but at least he got his masterpieces made. There's no Smile type unfinished business hanging over his head, unless you wanna count ruling the world. And as much as I'd like to, hey, it's not a rush for me to see a lazy.

• 4 weeks later...