Sly & the Family Stone upcoming catalog upgrade

Big Al

Been listening to the ESSENTIAL collection in anticipation of this upgrade, and I think I'm gonna spring for the box. This is because I already had been enjoying the early tracks and wanted to hear those albums; of course, STAND and RIOT I'd been waiting on for years.

But then there's this album called FRESH. Man, I've been wearing out the digitals on the CD listening to the tracks from that album on ESSENTIAL. I said it before: it's like listening to a Prince album, or rather the kind of album Prince wishes he could make. Are the rest of the tracks on FRESH as funky and tight as those that are on ESSENTIAL?

If You Want Me To Stay indeed!!!! :tup

Edited by Big Al

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the rest of the tracks on FRESH as funky and tight as those that are on ESSENTIAL?

I don't think so. But mine is a widely but far from universally held opinion. I'd say it's a 40/60 affair at best. The focus was fading fast, and there are moments of bland inertia as well as moments that shine with at least some of the old sparkle (and "In Time" is one of the marvels of the age by anybody's standards).

To it's credit, it's an album where even the lesser cuts can get by on groove, if that's enough for you and/or you don't pay too much attention to what the shit could/should have been. Soon, such was not to be the case.

Still, it's the last full album by Sly that anybody things is worth a damn in any proportion.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the rest of the tracks on FRESH as funky and tight as those that are on ESSENTIAL?

I don't think so. But mine is a widely but far from universally held opinion. I'd say it's a 40/60 affair at best. The focus was fading fast, and there are moments of bland inertia as well as moments that shine with at least some of the old sparkle (and "In Time" is one of the marvels of the age by anybody's standards).

I think Jim hit the nail right on the head here.

NO WAY.

FRESH is all that and more. In fact someone said this is the LP Prince wishes he made , this is probably true ...but more like the Album that inspires him. Back in 94/95 Prince and his band were talking this album up in the music rags and covering a lot of Sly songs .

In Time and If you want me to stay are masterpieces . also not far behind Babies makin Babies !!!

Skin I'm In !!!..and Que Sera Sera !!!...Frisky is another great song. It's a great album and one of my most

played Sly records.

Honestly if my wife knew what enablers you all were, she would figure out a way to block this website. But anyway, the Best Buy pre-order price for the box set is very good ($10 better than CD Universe) and so, of course, I went ahead and bought it. At least this is music that she will enjoy as well, though she probably wouldn't have bought all 7 CDs.

$39.99 pre-order on the best buy website , i guess the stores will be $49.99 .

maybe i will pre-order.....

Anyone found the best price for UK buyers? Bestbuy only ship within the US.

BTW Amazon.uk are quoting £43.99 or over $86! It will probably be best to wait for a few weeks and check to see what their US resellers decide to sell it for - but can I wait that long?

Aren't we supposed to boycott Best Buy though?

Yes, whenever they are not having really good deals on cds that we want. :P

I thought we were just supposed to boycott the stores themselves. I'm not setting foot inside of a Best Buy. Or maybe it was just buy the loss-leader CDs like this one, and then not buy anything else from them. Anyway, I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it.

I'm torn. $39.99 was a good price, but now I feel I missed out on an even better deal. But it would be way too much of a headache to return the box (already on its way) and to order again. Plus, I can't imagine the price will last too long before they catch this.