Sly & the Family Stone upcoming catalog upgrade

Big Al

thanks for posting & commentary-- i'm reading that like... what is this shit?

Q: i've forgotten is Larry a goddamn (not sorry) Jehovah's Witness (World HQ: Brooklyn)?

Last time I checked. Good friends with Prince, also a JW of late. What goes around, I guess...

Larry Graham hooked up with Prince at an aftershow after Emancipation came out and they clicked

right away, Prince had just suffered the loss of his child . Larry helped convert Prince into a JW.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the bonus DVD included in the box last night. A throw-away. I don't expect much with these bonuses that are common now, but they've failed to meet my very low expectations.

too bad...

and the slipcase?

is it worth it buy the box instead of all the cd's apart?

cause the I see them in stores here everywhere, for 7 ot 8 euro's, and I should be looking for the box...

JB

Edited by JohnBlutarski

Watched the bonus DVD included in the box last night. A throw-away. I don't expect much with these bonuses that are common now, but they've failed to meet my very low expectations.

too bad...

and the slipcase?

is it worth it buy the box instead of all the cd's apart?

cause the I see them in stores here everywhere, for 7 ot 8 euro's, and I should be looking for the box...

JB

The box is nothing special. If you can get the individual CDs for roughly the same price, go for it.

51MIkjxyWNL._AA240_.jpg

Nobody's talking too much about Small Talk but I find that it is a beautiful album with wonderful musical touches throughout. Matthew says: This is worth checking out. :tup

I just listened to it this morning and found it depressing as hell. I was about to post a question of "Was there any reason to include this album in the box? Other than to show how far Sly had fallen since Stand?" IMO, it's not any good as an album, much less as a Sly album.

Fresh, OTOH, now THAT is one funky-ass album! Got it groovin' right now!

51MIkjxyWNL._AA240_.jpg

Nobody's talking too much about Small Talk but I find that it is a beautiful album with wonderful musical touches throughout. Matthew says: This is worth checking out. :tup

I just listened to it this morning and found it depressing as hell. I was about to post a question of "Was there any reason to include this album in the box? Other than to show how far Sly had fallen since Stand?" IMO, it's not any good as an album, much less as a Sly album.

I listened to it this morning and I liked it. I'll have to give it a couple of more spins to see if I'm way off base on this. :wacko:

I'm listening to this right now and don't understand the pan either. It's not a butt-shaker, but it's got some great soulful moments. Different strokes, I guess!

51MIkjxyWNL._AA240_.jpg

I listened to it this morning and I liked it. I'll have to give it a couple of more spins to see if I'm way off base on this. :wacko:

Gotta admit that using the names of the three men thrown into the fire in the story of Daniel & Nebuchadnezzer (sp?), "Shadrach, Meschach, Abednego," is one of the FUNKIEST chants I ever heard!

It is a very cool chant.

Listening to this for the first time in probably twenty years. I'm enjoyin' the listen.

Hard to explain what I hear in Small Talk, some of the lyrics are very dark, to say the least, and they offer a contrast to those moments when Sly is trying to convince himself that life is fine. Seems that Sly Stone had this picture of what life could offer him, and yet the reality of what was going on in his life was dragging him in a different, darker direction. To use a biblical image: Sly sees two paths ahead of him, he knows what road he should take, but something is driving him to the other path. It strikes me that there is more to Small Talk that just the farewell of Sly...

Yea, I like Small Talk as well. The instrumentation is quite interesting: 100% certified Sly. I like some of the songs too.

Compared to what? Well, I personally enjoy it more than the first three albums.

Edited by John L

Hard to explain what I hear in Small Talk, some of the lyrics are very dark, to say the least, and they offer a contrast to those moments when Sly is trying to convince himself that life is fine. Seems that Sly Stone had this picture of what life could offer him, and yet the reality of what was going on in his life was dragging him in a different, darker direction. To use a biblical image: Sly sees two paths ahead of him, he knows what road he should take, but something is driving him to the other path. It strikes me that there is more to Small Talk that just the farewell of Sly...

Cool! Great post, BTW. I'll listen to it again with this in mind. :tup

That was the point of the whole Sylvester Stewart/"Sly Stone" dichotomy - Sylvester Stewart (who got all the writing credits at least up to Fresh, after that, I don't remember) was the idealist, Sly Stone was his "in the life" alter-ego.. Eventually, Sly "killed" Sylvester & then went about the business of almost literally killing Sly.

If the liners for the box/reissues don't at least touch on this, they're not doing their job.