Christmas songs you absolutely HATE!

Big Al

Now, I don't want anyone saying "All of them;" that's no fun. I mean the ones that make you wanna punch a hole in the radio when you accidentally pull it up on the dial. Or those that make you run screaming from whatever shop you're in.

Some of mine:

"Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt (heard it 1,000 times too many)

"Happy Xmas (War is Over)" by John Lennon (ESPECIALLY when Yoko starts warbling)

Any Christmas song destroyed by Kenny G, because.... well, just because. But really because hearing him play just makes me ANGRY! :rmad:

Anything by Mannheim Steamroller (their music has all the subtlety of said steamroller)

Fire away!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on Kenny G and Mannheim Steamroller.

I hate McCartney's Christmas song more than Lennon's. Sounds like he drafted Mannheim into the keyboard section.

Yoko's warbling is priceless on the Lennon Christmas ditty. Usually she's buried below the sounds of turning nobs and winking eyes in the mix.

I hate McCartney's Christmas song more than Lennon's. Sounds like he drafted Mannheim into the keyboard section.

HA! How could I forget the supermarket's favorite Christmas song? This really is a terrible "song," and I'm stretching here by referring to it as such. But....... I've always had a soft spot for it, so..... :blush:

I was about to start this exact same thread! It occurred to me while driving and practically putting my car in the ditch as I desperately reached for station change button.

Happy Christmas (War Is Over)-John Lennon Ugh, I'm with everyone else here and it's not just because of Yoko. Do I really need to hear this 5000 times over the holidays? The argument, "But it's John Lennon" doesn't work for me.

Silent Night (or anything else for that matter)-Aaron Neville Anything by him is root canal, fingernails on the chalkboard excruciating. I can't stand that yodeling, gargling warble of his. This is Christmas music for those who deserve to be punished.

Do You Hear What I Hear?-Whitney Houston Too excessive, indulgent and over the top. Very annoying.

Little St. Nick by the Beach Boys is getting there. Another victim of (way) overplay.

Also, what's that one that sounds like the Huns are on a quest to rape, burn and pillage the land?

Edited by mikelz777

Silent Night (or anything else for that matter)-Aaron Neville Anything by him is root canal, fingernails on the chalkboard excruciating. I can't stand that yodeling, gargling warble of his. This is Christmas music for those who deserve to be punished.

I think I heard one of his songs at the bank today. I'd never heard it before, but LAWD it was horrible. You just described the "singing" perfectly, so I'm assuming it was Neville. BLEAH!!!!

First Bird, now Aaron Neville.

Different things altogether, but...

Do you know who this man really is, outside of some admittedly cheesy made-for-Top-40 snacks of the last 10-15 years?

Al, we really need to sit down and have a talk sometimes. That's what friends are for. :g

'Silent Night (or anything else for that matter)-Aaron Neville Anything by him is root canal, fingernails on the chalkboard excruciating. I can't stand that yodeling, gargling warble of his. This is Christmas music for those who deserve to be punished.'

Glad to see it's not just me. He drives me nuts.

I hate Mel Torme's 'Christmas Song' with a homicidal passion.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

'Silent Night (or anything else for that matter)-Aaron Neville Anything by him is root canal, fingernails on the chalkboard excruciating. I can't stand that yodeling, gargling warble of his. This is Christmas music for those who deserve to be punished.'

Glad to see it's not just me. He drives me nuts.

You too, eh? Wow...

c18563w4n35.jpg

Aaron Neville is to to New Orleans R&B singing what Zig Modisette is to New Orleans R&B drumming. Judging him by the "recent" radio pap he's made is akin to judging Sinatra by "Strangers In The Night".

I heard a pretty horrible version of Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer by Diana Ross and the Supremes earlier this week. I'd never heard there take on this one and hopefully I wont get another opportunity in this lifetime. "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses is somthing that should be jetisoned to the vortex also.

HA! How could I forget the supermarket's favorite Christmas song? This really is a terrible "song," and I'm stretching here by referring to it as such. But....... I've always had a soft spot for it, so..... :blush:

I have a soft spot for it too! I truly dislike popular Christmas songs (I'd much rather listen to O Magnum Mysterium), but I always find myself singing along until the very last cheesy note of Paul McCartney's Christmas ditty. :ph34r:

First Bird, now Aaron Neville.

Different things altogether, but...

Do you know who this man really is, outside of some admittedly cheesy made-for-Top-40 snacks of the last 10-15 years?

Al, we really need to sit down and have a talk sometimes. That's what friends are for. :g

Anytime, my friend! Anytime! Lord knows there's a boatload of great music that I simply don't get. Any guidance (accompanied by the usual beers, provided by me of course) is always appreciated!

Anyway, I hope I didn't come across too judgemental of Neville by that one song alone; I certainly cannot judge him as I've never heard any of his music (oh Lord here it comes...... :w )

Edited by Big Al

and that rockin around the christmas tree

Lord have mercy YES!!! If I have to hear Amy Grant sing that song ONE MORE TIME.....

Amy Grant did that one? Oh lord help us all... :bad::bad::bad:

I do like Brenda Lee's version though. Just not 150 times a day.

Same label, same era, roughly - Bobby Helms "Jingle Bell Rock". Now that's one that gives me the willies...

and that rockin around the christmas tree

Lord have mercy YES!!! If I have to hear Amy Grant sing that song ONE MORE TIME.....

Amy Grant did that one? Oh lord help us all... :bad::bad::bad:

I do like Brenda Lee's version though. Just not 150 times a day.

Same label, same era, roughly - Bobby Helms "Jingle Bell Rock". Now that's one that gives me the willies...

Well, I'll count Brenda Lee's version as one I can go the rest of my life without hearing.

Anyway, I hope I didn't come across too judgemental of Neville by that one song alone; I certainly cannot judge him as I've never heard any of his music (oh Lord here it comes...... :w )

No, you can be excused (this time :g ) because most of Neville's reputation outside of the "deep" fans has come in the last 15-20 years or so, and it's been through (mostly) cheesey material & productions. But the cat's got a deep history, and a deep legacy.

The compilation pictured above is a good enough sampling of the prime early stuff (Allan Toussaint's all over it, and that's usually a good thing, at least back then), but there's others. Nothing comprehensive yet that I know of, but it's mostly all good - mid-late 60s New Orleans R&B of the finest variety. If Lee Dorsey was Tousaint's Mustang, always ready toi hit the streets and rumble, then Neville was his pimped out Lincoln, plush on the surface but deadly when needed.

For something later, check out two of the Neville Brothers A&M sides Yellow Moon & Brother's Keeper. Neitehr are consistently great, but they are often enough.

Oh yeah, he had a solo album with that insipid hit cover version of "Everybody Plays The Fool", but it also had a killer version of John Hiatt's "It Feels like Rain" and an ethereal-out-the-ass reading of "Ave Maria". The "yodel" thing is in there, so be forewarned.

But dude, Aaron Neville has paid some dues and reeks of soul when he's not making records that just reek, period. :g

Well, I'll count Brenda Lee's version as one I can go the rest of my life without hearing.

I dunno, man, Brenda Lee's cool w/me, in measured & regulated doses.

Anyway, 3-5 times a season is the most I can handle even the best of these things (10 or so for "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" by Darlene Love & a few others from the Spector thing, more than 10 - but less than 20 - for anything off the Bing Crosby Christmas album I've heard all my life). I just don't listen to them unless I want to. Otherwise, it's The Cone Of Silence for me. Practice has made perfect!