Alice Coltrane/Pharoah Sanders

jpmosu

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is an unissued session with Shorter and Tyner together on Blue Note, but I don't believe it has Coltrane on it. Can't remember what the line-up is, but I do remember some time ago that Cuscuna, via reports through board members, was perplexed that more people weren't clamoring for this one.

There is an unissued session with Shorter and Tyner together on Blue Note, but I don't believe it has Coltrane on it. Can't remember what the line-up is, but I do remember some time ago that Cuscuna, via reports through board members, was perplexed that more people weren't clamoring for this one.

That is strange. It should be released.

Here are the details:

Wayne Shorter Quintet

Wayne Shorter: tenor saxophone

Barbara Burton: vibes, bells, percussion

McCoy Tyner: piano

Miroslav Vitous: bass

Alphonse Mouzon: drums, percussion

A&R Studios, NYC, October 13, 1970

rejected Blue Note

tk.3 Pt. 1: The Creation

tk.4 Pt. 2: B. Because

tk.5 Pt. 3: Cee

tk.7 Pt. 4: Dee

tk.8 Pt. 5: Effe

Wayne Shorter Quintet

These are three fifths of Weather Report's first lineup (Zawinul and Airto missing) - making it all the more interesting.

Wayne Shorter Quintet

These are three fifths of Weather Report's first lineup (Zawinul and Airto missing) - making it all the more interesting.

Wow. I never knew that. All the more reason for this to be released!

• 15 years later...

cover.jpg?format=1000w

Alice Coltrane: Reflection On Creation And Space (A Five Year View)

reflection+back.jpg?format=1000w

CeEVfKMW0AAKdEo?format=jpg&name=small

This double album is an 82-minute compilation of previously issued Alice Coltrane recordings from her Impulse! sessions. What makes it interesting is that most of the tracks are edited versions which seamlessly transition into each other, making it a sort of Alice Coltrane DJ experience. I didn't think I'd like hearing "incomplete" tunes, but that wasn't the case at all. Ed Michel (with Bob Thiele?) did an excellent job putting this together in 1973. All four vinyl sides could actually fit on one compact disc. I'd buy it! I'm a little surprised that a boutique label hasn't tried to put this compilation out. I think it could attract new listeners.

On 3.11.2004 at 8:18 AM, mikeweil said:

On 5.11.2004 at 5:48 AM, Guy Berger said:

She played (uncredited) on the first WR album.

Guy

Yes, Zawinul's excellent biography makes it quite clear. Burton plays practically all percussion on WR 1st album. Airto just added few minor touches (he can be heard vocalizing somewhere, if I remember correctly.) So this unreleased thing is basically Weather Report with McCoy instead on Zawinul. :-)

Edited by sambrasa

On 11/2/2004 at 0:41 PM, Late said:

If you've never heard Cecil McBee with Pharoah Sanders, check out the track "Love" from Thembi. The Penguin Guide always dumps on this album, but I think it, along with Black Unity, is one of Pharoah's best from his Impulse! output.

I like it a lot, but there is a lot of space given to other instruments, not tons of Pharoah.  "Morning Prayer" may be Lonnie Liston Smith's greatest moment.  The whole second side of the album has a great flow to it, like a suite.  I'm all in on Pharoah's Impulse albums, even though they are internally inconsistent, and any given album can be (and often is) all over the place.  They make for fascinating (though occasionally maddening) listens.   And I have no problem listening to the long cuts the whole way through.

• 6 months later...

Pharoah Sanders Impulse! titles, on compact disc, are available again — on January 20, 2021. This will be only the second time that Live At The East has been available on compact disc. Tauhid and Karma aren't in this batch, but the rest are. Too bad Alice Coltrane titles weren't added. Still!

[Oh, it looks like Love In Us All, also isn't in the list.]

On 11.11.2020 at 7:32 PM, Late said:

Pharoah Sanders Impulse! titles, on compact disc, are available again — on January 20, 2021. This will be only the second time that Live At The East has been available on compact disc. Tauhid and Karma aren't in this batch, but the rest are. Too bad Alice Coltrane titles weren't added. Still!

[Oh, it looks like Love In Us All, also isn't in the list.]

Live at the East was the first Pharoah Sanders LP I purchased when I was a teenie. It´s quite used but still sounds good. Once, at a Pharoah Sanders concert I had the LP with me and thought Maybe I get him to sign it to me, but then I thought better not, he didn´t look like someone you go up to him and ask him to sign a record…..

On 4/20/2020 at 10:24 AM, felser said:

I'm all in on Pharoah's Impulse albums, even though they are internally inconsistent, and any given album can be (and often is) all over the place.  They make for fascinating (though occasionally maddening) listens. And I have no problem listening to the long cuts the whole way through.

I echo this sentiment. Depending on context, a Sanders Impulse! record creates a great vibe.

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Why was that? I know very little about Sanders as a person but always assumed, almost certainly wrongly, that he would have been quite mellow.

He probably is but I do see what Gheorghe states. I saw him having a drink in The Bimhuis restaurant before a gig and was trying to get my act together and as for an autograph. Then I saw his look and decided not too. He has this very serious, almost angry look. And that is probably one big prejudice but still: it made me decide to have a drink myself and put my cd back in my jacket....

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

R-7005407-1431504361-7713.jpeg.jpg

Seeing reissue on compact disc for the first time. UCCI 1050. (CD Japan lists it as "Turiya Singles," which makes it sound like Alice cut some 45's for radio play!)

I've never heard the album. Google Translate has this to say about it:

Impulse Records, a prestigious jazz label that has produced many artists who have had a lot of influence on the history of music, such as Charlene Mingus, Sonny Rollins, and Quince Jones, will celebrate its 60th anniversary. To commemorate the Anniversary Year, the 1982 spiritual masterpiece "Turya Things" by piano, organ and harpist Alice Coltrane, one of the label's leading artists, has been released on CD for the first time. The original was a sound source that was distributed only on a cassette called AVATAR BOOK INSTITUTE (ABI-100) in 1982, and it has a very simple organization of organ, synthesizer, and vocals that sets it apart from other sound sources of Alice Costlane. Kirtan refers to meditation performed in the name of God, also known as "singing yoga." As the name suggests, it is a pioneering content of healing music that immerses you in your heart.