jpmosu

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

There’s an interesting interview with Ravi Coltrane in the new Mojo where he talks about this release and also that there are tons more recordings still in the archive and the next thing to come out this autumn is another John Coltrane Quartet live album recorded in 1965 the same week as Live in Seattle!

36 minutes ago, Harbour said:

There’s an interesting interview with Ravi Coltrane in the new Mojo where he talks about this release and also that there are tons more recordings still in the archive and the next thing to come out this autumn is another John Coltrane Quartet live album recorded in 1965 the same week as Live in Seattle!

Issue 333 with Amy Whinehouse on the cover? 

• 4 weeks later...

Listening to Turiya Sings, as Ravi Coltrane explains in the notes, this is not the same as the cassette release. This is simply the raw tape of Alice Coltrane on Wurlitzer organ and vocals, without the additions/orchestrations which were on the original release..

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 7:25 AM, Harbour said:

... there are tons more recordings still in the archive and the next thing to come out this autumn is another John Coltrane Quartet live album recorded in 1965 the same week as Live in Seattle!

I wonder where the date was — still the Penthouse? I also wonder if it's this broadcast:

the-unissued-seattle-broadcast.jpg

Even if it is, I'd still go for an authorized version.

On 6/23/2021 at 4:25 PM, Harbour said:

There’s an interesting interview with Ravi Coltrane in the new Mojo where he talks about this release and also that there are tons more recordings still in the archive

I got this the other day. Mainly for this interview, but also for the article on the 50th of Sticky Fingers (this and Exile on Main Street and also Beggars Banquet are the Stones' favorite for me) and the cover feature, Amy Winehouse.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

https://jazz.centerstagestore.com/collections/alice-coltrane/products/alice-coltrane-the-carnegie-hall-concert-2cd

Ships on March 22, 2024

Alice Coltrane’s The Carnegie Hall Concert is a previously unreleased recording of a historic 1971 concert. The original multi-track recording was commissioned by Impulse but wasn’t released at the time. Featuring an all-star group including Pharaoh Sanders, Archie Shepp, Jimmy Garrison, Cecil McBee, Ed Blackwell and others, this was a triple bill placing her in the company of Laura Nyro and The Rascals. Concert produced by Sid Bernstein, who promoted the first Beatles concert in the US.

Tracklist: 

CD 1
1. Journey in Satchidananda
2. Shiva-Loka

CD 2
1. Africa
2. Leo

That's great news, instant purchase. I just read this which suggests there may be more releases to come, hope so

"in 2024 they’ve partnered with The John & Alice Coltrane Home to launch the “Year of Alice;” described as a “year-long celebration of Alice Coltrane’s profound work.” They’re kicking things off with Alice Coltrane – The Carnegie Hall Concert

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That's great news, instant purchase. I just read this which suggests there may be more releases to come, hope so

"in 2024 they’ve partnered with The John & Alice Coltrane Home to launch the “Year of Alice;” described as a “year-long celebration of Alice Coltrane’s profound work.” They’re kicking things off with Alice Coltrane – The Carnegie Hall Concert

I'll get it.

Nice. Definitely interested and glad I did not go for the bootleg.

I never but bootlegs and hardly own an unauthorized release but must admit I fell for the Alice Coltrane Berkeley Community Theatre release and ordere a copy from fnac.fr. I have a feeling they are not going to deliver as planned shipping time is somewhere in april... and it's not in print.  Its an amazing record that deserves an official release.