jpmosu

Alice Coltrane/Pharoah Sanders

112 posts in this topic

You have to wonder — what was the imperative for making new cover art? 

There’s an interesting interview with Ravi Coltrane in the new Mojo where he talks about this release and also that there are tons more recordings still in the archive and the next thing to come out this autumn is another John Coltrane Quartet live album recorded in 1965 the same week as Live in Seattle!

Wow. Thanks for the headsup.

36 minutes ago, Harbour said:

There’s an interesting interview with Ravi Coltrane in the new Mojo where he talks about this release and also that there are tons more recordings still in the archive and the next thing to come out this autumn is another John Coltrane Quartet live album recorded in 1965 the same week as Live in Seattle!

Issue 333 with Amy Whinehouse on the cover? 

47 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Issue 333 with Amy Whinehouse on the cover? 

Yup, tried to take a photo but keeps saying file is too big for here

Listening to Turiya Sings, as Ravi Coltrane explains in the notes, this is not the same as the cassette release. This is simply the raw tape of Alice Coltrane on Wurlitzer organ and vocals, without the additions/orchestrations which were on the original release..

oh...that's good to know, then. not looking for a duplication!

ydQjmnU.jpg

On 6/23/2021 at 7:25 AM, Harbour said:

... there are tons more recordings still in the archive and the next thing to come out this autumn is another John Coltrane Quartet live album recorded in 1965 the same week as Live in Seattle!

I wonder where the date was — still the Penthouse? I also wonder if it's this broadcast:

the-unissued-seattle-broadcast.jpg

Even if it is, I'd still go for an authorized version.

On 6/23/2021 at 4:25 PM, Harbour said:

There’s an interesting interview with Ravi Coltrane in the new Mojo where he talks about this release and also that there are tons more recordings still in the archive

I got this the other day. Mainly for this interview, but also for the article on the 50th of Sticky Fingers (this and Exile on Main Street and also Beggars Banquet are the Stones' favorite for me) and the cover feature, Amy Winehouse.