look at this - how to buy a essential jazz collection

jbs-tom

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing? Don't know ...

Record collectors do die one day too, record collections tend to come up for sale here and there and every now and then, and some sellers don't let them trickle onto the market but rather get rid of them in one go.

Seems to be the case both with the Jazz collection and the Garage/Psychedelic record collections that's come up here.

Not a bad move on the part of the seller, by the way, to let all the records finish almost at the same time. Last-minute snipers will have a hard time sniping all that many records one after another (like they might be able to do if the auctions end at 3, 4 or 5-minute intervals, for example). So they will have to bid a bit earlier, giving others a chance to raise the bids.

And let it be said once more:

What this seller offers DEFINITELY is NOT an "essential Jazz collection". This is just a representative collection of hard bop-based 50s/60s Jazz records. Nice enough anyway but remember Hard Bop is just ONE of MANY facets of Jazz and certainly would not cover the entire range of styles that Jazz has to offer (even if to a lot of self-proclaimed "Jazz" fans Hard Bop is the beginning and end of it all)

I for one would have been much more impressed if this particular lot had ALSO included a representative selection of "essential" records e.g. by Bob Cooper, Shorty Rogers, Art Pepper, Bud Shank, Lighthouse All Stars, etc. (not to mention the great MASTERS of Swing and Mainstream) - see? :D :D

Amazing? Don't know ...

Record collectors do die one day too, record collections tend to come up for sale here and there and every now and then, and some sellers don't let them trickle onto the market but rather get rid of them in one go.

Seems to be the case both with the Jazz collection and the Garage/Psychedelic record collections that's come up here.

Not a bad move on the part of the seller, by the way, to let all the records finish almost at the same time. Last-minute snipers will have a hard time sniping all that many records one after another (like they might be able to do if the auctions end at 3, 4 or 5-minute intervals, for example). So they will have to bid a bit earlier, giving others a chance to raise the bids.

What this seller offers DEFINITELY is NOT an "essential Jazz collection". This is just a representative collection of hard bop-based 50s/60s Jazz records. Nice enough anyway but remember Hard Bop is just ONE of MANY facets of Jazz and certainly would not cover the entire range of styles that Jazz has to offer (even if to a lot of self-proclaimed "Jazz" fans Hard Bop is the beginning and end of it all)

I for one would have been much more impressed if this particular lot had ALSO included a representative selection of "essential" records e.g. by Bob Cooper, Shorty Rogers, Art Pepper, Bud Shank, Lighthouse All Stars, etc. (not to mention the great MASTERS of Swing and Mainstream) - see? :D :D

Agree with that... same old hysteria, with same esnipers, same music, same records seen a hundred times, (all are very rare, the occansion of a lifetime etc etc etc...) same japaneses / taiwanese / coreans etc... no description of the records, no picture, unpolite answers to questions '"yes mate" "nope mate !". The worst in Ebay auction is here.

i think we should be fair:

of course there are existing thousands of even more "essential" jazz records (and by the way this topic i did not start to discuss ALL essential records on this planet), but also we must admit these are a lot jazz masterpieces in superb condition (if description is right) and all ending same time from one seller.

Edited by jbs-tom

Amazing? Don't know ...

Agree with that... same old hysteria, with same esnipers, same music, same records seen a hundred times, (all are very rare, the occansion of a lifetime etc etc etc...) same japaneses / taiwanese / coreans etc... no description of the records, no picture, unpolite answers to questions '"yes mate" "nope mate !". The worst in Ebay auction is here.

... to the point "seen a hundred times":

we should not make the mistake only because a record is NOT rare, it can not be essential /a masterpiece!! ´

same with the price of course: a high price is not = essential or a masterpiece

I had my eyes :crazy: on several items like:

- Curtis Fuller 'Bone and Bari'

- Hank Mobley Sextet

- Jackie McLean 'Lights Out'

and some others.

All at incredible low prices

The secret is out :excited: They'll all probably go for much higher :(

yeah i know sorry for that :P - but i thought we are a big family :lol:

i will try to get the lou donaldson time is right (so stay off all others please - lost already yesterday the gene shaw lp :crazy:

and maybe one more, got the bennie green in mind "on the scene"

A collection of jazz, in order to be described as essential, at least to me, would include good examples of the genre from it's inception at the turn of the last century to the present day. If it doesn't it's probably not better than the collections most of us here have now.

Jazz certainly didn't start in the 1950s, although a lot of it was recorded during that decade. Most of the rare recordings come from way before that and in order to present a full view of jazz's evolution, a collection worth paying big bucks for would have examples of the entire history of jazz.

So, pass.;)

Edited by patricia

No picture, rude guy, no response to questions (i tried)... This seller could have been the kind of seller i used to deal with in France before Ebay... everything was dubious from the beginning. The worst of Ebay. And the worst of the worst : someone probably made the "buy it now offer" off ebay...Good riddance. :beee:

• 2 weeks later...

The seller wanted to improve the listings... well in that case, a photograph may help a little.. Anyway... condition ? who cares ? Its Colossus, man ! Very rare ! impossible to find the occasion of a lifetime grab it while you can i doubt you will find a better copy you will have a hard time finding another copy good luck finding another copy probably the finest copy we hever had near archival copy of this classic the vinyl is lustrous and unblemished the corners are sharp deep groove flat edge, flat groove deep edge i hate to part with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAZZ-LP-Sonny-Rollins-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Michel