look at this - how to buy a essential jazz collection

jbs-tom

The seller wanter dot improve the listings... well in that case, a photograph may help a little.. Anyway... condition ? who cares ? Its Colossus, man ! Very rare ! impossible to find the occasion of a lifetime grab it while you can i doubt you will find a better copy you will have a hard time finding another copy good luck finding another copy probably the finest copy we hever had near archival copy of this classic the vinyl is lustrous and unblemished the corners are sharp deep groove flat edge, flat groove deep edge i hate to part with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAZZ-LP-Sonny-Rollins-...1QQcmdZViewItem

My point is that the 'unamed bidder' lock his targets out, and if he can afford such big money for Colossus, I presume we have no chances on every records he want. Unless I will win saturday's lottery, better I go to play it, before it's too late.

Edited by porcy62

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Of course ! I asked for a scan for an album i plan to bid on. Never answered. I bid a very little amount. Then all auctions cancelled. Then they were back... Never bid again ! It was dubious from the beginning ! Anyway, if one can bid up to 1500 + $ for something that he has not even seen on a scan.... I don't feel like crying for thoses guys

Edited by Michel

did anyone understand the reason he gave for closing the aucions? "a mistake in my listings" don't see why he had to close auctions on anything he could offer again the next week... how could he hope to explain anything with this "big apology"?

Hello again to my auctions...first of all a big apologies to all who were bidding on my

previous auctions : I understand your disappointment .I was forced to close them all after a mistake in listing ,completely my fault (as I've already explained to many who have contacted me privately). So here they are again, they are ABSOLUTELY the same records I was auctioning last week, no one has been sold privately , as there was so much interest on them. All jazz auctions have been improved adding all those authenticity details when needed (such as exact adressess on labels/covers , matrix stamps, year of release and so on..) so everything should work fine now. Plus I've added a new bunch of 50 great jazz LPs, from the very same collection. As always please feel free to ask for any info you may require. Again, apologies and good luck on these new auctions. I've planned to finish them just after 25th, so grab yourself (or to your dear ones) a great Christmas present...Regards

RECORDSFORALL

I tried to contact him in order to spare shipping cost and paypal fees, (and I admit for hoping to have a first closer look at the collection he acquired, Shame on me!). His answear was that he couldn't accept bids from Italy because of some unclear tax problems, so I had to withdraw a bid, but he offered me to withdrawn some auctions I am interested to and sell through the shop. Actually I was interested in some of his records, so I asked him to contact me, by mail or phone, or at least give the name of the shop.

Never got an answear.

I made a small research between my vinyl dealers in Rome, there aren't so many in here, nobody knows about it.

All the story stinks.

Maybe a stolen collection, or some tax evasion. Don't know.

About taxes how it works with Paypal? I mean that only a close investigation in your bank account can reveal some proof of your income. What is paypal policy about it?

I tried to contact him in order to spare shipping cost and paypal fees, (and I admit for hoping to have a first closer look at the collection he acquired, Shame on me!). His answear was that he couldn't accept bids from Italy because of some unclear tax problems, so I had to withdraw a bid, but he offered me to withdrawn some auctions I am interested to and sell through the shop. Actually I was interested in some of his records, so I asked him to contact me, by mail or phone, or at least give the name of the shop.

Never got an answear.

I made a small research between my vinyl dealers in Rome, there aren't so many in here, nobody knows about it.

All the story stinks.

Maybe a stolen collection, or some tax evasion. Don't know.

About taxes how it works with Paypal? I mean that only a close investigation in your bank account can reveal some proof of your income. What is paypal policy about it?

Very interesting ! If he did not want to sell to a local collector like you, its probably because the scan was planned. The guy wants to be FAR from the sellers...Japan or US for exemple, are far from Europe. Maybe that is why he never answered to my scan question.

Really, i can't help thinking that this (probably) scam auction from Italy is the ultimate proof that the jazz record market is now definitely driven by foolishness and absurdity. I've checked all the prices, all the question asked by many potential buyers regarding items. Of course, many final prices were not as high, because there was no picture, and he is not reputable dealer. But it is tragical to see all those Pavlov's dogs and their big money ready to send thousand of $$$ to a seller who has no picture to provide, who stop the auction and reinstate it, describe everyhting as "Mint, period", and above all, state that "he's not familiar with this type of music, but, an obessessed collector has sold him all his NM records" : is there any serious collector ready to sell his collection to someone that is not a reputable and expert record dealer ? There is an enormous amount of lies, paradox etc... but the Pavlov's dog doesn't want to see that : "blue prestige note blue note riverside blue note blue note prestige blue note" "hank mc lean, sonny mobley, lee clark, stanley jones and thad turrentine" "be bop hard bop" that's all. In other words, this is well deserved. :w

oh now his feedback is private !!

i am really glad i have started this topic - although from the beginning under another more positive aspect - but it really shows, you should be not getting blind for blue notes :crazy:

not that bad, just decided yesterday to focus more on blues records now (too much jazz the last months and really no "new sounds from the blue note, prestige, riverside family which i did not heard somehow or do not have in my collection ...

but let me know if somebody is selling his original issues of these 2 records: :wub:

lou donaldson - the time is right

bennie green - back on the scene

greetings

Edited by jbs-tom

Really, i can't help thinking that this (probably) scam auction from Italy is the ultimate proof that the jazz record market is now definitely driven by foolishness and absurdity. I've checked all the prices, all the question asked by many potential buyers regarding items. Of course, many final prices were not as high, because there was no picture, and he is not reputable dealer. But it is tragical to see all those Pavlov's dogs and their big money ready to send thousand of $$$ to a seller who has no picture to provide, who stop the auction and reinstate it, describe everyhting as "Mint, period", and above all, state that "he's not familiar with this type of music, but, an obessessed collector has sold him all his NM records" : is there any serious collector ready to sell his collection to someone that is not a reputable and expert record dealer ? There is an enormous amount of lies, paradox etc... but the Pavlov's dog doesn't want to see that : "blue prestige note blue note riverside blue note blue note prestige blue note" "hank mc lean, sonny mobley, lee clark, stanley jones and thad turrentine" "be bop hard bop" that's all. In other words, this is well deserved. :w

this guy had feedback so people thought he was legit. People pay big money for original pressings in nm condition because they afford the listener a unique experience that cannot be duplicated by later releases or some bs cd remasterings. I have never regretted buying a near mint jazz record... only wish I could buy more.

Vintage jazz lps will continue to appreciate, just like great works of art.... cause that's what there are.

this guy had feedback so people thought he was legit. People pay big money for original pressings in nm condition because they afford the listener a unique experience that cannot be duplicated by later releases or some bs cd remasterings. I have never regretted buying a near mint jazz record... only wish I could buy more.

Vintage jazz lps will continue to appreciate, just like great works of art.... cause that's what there are.

I'm a jazz vinyl collector and i completely agree with your statement. We all want NM records, we all love them. I sometimes paid big money for NM records, that i still enjoy each time i hold them in my hands, or put it on a turntable, even more when i listen to them. BUT, what i cannot understand is how people can bid so high, without any description, any image, and any contact with a seller. Yes definitely this is Pavlov's dog reaction, and has nothing to do with serious collection. If they are work of art, and yes they are, it is important to keep those wrong sellers and price gougers away from the market, and bid accordingly to the serious and reliability of an auction.

• 3 weeks later...

I was one of the gullible who lost money but now he's panicking. He sent me an email today apologising. pay pal have seized his account. He's the most stupid con artist I've ever come across. OK i was dumb to pay but he takes idiocy to extremes by giving us all fake registered numbers so we can prove that he's a liar early on, and then by not closing his account before it's seized, and then today by apologising for his crimes to us via ebay's official messaging service!!!! I almost feel sorry for him but I'll wait to get my money back first ......I have a theory about why he got him self into such a mess. I can't divulge to many details because it could prejudice my formal claim with pay pal. I'll post it later when i have the time cheers for now, K1969.

NEGOMETER latest - 22 and rising !

Edited by K1969

Dear all

I decided to take my entry down pending the outcome of the pay pal investigation - I do not want to prejudice their analysis of events with speculation. I hope you understand. I will write when all is concluded but silence for now is my best strategy. You've got the main gist already. sorry for this unconventional action. Thanks for your supportive comments. Regards for now, K1969

Edited by K1969